Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Season 2 continues into the war years. It's aired in the UK already, and I think it comes to the US in January... not positive about that.

Another Downton fan here. I also liked the Cranford story very much. BBC does those period pieces so very well. And the series Foyle's War, a detective series set in WWII.

This being the Vent thread, I'll complain about the cracked disc I just got from Netflix. Seems like if I order something very recent or "must-see," there are scratches or other damage. This one was obviously broken.

I know I'm perpetuating the problem by posting this here, but only sort of since I'm not praising or bashing. I just need to say that I am so sick of hearing about Twilight!!!! Almost daily I see some sort of facebook post or youtube video gone viral bashing the franchise. Most of them are made by adults. Do people really have nothing better to do with their time? I enjoyed the books, but I can certainly agree that the obsession with them got a little out of hand. However, people seem to be forgetting. Obsessing is what teenage girls do! It's practically hardwired into the female DNA to obsess about things when they're that age. (Teenage boys do it, too, btw. Video games, sports, etc.)

Do people realize that by constantly repeating the same that-was-hilarious-the-first-70-times-I-heard-it cracks about the plotline, characters, and movies, they are just fueling the fire? Nothing solidifies a teenage girl's devotion like feeling the need to defend her imaginary character(s) against ridicule.

Yes, the franchise has some adult fans as well, but no one over the age of 15 is claiming that these stories have any artistic significance. No one is saying that they are intelligent, witty, thought-inspiring works that will become sure classics. No one is placing Twilight among the works of Shakespeare, Hemingway, Bradbury, McCarthy, Wells, or Austen. No one is claiming the movies are the next Shawshank Redemption or even the next Gladiator. They are entertainment, plain and simple. They are the Road Trip, or Super Troupers of their genre, for their audience. They're not meant to inspire, just to entertain and make money.

They are not even close to worthy of all this backlash.

Last edited:
I may be the only person who has not seen nor read any of the Twilight saga. I like my vampires to be more realistic and traditional with lots of dark night neck biting and such. Turning it into a love story ruins it for me.

But I guess that's the difference between a "chick-flick" and a "Man-movie".

There was a series of books where the lead vampire was a policeman. I think it had about 3 books in all. They were well written and I enjoyed them. Anyone know the ones I'm talking about? The time period was now and there was a lot of "vampire science" in the stories.

I am proud to be a British. I am proud to be part of Europe.The prime minister of this miss begotten coalition has cast us into the European wilderness.The man is an imbecile

Boy, am I out of touch. What is Twilight? What does it have to do with the EU? Duh.

I have no idea what the EU and this series has in common. Other than Vampire Legends being of European Origin.

The Twilight Saga is a series of supernatural romance fantasy films from Summit Entertainment based on the four Twilight series novels by the American author Stephenie Meyer. The films star Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner. The series has grossed over $2 billion in worldwide receipts and consists, to date, of four motion pictures. The first installment Twilight was released on November 21, 2008. The second installment, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, followed on November 20, 2009, breaking box office records as the biggest midnight screening and opening day in history, grossing an estimated $72.7 million. The third installment, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, was released on June 30, 2010, and is the first Twilight film to be released in IMAX.

Last edited:
tried to watch steven king's bag of bones first half on last night, i won't be watching the second. i appears impossible for hollywood to translate his books to the screen. the only scene that was true to book, was when the bus hit his wife. i actually gasped when i saw it. it was all down hill from there. what was done to "the shining" was just so wrong.

tried to watch steven king's bag of bones first half on last night, i won't be watching the second. i appears impossible for hollywood to translate his books to the screen. the only scene that was true to book, was when the bus hit his wife. i actually gasped when i saw it. it was all down hill from there. what was done to "the shining" was just so wrong.

I agree.

I enjoy Stephen King books but, some of the movies turn into some sort of cartoonish odd comedies. For me the movie is always better if I have not read the book first.

I've spent the better part of an hour looking in last year's receipts for a particular bill. Haven't found it yet. I do save so much paperwork -- receipts, legal docs, and of course tax returns -- and try to file it logically. Most of the time I find whatever I'm looking for, but often at the cost of time and plain old frustration. I get so annoyed and wish I could just pitch or shred or burn everything and be done with it, but that would just produce more frustration and time spent trying to recreate or re-document when something comes up. I don't envy my kids when it falls to them to go through this garbage; but since it probably won't mean anything to them, maybe it won't be so bad. An oil drum and a match should work nicely.

^^^ An oil drum and a match won't work for me since I live in the city.
Using a shredder, I've shredded thousands of pieces of old receipts and docs over the last couple of years. Aside from what can't be filed electronically I keep a large 4 drawer file cabinet, but not nearly as full as it used to be. This is one area which has simplified my life.

Back
Top Bottom