"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #791
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Actually, her neighbor called the sheriff. She lives in a very small town, and the police, sheriff, and EMTs are pretty much the same folks!

She was pissed as the cop had to break through her screen door. And then he shone a light in her face while she was in bed. I got to hear all about it once her phone service was restored!
Oh no!!! LOL Your poor Mom! Trying to keep tabs on our parents can give us grey hair!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #792
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Oh no!!! LOL Your poor Mom! Trying to keep tabs on our parents can give us grey hair!
Actually, my poor neighbor, he just turned 92. I have him on speed dial. Am about 80% gray.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #793
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Actually, my poor neighbor, he just turned 92. I have him on speed dial. Am about 80% gray.
I have a scattergun approach for my folks...e-mail, phone, cell phone... there are 4 computers, 4 cell phone and a landline...someone always answers. Because they know I will call the sheriff.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #794
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I have a scattergun approach for my folks...e-mail, phone, cell phone... there are 4 computers, 4 cell phone and a landline...someone always answers. Because they know I will call the sheriff.
I keep trying to teach my mom how to use a cell phone, she refuses. She thinks the lifeline neck thing is stupid and refuses to even think about it. Totally computer illiterate. ARGHH!

Thanks
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #795
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I keep trying to teach my mom how to use a cell phone, she refuses. She thinks the lifeline neck thing is stupid and refuses to even think about it. Totally computer illiterate. ARGHH!

Thanks
I'll try to think of a strategy for that one. Sometimes it takes a fall and fracture to convince a parent.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #796
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Thanks

tell your mom to give me a call. i have life alert. push the button hanging round my neck and a person calls me. asks what is wrong? so far i have only been testing. if i didn't answer (don't actually don't have to be on the phone" it is set to alert at the sound of what would be a fall. they can hear me from any room in my house. if no answer at all they immediately call 911, then they call my kids.

as you all may recall, i had three bad falls last year. couldn't get to the phone for a very long time. (two occasions had to pull myself along on the floor ) to get to the phone. if she had to work for four hours on hands and knees, she would see the value. i have a cell phone i take when i leave home. hopefully if something happened while out and about i could call. i am 73 years old. they just need to face the fact that they need help. even from a device they consider silly.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #797
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo

tell your mom to give me a call. i have life alert. push the button hanging round my neck and a person calls me. asks what is wrong? so far i have only been testing. if i didn't answer (don't actually don't have to be on the phone" it is set to alert at the sound of what would be a fall. they can hear me from any room in my house. if no answer at all they immediately call 911, then they call my kids.

as you all may recall, i had three bad falls last year. couldn't get to the phone for a very long time. (two occasions had to pull myself along on the floor ) to get to the phone. if she had to work for four hours on hands and knees, she would see the value. i have a cell phone i take when i leave home. hopefully if something happened while out and about i could call. i am 73 years old. they just need to face the fact that they need help. even from a device they consider silly.
Babe, I will show her your message, as I will see her next week. Along with my brother and sister, we may be able to convince her. She's 75 and extremely stubborn!

Amazing, did not post to vent, but I so appreciate all the support from Fiona and Babe!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #798
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Babe, I will show her your message, as I will see her next week. Along with my brother and sister, we may be able to convince her. She's 75 and extremely stubborn!

Amazing, did not post to vent, but I so appreciate all the support from Fiona and Babe!
I take care of people your Mom's age, some of them have fallen and been unable to reach help for a couple of days. For every day they spend on the floor, it takes a week of recovery time. For every day in the hospital, it takes a week of recovery time. This is a fact.

Actually I shouldn't complain, those folks keep me in a job.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #799
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

I take care of people your Mom's age, some of them have fallen and been unable to reach help for a couple of days. For every day they spend on the floor, it takes a week of recovery time. For every day in the hospital, it takes a week of recovery time. This is a fact.

Actually I shouldn't complain, those folks keep me in a job.
LOL! I really appreciate your advice and wisdom! Thanks so much, Princess!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #800
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I know it is frustrating. I went through the same thing with my Mom this past fall/winter. It was hard being 500+ miles away and my Sister lives in the same town and see's my Mom at least once a week. Mom just didn't want to tell anyone was was going on. It was by luck that we found out abut things.

We had to start looking at it like taking care of a child. Yelling doesn't help, as much as it makes us feel better, and talking reason is a 50/50 proposition.

We started "double teaming" her after her surgery.. are you doing this? Did you take that. Asking lots of questions and making sure she we WE were talking to each other and she wasn't going to get away with anything this time.