"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #471
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Maybe you should take the bus?
What? And mess up 30 other people's days?

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #472
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie Iread about your fall, but didn't write you yesterday. I can understand the pain sweetie. I'm hurting as well but from surgery wednesday to remove the pd Cath. See tha blasted surgeon next week to see if I'm healing. The man I hope is prepared for an outraged old lady. another story I'll spil the beans at a later date. But I'll ask One question. What would you do to handle anyone who lied to you about how they would sedate YOU for this surgery?
See ya sweetie, feel better and let Glenn get you through thiskades

Old 03-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #473
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Holy moly Katie! OUCH! I hear a stiff shot of bourbon or gin is just the thing for aches of that kind. Feel better soon.
Yeah! For medicinal purposes only, of course. Glenn and I have had a couple of sessions with Henry McKenna (bourbon) and I believe things are beginning to look up. I may have to go to bed with Glenn and Henry tonight. The aches are beginning to be a little more severe after 24 hours. Not sure why. Should lessen by now.

My biggest challenges are trying to get up from bed, chair, potty, etc. My palms and wrists are so sore and bruised that I'm getting quite creative and frustrated. I'm confident that tomorrow will be more positive.

Oh, Alix, you must feel as though you have something less than the Midas touch. Just hang on and look for coal-fired or gas-powered (not currently cost effective) appliances, etc.

Hang in there. Things WILL get better.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #474
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've mentioned before that I had stuff that I inherited from my mother shipped from Copenhagen. It's here in Montreal, in a warehouse.

I phoned customs and made sure to speak to someone in Montreal. They told me I needed copies of: a death certificate, will (or confirmation from a probate court, since my mum didn't have a will), bill of lading, and inventory signed by the executor. I asked if plain copies would be good enough or if I needed certified copies. I was told plain was okay. Much better for me, since my sister is the executor and she lives in California.

I went to customs today to get my stuff released. Now they tell me that I need certified true copies of the death certificate and confirmation from the court. Wasted trip. 60 km round trip and gas costs me $1.369/litre (my car needs the high octane stuff). I also fed the parking meter $2.75. It took three hours of my time. It's "tax season". I don't have time to waste. It didn't help that I slipped on ice and barely managed not to fall by grabbing my car. Gave me a real scare. I have osteoporosis. I broke my kneecap last year during tax season. That was a real nuisance. You can't drive with a broken right kneecap. Heck, you can hardly sit on a chair wearing the brace.
Hang in there. Things will get better.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #475
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Katie Iread about your fall, but didn't write you yesterday. I can understand the pain sweetie. I'm hurting as well but from surgery wednesday to remove the pd Cath. See tha blasted surgeon next week to see if I'm healing. The man I hope is prepared for an outraged old lady. another story I'll spil the beans at a later date. But I'll ask One question. What would you do to handle anyone who lied to you about how they would sedate YOU for this surgery?
See ya sweetie, feel better and let Glenn get you through thiskades
I'd make darn sure my Insurance didn't pay for any sedation or pain control. I might even take up knitting, but then...I can be vindictive. And if he has a website, or you want to rate him on Angie's List...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM   #476
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Katie! I'm so sorry to hear about your fall! If you can tolerate it, Ibuprofen can help.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #477
Chef Extraordinaire

oh katie, sounds so very painful. as you know i have fallen several times this past year. trust me you will find more places that hurt, places you didn't even know you had. just sit yourself down and stay there. whatever makes the pain go away , do it. keep an eye on all your spots that hurt . if swelling doesn't start to go down, go see dr. one of my falls i fractured my foot. it didn't even hurt, so keep an eye out for swelling that lasts to long i can truly say, i feel your pain. or rather i did . hugs and kisses
babe
Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #478
Assistant Cook

I have a number of food allergies and sensitivities, which make creative cooking so hard. There are foods I used to love which I now can't eat. It can make things so difficult. And on top of that my partner is one of the fussiest eaters I've ever come across. Heaps I'd love to try he flat out refuses to try and I feel it's pointless cooking for one.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #479
Head Chef

Whoa, folks! What a rough couple of days it has been out there. I do believe I'll just pick up a book and creep over to the chair and park. No sense pushing my luck.

I remember a Peanuts cartoon a long time ago -- I think it was Linus & Lucy, where Linus had gotten a boo-boo. Lucy said, You don't mind a little pain, do you? Linus said, Sure I do - pain hurts!

Hope all the aches & pains are letting up this morning. Someone tell me when it's safe to venture out again.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #480
Everymom

OK, whining works. After I posted about all my mechanical failures I set about trying to fix my phone. (I'm a bit stubborn) I fussed and fiddled and finally got irritated and walked away from it for a while. I came back and it worked. Go figure. Same thing with the watch...I picked it up, and set it to the correct time and danged if it didn't start running again! Daughter used the microwave...no problem. WEIRD!!! Not arguing, just saying, whining sometimes works!