"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #551
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Do they normally attack like that? As mad as he seemed to be and the fact that he kept coming back, I'd have been worried that he might have rabies.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #552
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Do they normally attack like that? As mad as he seemed to be and the fact that he kept coming back, I'd have been worried that he might have rabies.
This is what I initialy thought, also. We called the vet the next morning and she told us that she was almost positive that there were no rabies. Before rabies shows up in larger mammals of a certain area, it is detected long before in the bat population of that region. There hadn't been any rabies detected in our area in quite a while, so she was confident that this muskrat had no rabies. She told us to keep an eye on him and bring him in emmediately if we saw any odd behaviour. Which, we did and time passed and everything turned out fine.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #553
Chef Extraordinaire

Too funny (the chasing the muskrat with a shovel...), not that he attacked your dog. I haven't heard of muskrats attacking domestic pets...or people.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #554
Everymom

Must be my week. My students (3) informed me at 840am that they weren't coming to my 900am class today. I was already in my office and reading my email. Grrrr! I wouldn't have minded not coming in today and staying home with my kids. (Spring Break for my kids, but not for my college classes)

I'm going to take a deep breath, look at the bright side of things, (like getting paid for posting at DC ) and then head home. Lordy I can't wait for this week to be over. Its been a fun one.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #555
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Must be my week. My students (3) informed me at 840am that they weren't coming to my 900am class today. I was already in my office and reading my email. Grrrr! I wouldn't have minded not coming in today and staying home with my kids. (Spring Break for my kids, but not for my college classes)

I'm going to take a deep breath, look at the bright side of things, (like getting paid for posting at DC ) and then head home. Lordy I can't wait for this week to be over. Its been a fun one.
I am on my way to work...see if there is anything for me to do today! Although it is kinda fun to float from place to place, helping put out little fires here and there.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #556
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Too funny (the chasing the muskrat with a shovel...), not that he attacked your dog. I haven't heard of muskrats attacking domestic pets...or people.
Yeah, I agree. I'm thinking somehow the muskrat got up on the deck without seeing the dog, who has a long rope and can reach around the corner of the house. Maybe whent he dog came around he cornered the muskrat and it was acting out of self defence. I had just used my smoker that day and had yet to clean it, so it was probably smelling pretty good. Maybe that is why the thing came up in the first place to check it out.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #557
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I really doubt he'll be back.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #558
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:

I keep waiting for someone to pay me to post at DC, but so far no luck.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #559
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

When my students would come to me and say "I'm not going to be in class today, is that okay?" I would respond. "That's fine. I get paid whether you are in class or not." You should have seen the look on their faces.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #560
Chef Extraordinaire

was in a fabric store today. my granddaughter and great granddaughter were with me. the granddaughter was on the floor playing with some pamphlets. a man ( in a wheelchair) called it to my granddaughter's attention. we knew what she was doing and there was no harm in it. so we left her alone. the man said, if she had been in my store, when i had it. i would have charged for those. pamphlets no less. it really frosted me, i said " well how wonderful for you" i was still angry. granddaughter said let it go. he should have minded his own business. if she were playing with stuff that was for sale, we would have stopped her. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.