Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lady across town is getting hassled by the powers that be because she has chickens in her back yard, and it turns out that there is an ordinance against it. She doesn't have a rooster, just laying hens, for the eggs. This isn't in the city - it's a residential neighborhood. The County has backed off and has taken the situation under consideration, so she still has her hens, but geez! :chicken:

I get so frustrated with our system sometimes. I bought an old truck off of a friend last week. Had some work done on it, got the safety check, and now it is in pretty good shape. Today I went into town to get the ownership changed over and the plates changed. Well, due to the fact that it is over 20 years old, I have to go and pay$35 for a separate appraisal so they can tax me on the value. Then, the old plates I had on a vehicle can't be transferred because they are not truck plates, so I need to cancel them, then wait for a refund in the mail for the remaining cost I paid for the sticker. Then I need to buy new stickers for the old truck. She offered me a temporary permit for 15 dollars. I said no thanks. The truck is still under my friends name and insurance so thankfully I can drive it anothe 35 miles to get an apprasal at a certified apraiser. You know, the one that is going to cost me 35 dollars so they can calculate how much tax I have to pay on a 20 year old vehicle.

Man! I hate the bs sometimes! OK, I hate the BS all of the time.

It is the same on this side. The only kind thing I can say is that it creates jobs.

It is the same on this side. The only kind thing I can say is that it creates jobs.

Well, in a way, I have to agree with you. But will do so reluctantly. ;)
I just got back from my trip to get it apraised and the guy looked at me and said "really"?. They want an apraisal on a 20 year old truck? He appraised it for exactly what the reciept said. What makes me mad is that it is at my expense. Basically, they think your guilty until you prove your innocence. And, you have to hand over payola to get them to do the job. Organized crime, if you ask me.:mad:

Last edited:
Well, in a way, I have to agree with you. But will do so reluctantly. ;)
I just got back from my trip to get it apraised and the guy looked at me and said "really"?. They want an apraisal on a 20 year old truck? He appraised it for exactly what the reciept said. What makes me mad is that it is at my expense. Basically, they think your guilty until you prove your innocence. And, you have to hand over payola to get them to do the job. Organized crime, if you ask me.:mad:

Grease is the word:ROFLMAO:

I am totally ticked. My desktop won't let me send e-mail because I keep getting a message that says I have to put in my user name and password. But it won't accept it. So in trying to fix it now I can't send e-mail. Thankfully I can still do it using the laptop but I can't scan anything into it.

Rock--my parents have offered me my mom's car (she can't drive anymore, it is in good condition, has less than 100,000 miles on it). The problem is the car is in MN and I'm getting the run-around from customs and DMV on what I have to do to be able to drive it back in to Canada when I return. My mom's insurance would still be on it, but it is the plate transfer issue....my parents want to give it to me, in the States, it would be a "gift" for $1. But because they are in the States, that rule seems to not apply here in Canada. If I have time tomorrow, I'll make yet another call to find out how to do this. I'd like the car (and I'd like that it was not available should my mom find the keys and decide she can drive...she can't. She got lost the last time she drove. Fortunately she didn't hurt anyone and she did find her way back home after 5 hours of wandering). Why is the gift of a car different from a set of dishes? You tell me.

Last edited:
Mosquitos!!! AAAAAAA!!! I can't go out to my garden, to the BBQ or ANYWHERE without being eaten alive. One more week they keep telling me..."normal level" for the first time in 5 years...blah blah blah. I've not been so snacked upon since Cuba. GRRR!

A lady across town is getting hassled by the powers that be because she has chickens in her back yard, and it turns out that there is an ordinance against it. She doesn't have a rooster, just laying hens, for the eggs. This isn't in the city - it's a residential neighborhood. The County has backed off and has taken the situation under consideration, so she still has her hens, but geez! :chicken:
TL, we have several places here in Surrey where you will find a piece of land on a main road that has cows, horses, whatever on it. No one complains, in fact it is quite a conversation starter. "Did you know there are cows grazing just down the street?". Of course!

There was a guy who didn't want to sell his land but it was in the heart of one of our fastest growing communities (actually where DH grew up). It was wanted for prime commercial property but was not used for anything. He was really stubborn and holding out as long as he could. If the land was unused, they could force him to sell, so he bought a bunch of horses and let them graze. Nothing anyone could do. Finally he was offered $10 million and sold. The horses were sold for $500 each.

Mosquitos!!! AAAAAAA!!! I can't go out to my garden, to the BBQ or ANYWHERE without being eaten alive. One more week they keep telling me..."normal level" for the first time in 5 years...blah blah blah. I've not been so snacked upon since Cuba. GRRR!

They won't even touch me...I haven't had a mosquito bite since I was a teen.

they never bite me either, neither do fleas.

would you believe the sink was draining fine while guy was here. we both agree that maybe the liquid plumber finally worked. i had let the hot water run last night into sink. it took a very long time before it backed up. he said we should get enzymes from home depot, same as used for septic tanks and do it for couple or three months. he also said the older pipes sometimes get a build up just from rinsing dishes. only good thing was no charge. i was glad but did feel a bit stupid. it sure was plugged up and even backed into the dishwasher. oh well, we shall see.

would you believe the sink was draining fine while guy was here. we both agree that maybe the liquid plumber finally worked. i had let the hot water run last night into sink. it took a very long time before it backed up. he said we should get enzymes from home depot, same as used for septic tanks and do it for couple or three months. he also said the older pipes sometimes get a build up just from rinsing dishes. only good thing was no charge. i was glad but did feel a bit stupid. it sure was plugged up and even backed into the dishwasher. oh well, we shall see.

Don't feel stupid...that kind of thing happens all the time. My computer at work does it daily, the dumb thing is trying to make me look bad.

Do you take anything that keeps them from biting, or do they just not like you? :ohmy: When I took B-Complex vitamins they never bit me.

I take Super B-Complex and I eat lots of garlic. But the B-Complex has only been about three years. They think my sister is a banquet.:LOL:

I get so frustrated with our system sometimes. I bought an old truck off of a friend last week. Had some work done on it, got the safety check, and now it is in pretty good shape. Today I went into town to get the ownership changed over and the plates changed. Well, due to the fact that it is over 20 years old, I have to go and pay$35 for a separate appraisal so they can tax me on the value. Then, the old plates I had on a vehicle can't be transferred because they are not truck plates, so I need to cancel them, then wait for a refund in the mail for the remaining cost I paid for the sticker. Then I need to buy new stickers for the old truck. She offered me a temporary permit for 15 dollars. I said no thanks. The truck is still under my friends name and insurance so thankfully I can drive it anothe 35 miles to get an apprasal at a certified apraiser. You know, the one that is going to cost me 35 dollars so they can calculate how much tax I have to pay on a 20 year old vehicle.

Man! I hate the bs sometimes! OK, I hate the BS all of the time.
Perhaps the day will come when everything we own will require licensing (registration) and insurance. Such red tape might be foisted upon us under the guise of being for the greater good and as a counter terrorism measure. Bicycles and personal computers (and even chickens) could be likely candidates for more regulation and taxation.

Last edited:

Hooray! Free-running drain and no plumber's charge! I wonder if his no-charge was his Random Act of Kindness; if so, hooray for him, too.

There be reason to celebrate. Have you heard that it's National Chocolate with Almonds day here in the States?

Eat lots of thyme and rosemary for a natural insect repellent.:LOL: Honest!

I'll believe you. I won't eat rosemary though. I hate it.

Mosquitos love me...always have. I hate mosquitos.

Me too. Do you know your blood type? I read that they prefer type O.

Same here. I used to get bitten all the time and then suddenly nothing. We can be out in the yard and I'm "Huh? What mosquitoes???" :wacko:

Lucky bugger! They've ALWAYS loved me.

I take Super B-Complex and I eat lots of garlic. But the B-Complex has only been about three years. They think my sister is a banquet.:LOL:

Well if garlic repels them they would NEVER bite me! :LOL: Seriously though, I think anyone would get chomped here this week. We've had so much wet weather the water table has risen and hatched eggs that have been dormant for up to 5 years. These little buggers are HUNGRY. You literally cannot go outside without repellent and even with it, you will still get swarmed. You just might not get bitten if you are wearing your repellent. Walking the dog is a nightmare.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom