"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #571
Chef Extraordinaire

but what'll hide the cutout in the floor in the closet?

you know, where you keep the guns and money?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #572
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
but what'll hide the cutout in the floor in the closet?

you know, where you keep the guns and money?

Shhhh! Why do you do that? Nobody knew about them until you blerted it out!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #573
Chef Extraordinaire

aww, c'mon. everyone does that here in jersey. in fact, when house hunting the real eastate agents show how much closet space a house might have, and the caliber it can hold...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #574
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
aww, c'mon. everyone does that here in jersey. in fact, when house hunting the real eastate agents show how much closet space a house might have, and the caliber it can hold...
The guns are okay, but you just had to mention the money....now all my relatives will be wanting a cut!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #575
Sous Chef

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try the paper towel/bag/iron trick as soon as I can pick up some paper bags. We plan on renting a steam cleaner soon, we just have to get through this semester first. The purse hook is a great idea. the door to our utility closet is right next to the front door, maybe I'll just pick up one of those over-the-door hooks. I hadn't thought of that. We have a key hook in our tiny coat closet, but there's barely enough room for our coats. No room to hang a purse. PF, unfortunately since we're renting we're not allowed to make big changes like that. It's a great idea to keep in mind when we own someday though!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #576
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
We love stories. Who won, your pup or the muskrat?
How about a story about a cockatiel and our dogs? At the time, we had 5 dogs, 4 pugs of various sizes and a 90+ pound golden retriever/malamute mix girl. I'm upstairs in the shower in the back of the house, Craig is out front doing something and the dogs are out back in our fenced yard. I get out of the shower and all HE// is breaking loose outside, all the dogs are barking and having a fit and there's another strange noise in the mix. So, I wrap the bath towel (a big one) around me and run downstairs, yelling for Craig as I go flying past the garage door into the house on my way to the sliding glass door. Get the door open, don't see the dogs and they won't come in with me just calling them.

Okay, out I go, now remember I'm wrapped in a towel and I wasn't what you'd call a small person even back then, so it's not covering me totally and we live on a lake that a bunch of other houses back up to. I go around the corner of the family room and the dogs have formed a semi-circle around a poor little cockatiel they had backed up to the house and are all barking their fool heads off at it. It's all puffed up and squacking back at them. I finally get them to back off a little but, of course, they won't go back too much because they are too interested in this strange creature they found in THEIR yard. Craig still hasn't made an appearance and I really only have one hand to use because the other one is holding onto the towel for dear life so I don't put on a show for anybody that might be looking toward our house. I finally decide I am going to have to pick the poor little thing up to get it away from the dogs so I'm trying to reach down to catch it with both hands but trying to keep the towel in place. The poor little thing is so scared though that it jumped onto my hand and grabbed hold of my finger. I had almost made it back around to the door when Craig finally puts in an appearance and took the bird so I could go get dressed.

Kind of sad ending though, we took it for a ride around the neighborhood because we thought we knew the general vicinity of where it lived as we had heard a bird previously in one of the houses across the lake. Went to a couple of houses with it holding on to my finger and then at the third house when I opened the gate it just flew away and wouldn't come back to me. I've always hoped that was its house and its people found it when they came home.

But, while it wasn't funny at the time, the image of that little bird in a stand-off with the 1 big dog and the 4 little dogs with me wrapped in nothing but a towel and barefoot trying to save it brings a smile and a chuckle.

Karen
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #577
Head Chef

I'd like to join Zhizara in saying "we love stories" and this was a goodie - thanks for the laugh.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #578
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'd like to join Zhizara in saying "we love stories" and this was a goodie - thanks for the laugh.
Ditto! That was fun and you're a good storyteller!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #579
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
There have been cases of E. coli here in Quebec. Nine people are ill and one person died. Two people are ill in New Brunswick and two in Ontario. They are saying it is likely from raw walnuts, so we should stick them in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 F. I did. They are almost all burnt. Phooey. At least I didn't put a lot of walnuts in the oven.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #580
Everymom

I need to whine for a few minutes. We got back from an amazing holiday Tuesday night. Wednesday I ran around like a crazy lady getting groceries, doing laundry etc etc. Thursday I puttered around the house and tried to fight off a headache, today I woke up early with a raging headache. UGH! I haven't done anything weird or different, and I have a fair bit to do today as I'm taking my daughter and her best friend to a dance competition about 4 hours out of town. Blech. I want to go back on holiday.