"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #891
Master Chef

I have been dieting seriously for the last three months and today I went to the Doctor for a quarterly checkup. The scale in her office indicates that I only lost seven pounds. I was sure that it would show at least a twenty pound drop. I take up much less space now than I did three months ago, my clothes fit better and my A1C showed a drop of two full points but, that @#*X@ scale is making me crazy. It is strange how a number can rule your entire life!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #892
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have been dieting seriously for the last three months and today I went to the Doctor for a quarterly checkup. The scale in her office indicates that I only lost seven pounds. I was sure that it would show at least a twenty pound drop. I take up much less space now than I did three months ago, my clothes fit better and my A1C showed a drop of two full points but, that @#*X@ scale is making me crazy. It is strange how a number can rule your entire life!
Are you exercising along with your diet Aunt Bea? Because I find my poundage is going slow but my dress sizes are falling like crazy and it is because I am also working out and building muscle (which is not light). Also, fluid makes for a thinner body but doesn't always show as much on the scales.

Don't let the numbers get you too down (though I totally relate to you in every way here), as long as you are looking and physically feeling better. And hey, 7 pounds is still good - the longer it takes to take it off sometimes the easier it is to keep it off!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #893
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I ignore the scale at the Doctor's office. Unless you are dressed exactly the same, it's the same time of day and 700 people haven't already been on that scale before you...it's not accurate.

Your scale at home...much more reliable, just make sure you are weighing at the same time of day. I pick right after waking up and using the bathroom. If I sleep in...I don't weigh myself that day.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #894
Executive Chef

Quote:
Well, if you're going crazy, you're not alone! I check my weight most mornings while wearing the same things, and my scale creeps down a pound or two over the course of a week, then zooms back up in a single day! Ugh!! And I don't need a blasted scale to tell me I've gained weight. I can see it in my face in the mirror. Does anyone know where I can get one of those fun-house mirrors that make you skinny?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #895
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Seven pounds is still wonderful! Congrats, Aunt Bea!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #896
Master Chef

Thank you all for your words of support.

The adult that lives in my head agrees with you.

The child that lives in my head is still rolling around on the floor kicking and screaming!

If the brat does not stop soon I may have to get a bucket of cold water!

I will be glad when that kid can move out and get a head if its own.

Thanks again B
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #897
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I saw this somewhere: get seven pounds of butter, hamburger, or potatoes. Put on countertop. Look at it. Congratulate self.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #898
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I saw this somewhere: get seven pounds of butter, hamburger, or potatoes. Put on countertop. Look at it. Congratulate self.

If I looked at it long enough I would probably decide to make Mama's cottage pie
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #899
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

If I looked at it long enough I would probably decide to make Mama's cottage pie
LOL! Sounds good!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #900
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I got in trouble in the Nutrition class with that attitude. The instructor put 10 pounds of potatoes on the table so everyone could see how much weight it was...she then asked what we thought of that and I said it looked like a good start to a meal...I got applause, laughter and a dunce cap...