Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dang, PF. You have a great attitude. Hope the meds work for you!

I've been borderline for years too. I'm not overweight, exercise and eat healthy. Still like the tobacco, though. I have the feeling everyone is " borderline" something.

Cool! I love cigars!

It's ain't the being dead that bothers me, it's the dying!

When I go, I would prefer to use the express checkout!

But, like Doris Day says, Que Sera, Sera, Whatever will be, will be, The future's not ours, to see :angel:

I have a DNR "Do Not Resuscitate" notice posted on the inside of my front door. My kids are pretty much horrified by it - they don't want to think about the subject at all. When I first put it up I thought it might be an uncomfortable daily reminder; however, strangely enough it gives me a sort of comfort that I at least have that settled. Chances are it will never get used - with my luck I'll be at Lowe's buying mulch instead of at home. I just hope I'm not behind the wheel - don't want to take anyone with me.

I have a DNR "Do Not Resuscitate" notice posted on the inside of my front door. My kids are pretty much horrified by it - they don't want to think about the subject at all. When I first put it up I thought it might be an uncomfortable daily reminder; however, strangely enough it gives me a sort of comfort that I at least have that settled. Chances are it will never get used - with my luck I'll be at Lowe's buying mulch instead of at home. I just hope I'm not behind the wheel - don't want to take anyone with me.

I've never understood the "DNR" thing. Does that mean that you don't take any meds either? They are another way of extending life beyond it's norm.

If you choke on food, you don't want anyone to clear your breathing? Just let you choke to death? If a snake bites you, you won't go to the hospital?

I'm actually being very serious. I don't understand the DNR thing at all.

I would have to be way more specific. Like; "Don't bother keeping me alive if I'm going to be a stalk of celery laying in a bed until I die of old age, BUT, if I can be brought back to life after a heart attack, (I have), given 5 bypasses, (I have), and can lead a pretty normal life for decades longer, (I have), then why in the holy hell would I want someone to just let me die at step one?

tinlizzie, maybe you can enlighten me. If I'd had a "DNR" on my front door 14 years ago, I wouldn't have enjoyed this last wonderful 14 years, and I sure have.

i'm with timothy. i don't understand the dnr thing, either. okay, so you don't want your life prolonged if you are brain dead. fine. but doesn't resuscitation need to take place before you find yourself/or not in that situation? if you say you don't want to be kept alive by artificial means, i think you also need to be specific as to which ones--breathing tube, feeding tube, heart pump, etc....? i say, "resuscitate using any heroic means necessary, THEN we'll see...."

My DNR is just that specific, listing the instances in which I do NOT want to be brought back. Also, Shrek and my Brother both know all my wishes and I am confident they will follow those wishes. It's important that you appoint a "Durable Power Of Attorney For Health Care" if you have a DNR.

If I call 911 or make it to the ER on my own, then obviously I want treatment. If Shrek or my Brother call 911 or get me to the ER, it means they understand that I want treatment in that instance. Both hospitals and Doctors have copies of our Advance Directives (including our DPOAHC information) and I/we only carry copies of them when we leave town.

DNR's are only useful if people know about what YOU want. Emergency personnel, if they don't know what you want, will always opt to save your life and let them figure out the rest in the hospital.

Last edited:
A dear friend's husband underwent a bone marrow transplant. He had a DNR. Sadly, the intern did not check the chart when my friend coded. They brought him back, moved him to ICU, hooked him up to 24 bags of fluids (he was in DIC). I've had a dog die in my arms from DIC--it was a horrible way to die and horrible for family members to witness. I have a DNR. I don't want to undergo what my friend underwent.

Last edited:
I've never understood the "DNR" thing. Does that mean that you don't take any meds either? They are another way of extending life beyond it's norm.

If you choke on food, you don't want anyone to clear your breathing? Just let you choke to death? If a snake bites you, you won't go to the hospital?

I'm actually being very serious. I don't understand the DNR thing at all.

I would have to be way more specific. Like; "Don't bother keeping me alive if I'm going to be a stalk of celery laying in a bed until I die of old age, BUT, if I can be brought back to life after a heart attack, (I have), given 5 bypasses, (I have), and can lead a pretty normal life for decades longer, (I have), then why in the holy hell would I want someone to just let me die at step one?

tinlizzie, maybe you can enlighten me. If I'd had a "DNR" on my front door 14 years ago, I wouldn't have enjoyed this last wonderful 14 years, and I sure have.

I'll try, Timothy. But this as with many other decisions is based on personal preference, based on personal experience. Several years ago I was away from home when my husband had his heart attack; his visiting brother was with him. I arrived home to find Emergency responders loading him into the ambulance. I rode to the hospital up front. The driver asked me if he/I had a DNR (at the time I never heard of it -- thought DNR meant Dept. of Natural Resources and was baffled) but I was only able to reply, no. They had restarted his heart 3 times before I got there. He had several medical conditions at the time, but with a strong constitution was able to "live" for 3 days - at least his body did. Long story short -- I do not want my family to go through that again. I think I'm old enough - creeping up on 71 - to hang it up if I want to. Something's going to get me, and darned if I wouldn't prefer a heart attack over some lingering something or other. I know, easy to say; but there you are. I'm sure not arguing with your reasoning and am happy for your good outcome....but to each his own.

I manage an office where we provide water to the community. When you don't pay your water bill then you get disconnected. It amazes me how many people get angry at us because "they" didn't pay "their" bill. If people would even pick up a phone and ask me to hold there account for a few days, I even do that (None of the other associations play that). They should do a reality show on how ignorant people act when there services are discontinued for nonpayment.

The thing that gets me is people tell me that I like doing it. That's more money for me. WRONG!! It's more headache for me and I get no extra pay for it. That reconnect fee goes to the man locking the meters.

Sometimes you just want to be as ugly to people are they are to you but you can't, lol. Well there's a way to do it....lol. I just wish people wouldn't blame us for their mistakes.

Just venting a little....... : )

Thanks, everyone. I've already been doing the diet, so it's not like I'll be making very many changes, just adding another pill. More water, too.

Babetoo, I already spend all day in the nursing home, I'm just sorry it was lousy for you. I love my patients and love taking care of them. Of course, I would have been the nurse you hated...I like to see my patients get better and go home, so I am a bit of a bully.:LOL:

if you had paid attention to me at all, it would be 100 % better than where i was. it was really hard to get anyone to answer the bell. when you are told to not get up by yourself, it is important that they respond quickly , especially when the bathroom is involved. i had one that paid attention, she was lovely to me. alas she was not a nurse. i 'm sure there are nice places, i didn't just land in one.

I'll try, Timothy. But this as with many other decisions is based on personal preference, based on personal experience. Several years ago I was away from home when my husband had his heart attack; his visiting brother was with him. I arrived home to find Emergency responders loading him into the ambulance. I rode to the hospital up front. The driver asked me if he/I had a DNR (at the time I never heard of it -- thought DNR meant Dept. of Natural Resources and was baffled) but I was only able to reply, no. They had restarted his heart 3 times before I got there. He had several medical conditions at the time, but with a strong constitution was able to "live" for 3 days - at least his body did. Long story short -- I do not want my family to go through that again. I think I'm old enough - creeping up on 71 - to hang it up if I want to. Something's going to get me, and darned if I wouldn't prefer a heart attack over some lingering something or other. I know, easy to say; but there you are. I'm sure not arguing with your reasoning and am happy for your good outcome....but to each his own.

I understand your reasoning on the issue, tinlizzie, but in terms of my own life, I have a completely different way of looking at the situation.

I've had 8 times in my life where medical intervention caused me to remain alive. Each time, if I had a DNR, that would have been the end of my life. Since the first one, I have loved, been loved, traveled, seen wondrous things, met fascinating people, done incredibily interesting things, experienced joy, and invented a few things. None of which would have happened if the Docs had backed away from me the first time I was at a turn of Life/Death.

Not to mention that I was 7 years old the first time and would have had a very short life.

No DNR for me. They can jump start me as many times as they wish. If I turn into a carrot, I won't know it anyway. The others in my family will have to deal with Mr. Carrot by ignoring me and letting the machines run if that's what some Doc thinks is best. If I'm truly a carrot, I won't care anyway. If, on day 136, I suddenly come out of it like I did a coma when I was in my 20's, then perhaps I'll have another decade or two or three to enjoy life again.

I've spoken to my family and after watching my life thus far, they understand my reasoning and also understand that if I do happen to become a piece of cabbage, they have my permission to just stay home and enjoy their lives, instead of coming to look at cabbage-man lay there.

Heck, I might be having a great time in a fantastic dream. Who can say?

Lets you and I agree to disagree on this and just enjoy our lives for now. How's that sound to you?

I figure there must be something I'm supposed to accomplish that hasn't been done yet. I keep bouncing back, regardless of the circumstances of my body.

Perhaps, at 71, (12 years from now), I'll think differently, but I doubt it.

Good luck to you. I hope you make it as a happy person and experience wonderful things until you're 120 or more.

The two points of view are exactly the reason that I have not completed a DNR order yet!

If they find me passed out on the floor I want them to wake me up, assess my situation and then kill me if the outlook is not good. My Doctor has very seriously and sternly assured me that it does not work that way.

Very difficult and personal decision!

If they find me passed out on the floor I want them to wake me up, assess my situation and then kill me if the outlook is not good.

Aunt Bea, you crack me up! Yep, it's a huge decision. Literally a life and death decision. The only person that must be happy with the choice is person making that choice.

The DNR is a choice I choose not to make. I might miss something good.:ROFLMAO:

I can't believe the massacre of all those beautiful exotic animals in Zanesville, OH. Bengal tigers are so rare. I knew it had to be done, but what a nut case owner, to let them go like that. Sad.

Last edited:
#1 - Stupid hot spot on my dog will NOT die! I feel so bad for my poor little beastie!

#2 - Someone threw away a bunch of kittens in a dumpster today! Sweet tiny kittens! Sheesh. I almost brought one home. God was looking after me though, and made it work out differently. Ken would have kicked my bum around the block a few times if I'd done that. Rightly so...but they were so sweet and precious and helpless!

#3 - I can't access the iTunes on the downstairs computer on my laptop! BUMMER! I used to be able to, and now I can't! BAH!

Alix said:
#1 - Stupid hot spot on my dog will NOT die! I feel so bad for my poor little beastie!

#2 - Someone threw away a bunch of kittens in a dumpster today! Sweet tiny kittens! Sheesh. I almost brought one home. God was looking after me though, and made it work out differently. Ken would have kicked my bum around the block a few times if I'd done that. Rightly so...but they were so sweet and precious and helpless!

#3 - I can't access the iTunes on the downstairs computer on my laptop! BUMMER! I used to be able to, and now I can't! BAH!

What happened to the kittens, Alix? Were they rescued?

Poor puppy! Aloe? Triple antibiotic cream?

Can you delete iTunes, then reinstall?

Kittens were found by a friend who is a garbage collector, they all have homes but were taken away from mommy way too early. :angry:

Murray is getting treated with a cocktail that pacanis shared with me. Its just taking an awfully long time for the poor guy to recover. That MIGHT have something to do with going outside and rubbing said hotspot on the dirt etc. :rolleyes: I can't put the cone of shame on him because it rubs on the hot spot. So, we're just being vigilant about the nagging.

I think the iTunes issue is user error. I'm just tired and cranky and not in the mood to figure out what my problem is. I'll go play with it later.

Good job, Alix! Very frustrating day. Hopefully the kittens were weaned. Hope you can get some good sleep! I am tired and cranky my own self.

Last edited:
I understand your reasoning on the issue, tinlizzie, but in terms of my own life, I have a completely different way of looking at the situation.

I've had 8 times in my life where medical intervention caused me to remain alive. Each time, if I had a DNR, that would have been the end of my life. Since the first one, I have loved, been loved, traveled, seen wondrous things, met fascinating people, done incredibily interesting things, experienced joy, and invented a few things. None of which would have happened if the Docs had backed away from me the first time I was at a turn of Life/Death.

Not to mention that I was 7 years old the first time and would have had a very short life.

No DNR for me. They can jump start me as many times as they wish. If I turn into a carrot, I won't know it anyway. The others in my family will have to deal with Mr. Carrot by ignoring me and letting the machines run if that's what some Doc thinks is best. If I'm truly a carrot, I won't care anyway. If, on day 136, I suddenly come out of it like I did a coma when I was in my 20's, then perhaps I'll have another decade or two or three to enjoy life again.

I've spoken to my family and after watching my life thus far, they understand my reasoning and also understand that if I do happen to become a piece of cabbage, they have my permission to just stay home and enjoy their lives, instead of coming to look at cabbage-man lay there.

Heck, I might be having a great time in a fantastic dream. Who can say?

Lets you and I agree to disagree on this and just enjoy our lives for now. How's that sound to you?

I figure there must be something I'm supposed to accomplish that hasn't been done yet. I keep bouncing back, regardless of the circumstances of my body.

Perhaps, at 71, (12 years from now), I'll think differently, but I doubt it.

Good luck to you. I hope you make it as a happy person and experience wonderful things until you're 120 or

i am 73 years old, i do not wish to spend the last of my days, in a home. if my brain is gone, i want to be gone as well. i have a friend of forty years that has for all practical purposes been a veggie for two years. she will never get better, she is not aware of much of anything. only machines are keeping her alive. as well as i knew her and we discussed many times not wanting to end this way. her daughter , who is ignoring reality , is giving her "hello kitty" stuff for christmas. how is that for destroying whatever dignity she might have left. my only hope is that she is not in that fog somewhere, knowing what is going on. it breaks my heart. i do not wish that ending or anything like it for myself. when i am beyond where i know anything, let me go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom