"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #591
Sous Chef

LP -

my mother was standing at the door of the retirement community, passed out & fell down.
off to the hospital - her CO2 was like 115 and she was still coherent. so on and on, COPD was the culprit, and as the doctors were talking "release" they started in on "you should get Hospice involved."

that floored me - we went thru the Hospice drill with my grandmother and my father - everyone in the room "knew" what Hospice meant - this is likely to be a short term situation . . .

she was in Hospice care for almost five years - and four of the last I was the primary care giver.

COPD can be a non-stop burden - I heard the same from my mother on bad days - "I just want to go to sleep and not wake up." there were no issues with being a burden "on me" - but the disease is sufficient all of its own.

ref the coughing and "immediate need" spells - check on an Rx for morphine sulfate with the doctors/etc. one drop under the tongue provides immediate relief - like in seconds. no one has an explanation - but it does work.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #592
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
LP, I have no words. (((hugs)))

I'm glad the other ladies did have words.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #593
Chef Extraordinaire

It's Mother's Day, again, sigh. I have issues with Mother's Day. At least it isn't on my birthday this year.

My mother made it into a duty. We seldom managed to live up to her expectations. Now I regret resenting Mother's Day. I can't even apologize to her. This is the second Mother's Day since she died. It's about 10 years since she would have understood.

The other reason I don't like Mother's Day is that it reminds me of the stillborn son who would have made me a mother. I try not to think about that too often. It usually makes me maudlin. I play Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, usually repeatedly. It came out the same year. "It's all bad." as the expression goes.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #594
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's Mother's Day, again, sigh. I have issues with Mother's Day. At least it isn't on my birthday this year.

My mother made it into a duty. We seldom managed to live up to her expectations. Now I regret resenting Mother's Day. I can't even apologize to her. This is the second Mother's Day since she died. It's about 10 years since she would have understood.

The other reason I don't like Mother's Day is that it reminds me of the stillborn son who would have made me a mother. I try not to think about that too often. It usually makes me maudlin. I play Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, usually repeatedly. It came out the same year. "It's all bad." as the expression goes.
I'm sorry Mother's day is a burden for you. I can understand how you feel my m-i-l always left me feeling as if I was in the way, that my DH had to share his time with me. In my mind you are a wonderful kind daughter and I know your mother would tell you that now. We sometimmes take our children for granted, that's wrong I know but in the end we who act that way are the losers and our kids come out stronger for our thoughtflessness . And you are a mother and don't feel you aen't YOU ARE!!! Do what helps sooth you if it means listening to certain music than do it. You deserve ggod things and I just wish I could help you attain them. Be proud, be aware of just how special you are.
kades
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #595
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

I am sorry Mother's Day is so hard on you. I understand the feeling of a lost child, but I also know that I would not be the woman I am today if life had turned out different.

You are a fantastic woman and I value our online friendship.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #596
Head Chef

Quote:

I'm sorry about your son.

I'm with you on Mother's Day, I can't choke out a thank you to my mom for the consistent hurt she brings me, and it's purposeful on her part and it only makes me cry.

Remember.....friends are God's apology for family. You are loved.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #597
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am sorry Mother's Day is so hard on you. I understand the feeling of a lost child, but I also know that I would not be the woman I am today if life had turned out different.

You are a fantastic woman and I value our online friendship.
Ain't that the truth! I might not have gotten together with Stirling if that hadn't happened. He had been a friend for almost 10 years, but more my ex's friend. When he heard what happened, he went out of his way to get in touch with me and offer support. I'm still happily married to Stirling and still thank my lucky stars that I "caught" him. We've been sweeties for 17 years and married almost 14 of those years.

Thank you Kades and Princess. I really appreciate the kind words.

And (((hugs))) Blissful.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #598
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh noes, it's here!

I Hate Mondays! - Cheezburger.com
Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #599
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love it!

I love this one too:
MONDAYS - Cheezburger.com
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #600
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Love it!

I love this one too:
MONDAYS - Cheezburger.com
That's a good one, too...but you created the other one and I made a comment!