Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what... do you wanna know that force equals mass times acceleration?

I went to school for electronics, and that was a required course. I don't remember everything.

Last edited:
So, all of you smarty pants pzzzzzzzics people are knowing stuff you haven't shared.....Hmmmmmm, what's up with that?

I mean,... seriously....

Oh, Timothy... You are the one I asked first. Is there a textbook you can recommend (or anyone?) that is like "physics for dummies"?

I'm sure you know more than I do about this subject, but like you, I'm fascinated.

My mother-in-law and I never really forged a relationship, but I will always keep her in my mind for saying, "Claire is a self-educated woman". She said it when she didn't know I was listening and with obvious pride. It gave me a warm fuzzy that we never otherwise achieved. Oh, I graduated from high school, in my day everyone did, period (draft, Vietnam war. If you dropped out of anything, you were toast!)

Why can't people who are paid to do a job do it!?

Seems like a fair trade off to me. I pay you. You just do the job. Simple enough.
I payed the supposed professionals good money for a job that I had to redo myself by hand. I can't stand to sew period, never have.

Hubby bought new uniforms. Sure they measured him for it. Not only did it take almost 2 weeks for them to get here, the alterations hadn't been done at all. They were still the same size as the ones he took off the rack.

I spent all weekend ( too many interruptions ) Altering them.

I didn't get mad until tonight. Finally finished them. All I had to do was press and I'd be free. Popped the breaker 5 times just to use my iron. Every time I turned it on. Out went the lights. I wanted to knock that person's lights out!

This is why I got kicked out of Home Ec... Temper, temper... :cool:

Seems like a fair trade off to me. I pay you. You just do the job. Simple enough.
I payed the supposed professionals good money for a job that I had to redo myself by hand. I can't stand to sew period, never have.

Hubby bought new uniforms. Sure they measured him for it. Not only did it take almost 2 weeks for them to get here, the alterations hadn't been done at all. They were still the same size as the ones he took off the rack.

I didn't get mad until tonight. Finally finished them. All I had to do was press and I'd be free. Popped the breaker 5 times just to use my iron. Every time I turned it on. Out went the lights. I wanted to knock that person's lights out!

Sounds like a call should be placed to management on Monday. Very frustrating, especially when it's something you can do, but hate doing it. I think that's when I get the maddest over lack of service, when it's something I could do, but am willing to pay the extra to have someone else do it.

I wish I had that talent. I don't think I'd have the patience.

So I called yesterday--all I got was "when you were here, you should've done xxxx". Give me a break. This from my brother who hasn't been there for 2 years. I took my parents to my uncle's for his birthday--to The Lake where my mom spent time with her SIL...and I did clean the cupboards--it's been 6 months!!!

Last edited:
So I called yesterday--all I got was "when you were here, you should've done xxxx". Give me a break. This from my brother who hasn't been there for 2 years. I took my parents to my uncle's for his birthday--to The Lake where my mom spent time with her SIL...and I did clean the cupboards--it's been 6 months!!!

I am glad you called yesterday!

New Year ahead, let it go!

Your brother sounds like my sister. She has always been good about determining what I should do and not quite so good about determining what she should do. When my parents started to have problems with daily living I had to quietly explain to her that she needed to focus on what she could do to help them and I would do what I felt I could do. It did not change anything but, it made me feel better. It still amazes me that my brothers and sisters are exactly the same today as I remember them to be when we were growing up. Now they are just trapped in old wrinkly bodies.

Keep calling, and do what you can. It will be important to you in years to come.

CW, I can understand your frustration with your siblings. Growing up my sister was always there to take care of me and protect me. As we got older and my mother developed cancer, her attention should have been focused on her. But instead all I got was, "Well you live closer." "I have small kids." "I am too busy." One excuse after another.

Well, I did live closer and had four kids. She only had three and they were older than mine. And what mother isn't busy. At the funeral she accused of not taking care of my mother better. I held my tongue. I never told her what I was really thinking. And I am glad I did. Years later inside of just a couple of days, she lost her house to a fire on New Years Eve and her son a couple of days later in a horrible car crash along with three other teenagers. But I was there for her. We just never know what the future holds for any of us. My sister and I never had an argument or fight in all our years. Her kids and mine wouldn't believe it if they didn't see it for themselves.

When I lost my daughter to murder, she was there for me. When she was in the hospital with serious heart problems, I had her husband and by then her four kids move into my house. I took care of them. It was always give and take between us. And neither one of us ever expressed any regrets or kept score.

Then three years ago, she got very sick and died unexpectedly. I feel so lost without her. I was the one who got the phone call from the hospital. Not one of her children. But I know in my heart I will never have to live with the "If only's." If only I had done this. If only I had said that. And that is the message I have passed on to my children. Live your life knowing that you will have to live with the "If only's" if you hold a grudge in your heart. I was reminded of that by my son at her funeral. I was on the verge of collapsed and couldn't go up to her casket to say goodbye. My son stayed at my side and told me that I would always regret it if I didn't day goodbye. And he was right.

Losing her has taught me to never hold a grudge against anyone. It is wasted energy only your part. And the other person probably doesn't even know you are angry or upset with them.

Addie--I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter.

What I get from my brother is "it is so difficult to travel there." Yeah, and? I get there. He makes more $ than I do. There are airplanes/trains/buses/rental cars (he doesn't own a car). My complaint is--don't complain about what I did or did not do while there. I did what I could. And, more recently, my time there is doing things with my mom that she wants to do (out for lunch, shopping, visiting her SIL, etc.). He, on the other hand, wants to empty their house. Yes, we'll have to do that at some point, but they don't want to do it now.

Last edited:
Not to sound insensitive, here, but I think family relationships depend a lot on expectations. Not everybody feels the same way about them. Nor, should they have to. I wish nothing but the best for my siblings, but, honestly, I'm good with a couple of hours' visit every month or so. If, and when they invite me over or ask for a favour, I'd be there like a shot, no questions asked. As far as their feelings towards me go, or how they respond towards my feelings, I don't ask or expect anything.......we just exist in our individual parallel universes, tied together by one common bond....

Last edited:
Not to sound insensitive, here, but I think family relationships depend a lot on expectations. Not everybody feels the same way about them. Nor, should they have to. I wish nothing but the best for my siblings, but, honestly, I'm good with a couple of hours' visit every month or so. If, and when they invite me over or ask for a favour, I'd be there like a shot, no questions asked. As far as their feelings towards me go, or how they respond towards my feelings, I don't ask or expect anything.......we just exist in our individual parallel universes, tied together by one common bond....

AMEN!:angel:

I feel like the fates wanted to give me a crushinging ending to 2011.

I've told you all about my stand mixer/commode episode.

And I've told you about my dishwasher issues.

Now let me tell you about my car.

Yup, my brand freakin' new car that has less than 3,000 miles on it and is less than six months old.

SO and I decided to have Chinese take-out Friday night and beat the New Years Eve rush at every Chinese restaurant in the East. I called and gave an order.

Shortly thereafter (all Chinese take-out is ready in 10 minutes), I got ready to go get it and found my car was completely dead as a doornail. The remote key wouldn't open the door. There was no lighting activity at all. I unlocked the door and tried to start it - not even a whimper. I thought either something was very wrong or I had left something turned on when I last used the car a couple of days earlier.

Saturday, with the light of day, I checked the car visually and found no problems and nothing I had left on to drain the battery.

SO and I jump-started the car and drove it to the dealership where it sits until tomorrow.

Not the kind of behavior I expect from a new Honda.

I fervently hope the new year gives me some respite from these calamities.

Yup, my brand freakin' new car that has less than 3,000 miles on it and is less than six months old.

SO and I decided to have Chinese take-out Friday night and beat the New Years Eve rush at every Chinese restaurant in the East. I called and gave an order.

Shortly thereafter (all Chinese take-out is ready in 10 minutes), I got ready to go get it and found my car was completely dead as a doornail. The remote key wouldn't open the door. There was no lighting activity at all. I unlocked the door and tried to start it - not even a whimper. I thought either something was very wrong or I had left something turned on when I last used the car a couple of days earlier.

Saturday, with the light of day, I checked the car visually and found no problems and nothing I had left on to drain the battery.

SO and I jump-started the car and drove it to the dealership where it sits until tomorrow.

I hope so too, Andy!

I'm dreading what the new year has in store for me...:ermm:

I'm really disappointed to hear that it was a Honda. I've driven nothing but H since 1992 and have come to rely of their dependability. Rats.

I do recall an instance back in 1996 when I could not start my car. After having it towed away and "fixed" I realized that, acting on an old, moth-eaten habit, I had pumped the gas prior to turning on the key. At least, I think that's what was wrong. They never found anything wrong with it. Good luck. Hope it's a simple fix.

Super bummed for you, Andy. Love my used 2006 Honda Accord. DH claims it's like driving a sports car. I don't allow him to have the keys anymore.

Hope everything works out!

Hopefully, that will make the 3 (bad things that happen) and Murphy will leave you alone for awhile.

At least your KA is still ticking.

You should send them a copy of the picture and let them know their product still works. Maybe you'd get something free.

Back
Top Bottom