"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #4481
Sous Chef

Reading back a few posts, I'm not sure having a Peter Pan syndrome is the worst thing in the world. I'm almost 60 and I still love to decorate my dollhouses or collect model horses or have rats and mice as pets. I had a boss who was just a couple years older than me and was horrified that I still "played with dolls". I had to bite my lips to keep from reminding her that I also dived straight into the internet when we first got our computers at work (because it was fun and I'm never too old for new things that are fun) and she still couldn't figure out how to use the back button.

That's what happens when you let your mind get old and inflexible.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #4482
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Reading back a few posts, I'm not sure having a Peter Pan syndrome is the worst thing in the world. I'm almost 60 and I still love to decorate my dollhouses or collect model horses or have rats and mice as pets. I had a boss who was just a couple years older than me and was horrified that I still "played with dolls". I had to bite my lips to keep from reminding her that I also dived straight into the internet when we first got our computers at work (because it was fun and I'm never too old for new things that are fun) and she still couldn't figure out how to use the back button.

That's what happens when you let your mind get old and inflexible.
That's awesome. Too bad your boss could not see your hobbies as being a form of collecting instead of thinking you still "played with dolls."

I know a 60 year old geeky guy who goes to Toys R' Us every week to buy the latest action figures (sci-fi, horror). He keeps them in their packages.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:08 AM   #4483
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Almost all the men I know spend too much money at Toys r Us, not counting stuff for the kids.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 AM   #4484
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yeah CG. I send my daughter an email and she only gets half the message on her tablet. She also mention to me that happens when she sends her daughter an email also. And my kids laugh at me for insisting on an old fashion desk computer. But I have more memory than they ever will. And I get all my messages. Completely!
I used to cart the laptop whenever we went out of town, even if it was just for a night or two. Since I don't do anything that needs a secure internet connection when we're out of town, all I take is the tablet now. Since we were gone a whole three days for a family funeral, just the phone and tablet were enough. We were much too busy having fun spending time with family that I wasn't online often anyway.

I went back through the thread to find your original post about autism. December 17th of last year? No wonder I didn't see it only the tablet! It was such a non sequitur to the most recent posts that it totally threw me off.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:20 AM   #4485
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Reading back a few posts, I'm not sure having a Peter Pan syndrome is the worst thing in the world. I'm almost 60 and I still love to decorate my dollhouses or collect model horses or have rats and mice as pets...
Decorating dollhouses or collecting things isn't exactly Peter Pan Syndrome. After all, you admit to having a job! It's more along the lines of letting Mommy and Daddy support you even if you're a perfectly healthy, able-bodied adult. Think of the joke about the 35-year-old guy, playing video games while sitting around in his skivvies in him parents' basement, calling into sports talk shows to make stupid comments. THAT is the new Peter Pan.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #4486
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Yeah tablets are nice for watching Netflix or whatever on (media consumption device), but nothing beats a laptop or a desktop.

Can't write a school report, email, or a story on a tablet. Well you could if you use an external keyboard, but it's definitely not ideal.

My wife's best friend had to come over to our house every time she needed to print documents, forms, do her taxes, etc., as all she had was a Kindle Fire tablet. Her husband refused to get her a laptop -- "you have a computer already! I bought you that Kindle!" I told her "you earn as much money as him; go to Staples and get a $250 laptop and a printer, sheesh." :) Women's Liberation!
Better still let the husband do the taxes by hand, take them when he is through and pay to have copies made, or pay an outside company to do them. It will cost him almost half of what a computer and printer would cost him. Also remind him that by doing that, he has to leave his information regarding his address, phone number, SS numbers, ect., on someone else's computer. Unless they use a zip drive. And in today world of identity theft, it becomes a matter of who can you trust. Do you really want to trust a total stranger?
Old 04-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #4487
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Decorating dollhouses or collecting things isn't exactly Peter Pan Syndrome. After all, you admit to having a job! It's more along the lines of letting Mommy and Daddy support you even if you're a perfectly healthy, able-bodied adult. Think of the joke about the 35-year-old guy, playing video games while sitting around in his skivvies in him parents' basement, calling into sports talk shows to make stupid comments. THAT is the new Peter Pan.
Ah, I do collect the houses to the point where I may not live long enough to build them all, but after decorating them and getting all the furniture and accessories, I find I am arranging and rearranging all the time and having a blast. So yes, I really do "play" with them. Of course, we call it "interior design in miniature" and that sounds a lot better than "playing with the dollhouses".
Old 06-06-2016, 02:15 AM   #4488
Chef Extraordinaire

New breed of Eastern coyote

There is a new breed of Eastern coyote. Somewhere down the line a few of the coyotes mated with some wolfs. They have no fear of humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

I have no problem with letting animals of the wild live. But when they become a danger to humans they need to be either caught and relocated or shot on the spot.

So when one is spotted on a busy downtown city street and are threatening passing folks, there isn't always time to call animal control. The animal gets shot on the spot. Here come the animal lovers. I would suggest to them that they try to walk up to one of these creatures and try to calm and pat it. Think they will take me up on that suggestion?

There is a show on National Geo. called "Dr. K, Doctor to Exotic Animals" I refuse to watch her show. Her patients are animals that were caught and sold as pets. The owners of these animals are as guilty as the people who catch them for profit. Leave the animals in the wild alone. Let them live their lives naturally.

Another show is about a Vet in the Rocky Mountains who does spaying and neutering on the cheap. He serves the community that have normal pets like dogs and cats. Not some animal that comes from South America. There have been shows of his where someone spotted a big horn sheep that was hurt. He will got out and try to catch it to treat it. But it is ALWAYS let go to live its life where it belongs. In the wild.

The Yukon Vet serves wild animal preserves. These are animals that are endangered. These animals are kept on property that is expansive and they have the room to roam. They are fed out in the field and only brought in for needed care for hoofs, teeth, etc. Then they go back out with the herd.

Dr. Po serves the farming community. Cows, cattle, goats, horses, chickens, etc. Animals that are the income for the farm. He also serves family pets. But occasionally some one will bring in a lizard or other pet that belongs in the wild. He will take care of it, but you can tell by the tone in his voice, what he is thinking.

Vent over!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #4489
Executive Chef

There's an excellent series running on television in the UK at the moment called "Monkey Life" following the work of "Monkey World" in Dorset, England.

"Monkey World" is a huge sanctuary for rescued primates from all over the world. It concentrates on rescuing primates kept as pets or used illegally for commercial purposes and they also have a breeding programme for endangered species of apes and monkeys. The monkeys, none of which can be returned to the wild, live as closely as possible to the way they would live in the wild.

It was founded and is owned and managed by Dr Alison Cronin (and her late husband Jim who founded it). Very worth a look if it comes up on TV where you are as it shows what can be done for the animals.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #4490
Master Chef

working for a big company stinks in many ways, but my vent is about a petty thing. We do not get to update our software, it's all done by IT, when we are all asleep. And every time they do updates and upgrades I loose all my passwords and all my login information.
And now I have to go back and login into all the sites I use. Some of them I use so rarely I have no idea what my login is.