"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #701
Chef Extraordinaire

Since 2007, I've been going through finacial hell. I was accustomed to making a 6 figure plus income. The economy tanked and my business partner took me to court to get out of our partnership. I fought back (and won) but it cost me over 20K in legal fees. Then my mom got sick and I had to take care of her--I spent all my IRA savings for me to go home and take care of my mom. For those of you struggling, I know it is hard--been there, done that, still there, but nose to the grindstone. It can be done. I am paying off my legal bills on June 30th. And then, I can start paying back my family for helping me. It is tough--and it is depressing--it wakes you up at night. But, keep plugging at it. Supposedly, it does get better, and you have learned to be more frugal than you ever were (oh, goody).

Old 05-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #702
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I'm so mad at myself. I was at the end of a lengthy recipe for au gratin potatoes, when I went to insert the degree sign without making sure the keypad was on numbers.

It gives me the degree sign, then takes me to my homepage. By the time I get back to my original post, it's blank. All Gone!

Thanks. I just needed to vent. I'll go back now and rewrite my recipe in Works and cut & paste to the forum.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #703
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Since 2007, I've been going through finacial hell. I was accustomed to making a 6 figure plus income. The economy tanked and my business partner took me to court to get out of our partnership. I fought back (and won) but it cost me over 20K in legal fees. Then my mom got sick and I had to take care of her--I spent all my IRA savings for me to go home and take care of my mom. For those of you struggling, I know it is hard--been there, done that, still there, but nose to the grindstone. It can be done. I am paying off my legal bills on June 30th. And then, I can start paying back my family for helping me. It is tough--and it is depressing--it wakes you up at night. But, keep plugging at it. Supposedly, it does get better, and you have learned to be more frugal than you ever were (oh, goody).

Been there although not at the 6 fiqure mark or even close. Once you get solvent again you may find that it's hard to ever go back to the way you lived before. In those times that I am feeling flush I still can't make myself spend money in ways that I won't do when I am feeling stretched thin. Frugality becomes a way of life.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #704
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I'm so mad at myself. I was at the end of a lengthy recipe for au gratin potatoes, when I went to insert the degree sign without making sure the keypad was on numbers.

It gives me the degree sign, then takes me to my homepage. By the time I get back to my original post, it's blank. All Gone!

Thanks. I just needed to vent. I'll go back now and rewrite my recipe in Works and cut & paste to the forum.
Oh, I hate it when that happens...
Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #705
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh, I hate it when that happens...

I know better. It's always better to do it in a document first, and then I can save that for a backup copy. I also know better about the degree sign, it's not the first time I've made that mistake, just one of the longer posts I was writing.

I rewrote it, I'm almost over it, and next time I'll be more careful.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #706
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I know better. It's always better to do it in a document first, and then I can save that for a backup copy. I also know better about the degree sign, it's not the first time I've made that mistake, just one of the longer posts I was writing.

I rewrote it, I'm almost over it, and next time I'll be more careful.
That's when I jump up and dance around the room, scaring the cats...let's the stress go right out of me...and I'm glad I live in the basement.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #707
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My Cradlepoint router quit! I am so used to accessing DC and everything else from my IPad, was totally freaking out yesterday! AAARRGGHH! I have emailed Cradlepoint support, and they are usually helpful, but are prob on vaca like the rest of us. Driving me nuts! Luckily Verizon guided me through some basics, so am able to connect thru my PC. No Ipad! Sucks!!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #708
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My Cradlepoint router quit! I am so used to accessing DC and everything else from my IPad, was totally freaking out yesterday! AAARRGGHH! I have emailed Cradlepoint support, and they are usually helpful, but are prob on vaca like the rest of us. Driving me nuts! Luckily Verizon guided me through some basics, so am able to connect thru my PC. No Ipad! Sucks!!
Of course it quit... during a weekend, or a holiday, and most especially a holiday weekend!!! What better time for things to go wrong! Been there, experienced that a number of times through the years. I feel for you!

I had a starter in my car go out - while I was 70 miles away from home... at night... in the rain... no money... dead cell phone battery. It was a nightmare UNTIL God blessed me that evening with a kind young man with a AAA account who towed and dropped off my car at my own mechanic's shop, and even took me to my front door... all at no cost or hassle. Things can go terribly wrong, and yet turn out right at the same time.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #709
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Of course it quit... during a weekend, or a holiday, and most especially a holiday weekend!!! What better time for things to go wrong! Been there, experienced that a number of times through the years. I feel for you!

I had a starter in my car go out - while I was 70 miles away from home... at night... in the rain... no money... dead cell phone battery. It was a nightmare UNTIL God blessed me that evening with a kind young man with a AAA account who towed and dropped off my car at my own mechanic's shop, and even took me to my front door... all at no cost or hassle. Things can go terribly wrong, and yet turn out right at the same time.
You are right, Selkie. Need to keep things in perspective. Thinking about those poor folks ravaged by the tornadoes.

However, still ripping out handfuls of hair and screaming to the Computer Gods...
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #710
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
women can give a look that men just can't seem to master. i remember my mom giving that look that made you know you were in trouble.

i apparently have a booming voice that has the same effect. i don't mean to laugh about it, but when my son or the scouts get out of hand, i use a bone rattling voice (sort of like the old guy in the movie "the dresser") that makes the little guys physically jump as if scared to death. then they behave.

for a few minutes. lol.
I had to laugh at this. Been in the military? It is called "command voice" and I learned it. I thought I'd lost the knack, but then last year I was walking to town to meet my husband, and saw him two blocks away and a little down hill from me. I just called his name, didn't think I was yelling, and he looked behind himself and was surprised to see I was a couple of blocks away. He later told me that he thought I had snuck up behind him, it sounded like I was right there. but when you do use it, it really does catch your attention!