"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #811
Executive Chef

First of all, I bought a Jitterbug for my parents, and it is easy to use. Second, my dad was that man who complained about having to do some household chores when my mom was unable. He even gave away some of her pots and pans saying that she would never use them again. Mom was of sound mind, and for that I am thankful, but my dad drove her crazy sometimes! Anyway, Mom passed away in December of last year and Dad realizes (too late) that he didn't appreciate what he had until she was gone. It is really sad. He is a lonely, angry old man. I hope he gets better.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #812
Chef Extraordinaire

he will, chopper. while the world may seem cold; faith is a way to reconcile those things. whether anyone believes anything or not, it's a natural thing to want and it certainly helps.

my mil had dementia. it made the last 20 years really tough, mostly for dw. it has affected our entire lives even 7 years past.

but they were better than not having her here with us.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #813
Master Chef

Chopper, my heart goes out to you. In fact, he may never realize what a gem he had. Looking at my in-laws, I don't think my FIL ever appreciated how much my MIL did for him, and I think he was actually peeved at her for getting sick. On the other hand, when Mom got sick, Dad learned to be grateful for all he'd been given over the years. So you never know.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #814
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Right now I feel like a failure as a mom. And I am married, but they my kids so he feels it not his place to do anything. 2 of my kids have been getting up middle of night or b4 I do at least getting into food. It'd been every other day. Im getting into a depression state cause I've displined them in every way (extra chores, no TV, no playing outside) they still do it. I don't know what else to do.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #815
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
Right now I feel like a failure as a mom. And I am married, but they my kids so he feels it not his place to do anything. 2 of my kids have been getting up middle of night or b4 I do at least getting into food. It'd been every other day. Im getting into a depression state cause I've displined them in every way (extra chores, no TV, no playing outside) they still do it. I don't know what else to do.
if thry were mine Id'tell them that from now on it's eat before bed a small snack and that's it. If they do this again I'd not buy any godies they like and continued sneaking for will result in their having to pay for it I know kids have botttomless pits but there is no reason to do this. Are they afraind of not getting their share? I'd really impress on them that they are really stealing and we dont do this in our home we sharee.If they are like mine it will stop in time you just have to be on them all the time. I wish you the best/
kadesma
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #816
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
if thry were mine Id'tell them that from now on it's eat before bed a small snack and that's it. If they do this again I'd not buy any godies they like and continued sneaking for will result in their having to pay for it I know kids have botttomless pits but there is no reason to do this. Are they afraind of not getting their share? I'd really impress on them that they are really stealing and we dont do this in our home we sharee.If they are like mine it will stop in time you just have to be on them all the time. I wish you the best/
kadesma
How old are your kids?

It kind of sounds like a control issue. Maybe if you had one shelf/bin in the pantry and/or refrigerator that had "free" foods that the kids are welcomed to eat from whenever they want, the sneaking food will stop. My daughter did this (not for the same reason) and kept healthy snacks, including raw vegetables and fruit, and now and then she would put a special treat (candy, etc.) in there.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #817
Senior Cook

Well my kids are 3 & 4. I do healthly snacks for my oldest is ADHD. I do 3 meals a day and 2 snacks.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #818
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well my kids are 3 & 4. I do healthly snacks for my oldest is ADHD. I do 3 meals a day and 2 snacks.
The children need to understand, food is NOT free andneeds to be accounted for.
kadesma
Old 06-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #819
Senior Cook

Ya I talked to them about it asked them if they knew what stealing meant & what happens to ppl that steal. They could answer the questions plus told me that they should be asking for it. Even told them they will have 3 meals a day& at least 2 snacks a day (before bed) but they will be punished every time. And til they understand & stop they wont get any homemade bake goods or any other goodies to eat til they stop!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #820
Everymom

Maybe I don't clearly understand the situation, but why is it a bad thing that your kids are getting food for themselves? Are they eating crap? Are they leaving a mess? Is it causing financial distress?

Food is NOT something to create issues of power and control around. Kids have so many things they don't control that often food becomes the one thing they CAN control. This can lead to lots of unhealthy things.

Barbara has made an excellent suggestion in having a shelf or two of "free" food. Kids need to have limits, yes, but if they are hungry they need to eat. 3 meals and 2 snack would not have been CLOSE to enough for my kids. Madeleine would take recess snacks to school and come home for lunch and after school crying because she was so hungry. She just needed to "graze" all day to manage.

I know we don't necessarily have the same ideas about things, so please don't be offended by my questions, I'm merely trying to understand. How is a young child getting food out of their home's pantry "stealing"? If they are hungry, and you aren't up to feed them, then isn't it something praiseworthy that they are independent enough to feed themselves?