"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #631
Chef Extraordinaire

CIBC. My TD bank card doesn't have the two either.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #632
Chef Extraordinaire

BTW, it is a chip card and I have to enter the PIN whenever I use it. It was rejected several times at stores when I was in the States because the POS reader could not read it. PITA for me.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #633
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
BTW, it is a chip card and I have to enter the PIN whenever I use it. It was rejected several times at stores when I was in the States because the POS reader could not read it. PITA for me.
Well, if it's a debit card, of course you have to enter your PIN. My RBC debit card has a chip too.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #634
Chef Extraordinaire

I still don't get the visa part of it--my visa pin is not the same one as my bank card...on my "to do" list (ask the bank to explain that to me) next time I go to C'wall.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #635
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
My most recently issued bank card has "debit" and "visa" on it. I have no idea how to use the "visa" side of it since I have a separate visa card. I keep meaning to ask my bank about that "feature" but keep forgetting. I buy prepaid visas for Internet transactions or use my paypal account (funds in that are from work I do and have been paid by paypal).

What you have is a Debit or Check card managed by VISA for your bank. Most stores will take it as a debit card and ask you to enter your PIN. The store can also process it as a credit card and it automatically corrects and switches to a debit on your checking account.

At least that's the way it works around here.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #636
Chef Extraordinaire

that's the way mine works as well. only asked for pin in groceries store,. i keep a different password for them. i buy tons and tons of stuff on line, works as a credit card for that,
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #637
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
That is because US cards do not have a chip in them so the readers here use the magnetic strip alone. Canada and most of Europe have cards with chips but the US has yet to make the switch.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #638
Sous Chef

I know discussion is still going about my last vent, and I hate to sound like whiner, but this is really not my week. DH took the car in to get a front end alignment and an oil change. Turns out we also need 2 new tires, a new ball joint and control arm. Total is going to cost us almost $600. As a result, we have to cancel our family getaway to the ocean next weekend. I'm so bummed. I've still never seen the Atlantic ocean, and at this rate, I never will, since we'll probably be leaving the East coast next summer. Oh yeah, and we need new rotors soon, too, because with his crazy school schedule, DH didn't have time to replace our brake pads until a month after they started making noise and unfortunately, my big pregnant belly prevented me from doing it. I'm praying he can replace them himself, too.

We are also looking for a second vehicle, since are car is getting up there in mileage (hence all the repairs). We were planning on getting a motorcycle or scooter for the fuel economy, since we each drive 50 miles round trip to work. From the research I've been able to do, it's pretty much impossible for either of us to drive a scooter to work, since it's illegal to drive one over 30mph. Really? Requires same protective gear, and they make scooters that can drive up to highway speeds and this state (I'm guessing it's not alone) decided that it's unsafe to drive them over 30mph. Basically, unless you live in the city or are in the country but only need to cover a distance that you could easily cover on a bicycle or on foot (since anywhere further requires use of a highway, which scooters aren't allowed on), you're out of luck. I knew they weren't allowed on freeways, but really? Then I decided to see what the state requirements are for a motorcycle endorsement in this state. The MVA website couldn't be more confusing, of course. I would prefer that DH took the course before driving a motorcycle, even though it will cost us and extra $200. Well, I looked up courses that are offered. I can only find one that lists the actual class schedule. Everything other listing requires you to fill out the application form, including a fair amount of personal information, like your drivers' license number, before you can even view the class schedule. No, I'm not giving some community college all of my husband's personal information just to see if he can even take the freaking class! He works slightly odd hours, and because of our religious beliefs, we don't believe in working or making others work on Sundays, so I guess we're out of luck. All of this to try to get a vehicle that weighs a fraction of a car, is much more unsafe, and still usually only manages to get 10-20 mpg better than my car. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories. Frankly, they usually annoy me, but it's hard to ignore how difficult our state and national laws make it to decrease our dependency on petroleum. We're trying to be responsible; we're trying not to fall into the trap of consumer debt, but for heavens' sake!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #639
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((hugs))) Sprout
Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #640
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
I know discussion is still going about my last vent, and I hate to sound like whiner, but this is really not my week. ...
It has been one of those weeks. Here's hoping next week will be better.