"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #541
Chef Extraordinaire

I get accused of hoarding food in the freezers as well. I have a new rule for buying anything fresh (produce/fruit). I have to eat it within 2 days and until I eat it, I can't buy anything else. Right now I'm working on a pineapple...bought three on special before I remembered the juicer was in the "shop." I juice stuff--oranges, limes, apples, spinach, carrots, etc., and put the juices in the freezer...that way, I don't through out produce and fruit <g>. And, then I have juice for breakfast or lunch.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #542
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Glad to hear things are going better Rock. Yes, that is one beautiful doggie. Dogs and porcupines, what a PITA. Is it his first run-in?
This is his first run in with a porcupine. He, I should say we, went a couple of rounds with a tough old Muskrat a couple of summers ago, which left him with a good scar on his lip. That's a good story.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #543
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I get accused of hoarding food in the freezers as well. I have a new rule for buying anything fresh (produce/fruit). I have to eat it within 2 days and until I eat it, I can't buy anything else. Right now I'm working on a pineapple...bought three on special before I remembered the juicer was in the "shop." I juice stuff--oranges, limes, apples, spinach, carrots, etc., and put the juices in the freezer...that way, I don't through out produce and fruit <g>. And, then I have juice for breakfast or lunch.
I'm having fun trying to convince my husband who thinks he is Chef Tell that food stored in the freezer will not spoil!!!! He cleaned my house freezer of all the frozen garlic,basil,parsley I picked up at Trader Joes, bless his heart. Now I get to buy more plus he tossed the chicken I was going to roast tomorrow.Blah, bleep, boo, the Man has a very hard head. He feels he knows it all
kadesma
Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #544
Master Chef

When we finally got rid of the chest freezer last fall we found several packaged meat dated at least 2 years old buried at the bottom of the freezer.
I never understood my wife's logic in keeping fully stocked to the max two full sized refrigerators and a large chest freezer in a 2 person household.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #545
Executive Chef

I hoard meat in my freezer also. What I do to try and control the inventory is I store different meats in their own crates. I use milk crates for chicken(I have different packs like whole, half, pieces, breasts), one plastic container for assorted fish, another milk crate for beef products, and a larger container for my pork products(this one needs to be longer to accomodate the rediculous amount of ribs I somehow feel I need). I try and label everything with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie with the date that it went in there. Every so often I pull a container out and rummage through it , bringing the old stock to the top and refamiliarizing myself with what exactly I have.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #546
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
This is his first run in with a porcupine. He, I should say we, went a couple of rounds with a tough old Muskrat a couple of summers ago, which left him with a good scar on his lip. That's a good story.
We love stories. Who won, your pup or the muskrat?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #547
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
We love stories. Who won, your pup or the muskrat?
I came home from a gig early one morning, about 2:30. I usually let the dog out for a quick pee while I load my gear in and get ready for bed. While he was outside I took off my clothes and threw them down the basement stairs where the laundry room is. So, just then, I heard my dog barking. I was emmediatley scared because Malamutes rarely bark. It was only the second time I every heard him bark. I ran out back to see that he had this hissing muskrat on our deck. The Muskrat was the aggressor because he ran at our dog and latched on to his snout. My dog was spinning and yelping and this muskrat was hanging on for dear life with his teeth, going round and round. I ran in the house and grabbed the first thing I could, which was a cheap broom. Anyway, back out to the deck I went in nothing but my boxers. The Muskrat had let go, and he was about 10 feet from me and started to run at me. I was wacking at it like crazy and ened up breaking the broom handle in half, jumping up and down so he wouldn't bite my feet. My dog grabbed him by the back with his teeth and whipped him off of the deck. He then ran and lunged off of the deck, body slamming the Muskrat. I ran back in to grab something else and found a shovel. My dog had backed away and the Muskrat lay motionless. I figured he had knocked him out. I quicly unhooked my dog and led him in the house. I went back out to finish off the muskrat with the shovel and when I got there, it was gone. When I headed back to the deck stairs, the damn thing came at me again from under the deck. It was dark and I couldn't really see well, and I was pretty scared by then, so I turned and ran out of my yard and into the street. In my boxer shorts. With a shovel. Anyway, the thing ended up running away and I never saw it again. It took a decent chunk of flesh out of my dogs mouth, which he recovered fine from, but still has a scar. Me, well, I'm just glad that nobody was up to see me running around in my back yard and the street in nothing but my underwear and socks.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #548
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I came home from a gig early one morning, about 2:30. I usually let the dog out for a quick pee while I load my gear in and get ready for bed. While he was outside I took off my clothes and threw them down the basement stairs where the laundry room is. So, just then, I heard my dog barking. I was emmediatley scared because Malamutes rarely bark. It was only the second time I every heard him bark. I ran out back to see that he had this hissing muskrat on our deck. The Muskrat was the aggressor because he ran at our dog and latched on to his snout. My dog was spinning and yelping and this muskrat was hanging on for dear life with his teeth, going round and round. I ran in the house and grabbed the first thing I could, which was a cheap broom. Anyway, back out to the deck I went in nothing but my boxers. The Muskrat had let go, and he was about 10 feet from me and started to run at me. I was wacking at it like crazy and ened up breaking the broom handle in half, jumping up and down so he wouldn't bite my feet. My dog grabbed him by the back with his teeth and whipped him off of the deck. He then ran and lunged off of the deck, body slamming the Muskrat. I ran back in to grab something else and found a shovel. My dog had backed away and the Muskrat lay motionless. I figured he had knocked him out. I quicly unhooked my dog and led him in the house. I went back out to finish off the muskrat with the shovel and when I got there, it was gone. When I headed back to the deck stairs, the damn thing came at me again from under the deck. It was dark and I couldn't really see well, and I was pretty scared by then, so I turned and ran out of my yard and into the street. In my boxer shorts. With a shovel. Anyway, the thing ended up running away and I never saw it again. It took a decent chunk of flesh out of my dogs mouth, which he recovered fine from, but still has a scar. Me, well, I'm just glad that nobody was up to see me running around in my back yard and the street in nothing but my underwear and socks.
Especially swinging a broom or shovel.. Thanks for the story and the laugh.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #549
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Especially swinging a broom or shovel.. Thanks for the story and the laugh.
Yes, thank you for the good laugh Rock.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #550
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I came home from a gig early one morning, about 2:30. I usually let the dog out for a quick pee while I load my gear in and get ready for bed. ...Me, well, I'm just glad that nobody was up to see me running around in my back yard and the street in nothing but my underwear and socks.
Okay, I need a new keybaord, one without root beer all over it!

Thanks for the laugh!