Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^ An oil drum and a match won't work for me since I live in the city.
I wouldn't let that stop me. Ah, the beauty of seeing a whole block lit up.

So I go to run an errand in the morning, come home, take a pill. Pill makes me very sleepy. I give in and go into a deep sleep. Door bell rings. I jump up, or I should say top half of body jumps up. Bottom half like jelly and still asleep. I must report. Muscle relaxers really work. Have to get to buzzer to let med guy with new prescription in. Uh, oh. I am in trouble. Body wants to go back to sleep on the floor. Down I go. Had the good sense to lean against the bed as I slid down to the floor. Don't want a broken hip. Med guy had the good sense to walk in when I don't answer the door. He knows I am always home at this hour. Sees me on the floor. Runs to get help. By now I am wide awake, but bottom half of body still like jelly.

Ah, good ole 911. Paramedics come along with a bunch of residents of the building. Check me out to make sure no broken bones. Pick me up and put me back on my bed where I should have stayed in the first place. All is well. Go back to your own apartments folks. Excitement is all over. So I stay in bed for the next hour. Tea time at six o'clock. Don't want to miss it. So I slowly sit up. Put feet on the floor. Aaah! Jelly body gone. Make it over to scooter. Go to Tea Time in Community Room. Big mistake!!! Have to relate what happened all over again for those who might have missed it. Stayed long enough to be polite. Come back upstairs.

I seemed to have become the Drama Queen of the building. A title I really don't want. Paramedics and I have become good friends and on first name basis. I see more of them than I do my kids.

Report. This city has recognized that the elderly population is on the rise. And they hold seminars for people who come in contact with them on a regular basis. They are taught, that if you suspect that an elderly person might be in trouble, call 911. Don't wait for an invite. Did I feel embarrassed? Not in the least. I am just grateful that my med delivery man knew me well enough to walk in and find me on the floor. (Still fully clothed.)

HELP!!! I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP! I will never make fun of that ad again. I have a whole city looking out for me. :)

Okay. Vent over! Thank you for listening.

Good grief, Addie! I imagine that was a lot more excitement than you expected as the result of taking a pill. I'm glad that all's well that ends well.

I've not made fun of that slogan since becoming a 'senior.' But for me these days it's now revised to address electronics: "Help - I've fallen behind and I can't catch up". I wonder if I can get away with just ignoring all the gadgetry. Oh, and where did I leave my buggy whip.

I seemed to have become the Drama Queen of the building. A title I really don't want. Paramedics and I have become good friends and on first name basis. I see more of them than I do my kids.

At least they are good folks to be on a first name basis:) Be careful, I don't want you to get a broken hip, either. Nasty things.

Addie, I know exactly how you felt! I went to sleep one time in the Army, with my knees over the railing of the cot I was sleeping on. Well, it must have cut off the circulation to my lower legs, because when I awoke, my legs were totally numb from the knee down. It scared the hell out of me at the time. Everyone else was running out of the building into formation in the front and I'm laying on the floor wallowing around like a fish out of water. The blood flow started again and in 5 minutes, I was up and running.

I'm glad your adventure turned out well.

Addie,

I'm glad you are all right!

Your story brought back memories of my mother. She used to be on a first name basis with the paramedics. I would call to check in on her and she would say the Chipmunks were here last night. She meant the Chippendales but at 91 it always came out as the Chipmunks! Those young fellas were her big thrill and I think they got a kick out of her too.:LOL:

I cannot stand when people do half - ars job. My DFIL has a plumbing supply store so i asked if he can get me a certain faucet, well guess what he sent me a half of the faucet and fromm a manufacturer that is not compatible with anybody, so I cannot even walk into a store and buy the piece that i need. And the worst part I vcannot even say anything to him, so he would not explode and tell me that I told him the wrong thing. Grrrrrr. I just want to scream.

So--I live on a dirt road. I went into the village this a.m. to get a few things for the last batches of cookies. I was 1 km from the house (on the dirt road) and all of the sudden the car behind me started flashing blue and red. I was in my "house clothes," my wallet was on the kitchen table because I was cleaning it out to have it ready for my trip to CT tomorrow....the "cop" was very nice. He followed me home and let me go inside and get my wallet, insurance policy (that card was also in my wallet), tried to make friends with Myrtle, and didn't give me a ticket. But geez, is policing such that you pull s/one over on a dirt road for a dirty license plate? No fine, no ticket, but my heart was pounding!

So--I live on a dirt road. I went into the village this a.m. to get a few things for the last batches of cookies. I was 1 km from the house (on the dirt road) and all of the sudden the car behind me started flashing blue and red. I was in my "house clothes," my wallet was on the kitchen table because I was cleaning it out to have it ready for my trip to CT tomorrow....the "cop" was very nice. He followed me home and let me go inside and get my wallet, insurance policy (that card was also in my wallet), tried to make friends with Myrtle, and didn't give me a ticket. But geez, is policing such that you pull s/one over on a dirt road for a dirty license plate? No fine, no ticket, but my heart was pounding!

I understand, CWS, I hate being pulled over by a cop too. It always makes me start stuttering and my hands start shaking. I don't know why I get that reaction, but it's always the same.

I understand, CWS, I hate being pulled over by a cop too. It always makes me start stuttering and my hands start shaking. I don't know why I get that reaction, but it's always the same.
I hear ya on that one. I don't drive and if the car I am in gets pulled over I am a nervous wreck. How am I going to get home if the cop takes the driver in? All sorts of panic thoughts race through my head. Once my daughter got pulled over. The cop wanted to see who the handicap placard was for. She only displays it when I am in the car. She used it once when I wasn't and sure enough, she got caught. She works for the Registry and could have lost her job. Lesson learned. The cop just confiscated the placard. She got me a new one the next day. :ohmy:

God, what an Idiot I am. I'm usually much more up on things British (or international for that matter) affairs/culture than people I know around here because of my background, but movie references that are modern evade me, and EU politics we don't hear about unless they explode and wind up on BBC/America half-hour broadcast at 6. Subtleties go over my head, especially if they refer to modern popular culture (now, if it was a ten plus year old TV series, maybe I'd get it!)

My latest gripe hasn't quite come to fruition. Yesterday morning a water main broke near our house. I wasn't home, and my husband was distracted by some home repairs we have a contractor working on. We had no water for a couple of hours, and were warned of it, and told that once the water was flowing again we'd be under a "boil drinking water" warning until further notice. Now, this doesn't aggravate me since this isn't the first 19th century community I've lived in (love the ambience, pay for it in these sorts of things). But if I'd been home it might have occurred to me to fill pitchers with drinking water and to fill a bucket or two with water to flush the toilet with.

What I'm wondering is if the city (actually a small town of about 3300) will think to notify me, especially as it is segueing into the weekend, when the "boil water" order is not needed. I spent the afternoon boiling water, so have a few gallons of drinking water stored, but knowing city hall, I'll probably be boiling water long after the order is rescinded. I'll try to remember to call them before they close for the weekend today. As it is, it is only an irritation, not a catastrophe.

not sure this is the right thread for this. it is slowing down my getting christmas stuff finished up. couple days ago , while using grab bar to get out of the shower, i felt something snap, tear, whatever in my right arm. it really hurt. two days later a baseball size bruise appears. i have never had nor have i ever seen a bruise like this.it is not tender to the touch. by yesterday was finally able to use that arm . couldn't believe how much it limited my motion . doesn't hurt at all anymore. it really ticked me off . i have no clue what happened but think it is o.k. now.

not sure this is the right thread for this. it is slowing down my getting christmas stuff finished up. couple days ago , while using grab bar to get out of the shower, i felt something snap, tear, whatever in my right arm. it really hurt. two days later a baseball size bruise appears. i have never had nor have i ever seen a bruise like this.it is not tender to the touch. by yesterday was finally able to use that arm . couldn't believe how much it limited my motion . doesn't hurt at all anymore. it really ticked me off . i have no clue what happened but think it is o.k. now.

No lump or warmth when it happened? A blood vessel may have broken when you flexed your arm. Keep an eye on it. But, if there is no pain now, that is what I guess may have happened. Anything odd about it or the pain returns, get it checked.

Easy does it with the break-dancing in the shower, Babe2! Ya can't be bustin a move with all that water and soap on the floor! Be careful, please!

Hope this episode doesn't hinder the raising of the elbow for the holidays! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom