"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #61
Everymom

Zhizara, I can fix that irksome browser problem for you. Download Mozilla Firefox as your browser and you will never look back. I hemmed and hawed for YEARS when GB tried to convince me, once I finally did it I gave my forehead a slap. Its far better to work with, and the add ons are fantastic! Adblocker is especially lovely. Although colorful tabs is fun too.

I meant to suggest for your little recycling issue, have you ever considered buying a bunch of little baby washcloths? Saves on lots and lots of baby wipes and the containers. (Also if your little one has sensitive skin it saves on chemicals touching their butts!) I used them exclusively unless we were travelling and I tell you, it was easy peasy. Just had a bucket in the change room for those cloths and did a special washload with them.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

hired a gal to come in, clean out the fridge and put groceries away. she never showed. no phone call either. i seem to have the worst luck with cleaning people. doesn't anyone show up and on time. a phone call would have helped.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #63
Certified Pretend Chef

I will also strongly recommend Firefox. It's better than IE. You won't be sorry for an instant.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Zhizara, I can fix that irksome browser problem for you. Download Mozilla Firefox as your browser and you will never look back. I hemmed and hawed for YEARS when GB tried to convince me, once I finally did it I gave my forehead a slap. Its far better to work with, and the add ons are fantastic! Adblocker is especially lovely. Although colorful tabs is fun too.

I meant to suggest for your little recycling issue, have you ever considered buying a bunch of little baby washcloths? Saves on lots and lots of baby wipes and the containers. (Also if your little one has sensitive skin it saves on chemicals touching their butts!) I used them exclusively unless we were travelling and I tell you, it was easy peasy. Just had a bucket in the change room for those cloths and did a special washload with them.
Hi Alix: Thank you for your reply. I may have to try Firefox again. The problem I had when I tried Firefox before was the magnification. My eyesight is not great and when I find a website that has tiny print, I like the way I can just click on the little zoom in the bottom right corner of the screen, until I get it large enough to read.

Back then, with firefox I had to go to a menu first, then find a magnification I thought would work and click on that. If it wasn't easy enough to read I had to go through it all again. But now, with IE8 it might be the better trade off. If anyone out there has IE7 DON'T UPGRADE. You'll hate it, and guess what? You can no longer download IE7. If it says it's IE7 and you try to download it you get IE8. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

About the baby wipes, I'm 64 y/o. The wipes are for me. I prefer something damp w/no alchohol for quick and easy cleanup and aloe for moisturizing.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply and I will try Firefox again, like right now. I'll let you know how I like it. It's been several years so I'm sure it's improved.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Use Ctrl + to make text larger with Firefox
Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Just bought an HP laptop from the HP online store. The HP receipt lists the names of the components, features and accessories but does not list their part numbers; for example, I ordered the 9 cell battery but have no assurance that it is a MU09, HP part: WD549AA#ABB UPC: 8 84962 73415 5. To boot the machine is being shipped from Shanghai.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #67
Master Chef

I need to demolish about 20 feet of a concrete planter along my driveway because it does not meet current code. Well, it met code 30 years ago when the house was built. We're requesting permit for a completely unrelated part of the property and unless we demolish the planter they will not proceed. WTF's wrong with these people who work for this city?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #68
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post

About the baby wipes, I'm 64 y/o. The wipes are for me. I prefer something damp w/no alchohol for quick and easy cleanup and aloe for moisturizing.
BWA HA HA HA HA! Well my goodness, you certainly sound younger than 64! Jokes on me!

Hope the Firefox works out better for you this time.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm so glad you got a laugh out of it. So did I when I read "little one"!

I installed Firefox and I'm sure I'm going to love it. I found the easy to use zoom and it's just fine! I also added weather and reminders and Tabberwocky. I like the colorful tabs and think I got them set that they will stay the same for each site. I'm still trying to get rid of the @$##@%^^### Adobe add-on banner. I've been through their runaround for years. I already had the add ons and they get regular updates. If you already have it it will just run you around in circles. The other thing I haven't yet figured out how to tell which tab is open.

Especially when I'm running around the DC forums, I'll have several tabs open, but since Firefox shows all the close Xs I'm stumped at times.

Thank you for relieving me of that constant crashing aggravation in IE8. It was happening constantly and my blood pressure doesn't need it.

Sally
Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #70
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I need to demolish about 20 feet of a concrete planter along my driveway because it does not meet current code. Well, it met code 30 years ago when the house was built. We're requesting permit for a completely unrelated part of the property and unless we demolish the planter they will not proceed. WTF's wrong with these people who work for this city?
They get to charge you more for demolition and building permits. Sounds familiar!