"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #461
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
i know everyone has bad days. yesterday was a really bad day. everything i touched went south. was sewing a pillow case. now i have probably made two dozen before. was doing envelope style. twice, i sewed the stupid seam wrong and had to rip out. first time, didn't have all layers together. have no clue what happened second time. then it turned out almost to small, had to really wrestle the pillow in it. my bobbin ran out and i sewed a half a seam without it. while filling bobbin the little thing that holds thread onto machine went flying across the room. of course it screwed up the bobbin. started it over, started to sew, heard a loud sound al la sewing over big pin. bent the needle . new one on and finally got the blasted thing done.

today almost went the same way. carefully squeezed 1/3 cup of lemon juice. the knocked the cup over. luckily i had more lemons. i am almost afraid to move. oh yeah i spilled an entire cup of coffee in the sunroom.

scary huh, bet someone here has had days like that, at least i hope so, would hate to think i am the only one.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #462
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Don't worry Babe, you're definitely not the only one! I'm sorry you had to go through it though!

I'm right there with you on the sewing, with the breaking needles, flying bobbins, etc. I learned a long time ago that if I am not in the mood to put a zipper in, I won't even try because if I do, I will surely be taking it out (which is miserable) and redoing it!

Hopefully that is behind you now and things are going more smoothly!
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #463
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Don't feel bad, Babe. It happens to all of us.

I find that if I make two mistakes in a row, while sewing, I stop. I'm just not having a good sewing day. I'll try again tomorrow.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #464
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I've mentioned before that I had stuff that I inherited from my mother shipped from Copenhagen. It's here in Montreal, in a warehouse.

I phoned customs and made sure to speak to someone in Montreal. They told me I needed copies of: a death certificate, will (or confirmation from a probate court, since my mum didn't have a will), bill of lading, and inventory signed by the executor. I asked if plain copies would be good enough or if I needed certified copies. I was told plain was okay. Much better for me, since my sister is the executor and she lives in California.

I went to customs today to get my stuff released. Now they tell me that I need certified true copies of the death certificate and confirmation from the court. Wasted trip. 60 km round trip and gas costs me $1.369/litre (my car needs the high octane stuff). I also fed the parking meter $2.75. It took three hours of my time. It's "tax season". I don't have time to waste. It didn't help that I slipped on ice and barely managed not to fall by grabbing my car. Gave me a real scare. I have osteoporosis. I broke my kneecap last year during tax season. That was a real nuisance. You can't drive with a broken right kneecap. Heck, you can hardly sit on a chair wearing the brace.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #465
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've mentioned before that I had stuff that I inherited from my mother shipped from Copenhagen. It's here in Montreal, in a warehouse.

I phoned customs and made sure to speak to someone in Montreal. They told me I needed copies of: a death certificate, will (or confirmation from a probate court, since my mum didn't have a will), bill of lading, and inventory signed by the executor. I asked if plain copies would be good enough or if I needed certified copies. I was told plain was okay. Much better for me, since my sister is the executor and she lives in California.

I went to customs today to get my stuff released. Now they tell me that I need certified true copies of the death certificate and confirmation from the court. Wasted trip. 60 km round trip and gas costs me $1.369/litre (my car needs the high octane stuff). I also fed the parking meter $2.75. It took three hours of my time. It's "tax season". I don't have time to waste. It didn't help that I slipped on ice and barely managed not to fall by grabbing my car. Gave me a real scare. I have osteoporosis. I broke my kneecap last year during tax season. That was a real nuisance. You can't drive with a broken right kneecap. Heck, you can hardly sit on a chair wearing the brace.
Oh no! I'm so sorry you got the run-around like that. And I'm so thankful you didn't hurt yourself again when you slipped.

Hopefully all this mess will be taken care of soon and you will be able to get all your stuff.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #466
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i know everyone has bad days. yesterday was a really bad day. everything i touched went south. was sewing a pillow case. now i have probably made two dozen before. was doing envelope style. twice, i sewed the stupid seam wrong and had to rip out. first time, didn't have all layers together. have no clue what happened second time. then it turned out almost to small, had to really wrestle the pillow in it. my bobbin ran out and i sewed a half a seam without it. while filling bobbin the little thing that holds thread onto machine went flying across the room. of course it screwed up the bobbin. started it over, started to sew, heard a loud sound al la sewing over big pin. bent the needle . new one on and finally got the blasted thing done.

today almost went the same way. carefully squeezed 1/3 cup of lemon juice. the knocked the cup over. luckily i had more lemons. i am almost afraid to move. oh yeah i spilled an entire cup of coffee in the sunroom.

scary huh, bet someone here has had days like that, at least i hope so, would hate to think i am the only one.
Sorry, Babe! I had one of those days, too.

I spent alot of time looking for the Hidden camera and waiting for Allan Funt to show up.

Taxlady, I'm glad you didn't get hurt.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #467
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
I don't think I can actually say I'm venting but, at the moment, I'm just plain old hurting.

Yesterday I took a short drive to Paris (Tennessee, that is) to scope out the shopping there. It's kind of a small and quaint area that Glenn and I have gone to a number of times on the motorcycle. It's also where the best barbecue can be found. Gotta have our priorities.

At any rate, I had just made my first stop (at the barbecue place) to buy a rack of ribs. The last time we were there on the bike, Glenn commented on how good they looked. Since I was going to Paris yesterday, it only seemed reasonable that I should stop and get some ribs for supper.

I got out of the car and walked the few feet to the building, didn't see a rise in the concrete, and tripped and fell. Hard, full forward on both my knees, palms and stomach. There was NOTHING to grab to stop the fall.

Now, I have a very bad right knee and hit it the hardest. Fortunately I was wearing heavy sneakers and jeans, so there was no real broken skin, etc. Although, my right knee did get sort of a rug burn and a heck of a bump because that's what hit first. Swelled up such that my jeans felt like a tourniquet.

One of the employees saw me fall and came out to help me up and assist in gathering up my keys and purse. There was a bench nearby and he helped me there to sit for a minute to gather my thoughts. I felt pretty well, but was hugely sick to my stomach from hitting the ground so hard. It was all concrete/asphalt.

So...I bought the ribs and went on my way. Finished my tour of Paris and drove home.

By the time I arrived home, my knees were throbbing (especially the right one) and the swelling had continued. I could bend everything, so I felt assured that nothing was broken. Did notice that, when I fell, I must've stubbed my toes on my left foot because the nail on the big toe is almost off. Well, crap, just in time for sandal weather.

Had a pretty miserable night last night in spite of my doses of Excedrin and ice packs. Today's so-so and the swelling is going down, but the technicolor is beginning to show itself.

I've stayed off my feet since arriving home yesterday and will continue to do so well into tomorrow. I'll determine what I do tomorrow based on how tonight goes and how I feel in the morning. We have nothing pressing to do, so I can be a lazy slug if I want. It's rainy, cold and crappy outside and I'm not eager to spend time there. If it were sunny and nice, that'd be another story.

Anywho...guess this is what happens when one officially becomes a senior citizen. At least that's what Glenn says since I signed up on Tuesday for social security. He must have been feeling sorry for me because he turned down the bed and had everything ready for me before I came to bed. I can see there are some advantages to this "helpless" thing.

On the bright side, maybe I'll audition for a part in a TV western. Glenn keeps calling me "Chester."
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #468
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Oh Katie, that was an awful fall! I hope you feel better soon. You may not believe this, but when I read your description of your fall I literally had pain shoot through my knees. The same thing happens if I see people jump off of high places--My back tightens up and I get a quick pain.

Take it easy today and let yourself heal.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #469
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Holy moly Katie! OUCH! I hear a stiff shot of bourbon or gin is just the thing for aches of that kind. Feel better soon.

My vents are petty and minor but I need to scream a bit. Everything electronic that I've touched today has died. (Pray that the laptop survives this post!) My watch died (probably the battery), my phone died (or next to it) I can't talk and be heard by anyone - AAAAAAAAAAAUGH! Now that is a HUGE issue for me as if my phone doesn't work, I can't get calls for my various jobs. So off I'll go to my store AGAIN. I probably did something stupid to it. The microwave screamed at me. I am afraid to touch anything else!


__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #470
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Holy moly Katie! OUCH! I hear a stiff shot of bourbon or gin is just the thing for aches of that kind. Feel better soon.

My vents are petty and minor but I need to scream a bit. Everything electronic that I've touched today has died. (Pray that the laptop survives this post!) My watch died (probably the battery), my phone died (or next to it) I can't talk and be heard by anyone - AAAAAAAAAAAUGH! Now that is a HUGE issue for me as if my phone doesn't work, I can't get calls for my various jobs. So off I'll go to my store AGAIN. I probably did something stupid to it. The microwave screamed at me. I am afraid to touch anything else!


Maybe you should take the bus?
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.