Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stitch Witchery...you need an iron and ironing board for that, right?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I used to love sewing and grew to hate it, too! But not as much as I hate ironing.

Stitch Witchery...you need an iron and ironing board for that, right?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I used to love sewing and grew to hate it, too! But not as much as I hate ironing.

I love to iron. I have an old ironing board from the 1940's. It has a wooden top. Paid 69 cents in the thrift store for it. I do have a flat iron that you have to heat on the stove top. No, I use that one for a door stop. But my iron is an Euro Pro. A big steam tank. :ohmy:

I love to iron. I have an old ironing board from the 1940's. It has a wooden top. Paid 69 cents in the thrift store for it. I do have a flat iron that you have to heat on the stove top. No, I use that one for a door stop. But my iron is an Euro Pro. A big steam tank. :ohmy:

As kids we had to iron everything...even my Dad's clothes...When I met Shrek, first thing I told him, I do not iron...he has his own ironing board and iron.:rolleyes:

As kids we had to iron everything...even my Dad's clothes...When I met Shrek, first thing I told him, I do not iron...he has his own ironing board and iron.:rolleyes:

When I was a youngster, maybe 10-13 yo, for some reason or another I saw mom ironing a shirt and said it looked easy. She offered to let me try and I did. She said I a pretty good job and from now on I could iron my own shirts. She was true to her words. She never ironed a shirt for me again.

When I was a youngster, maybe 10-13 yo, for some reason or another I saw mom ironing a shirt and said it looked easy. She offered to let me try and I did. She said I a pretty good job and from now on I could iron my own shirts. She was true to her words. She never ironed a shirt for me again.

My mom taught me to iron almost as soon as I could stand up to the ironing board. My first lessons were Daddy's handkerchiefs. Then, as soon as we got old enough, if we had clothes that needed ironing, then it was "here's the iron". When my husband started collecting social security, I told him my portion was going to be taking things to the laundry for ironing (don't mind washing).

My mom taught me to iron almost as soon as I could stand up to the ironing board. My first lessons were Daddy's handkerchiefs. Then, as soon as we got old enough, if we had clothes that needed ironing, then it was "here's the iron". When my husband started collecting social security, I told him my portion was going to be taking things to the laundry for ironing (don't mind washing).

Buy a steamer instead. I have a friend who is a seamstress, that's why she still owns an iron. You can't iron a seam open with a steamer. You also need an iron to use any iron on stuff.

I was am weird. As a kid I loved ironing. I did all the ironing at home. I still enjoy it once in a while, but I want a steamer.

OK. Husband went outside and noticed the dog was missing. She'd only been out a few minutes. I went out and yelled for her and she came up to the fence immediately. I reached over the fence (an old-fashioned picket, but with netting under it), grabbed her by the collar, and yelled at hubby to come get her. She's just heavy enough that I could have picked her up and hauled her over. But not wise (who needs a back being thrown out). He went and leashed her and brought her in (she's a heinz 57, about 25 lbs). Meanwhile I have a few bricks and bricked up where she went under the fence. I was always afraid she'd jump over the fence when excited by the the chase, and she's never shown any indication of digging under the fence. Of all the pets I've had, she is the most responsive to her name, and when I went out and yelled her name she was right there. I asked hubby, did he call her name. For some reason no.

People who think animals can't feel human emotions such as guilt don't know Rosebud. You know the term hang-dog? She's been moping around since we took her in. I don't thing she'll get carried away again. We were concerned because neighbors of ours lost their dog a few weeks ago and now have a pit bull/rottie mix, who could kill my dog in ten seconds or less, so I want Rosebud to say in her fence. In a few weeks the growth will grow around the fence line, and she'll have a harder time leaving the yard.

I haven't seen the new neighborhood dog yet. But I don't want to meet it because it killed mine.

Two lessons learned. Found a breach under the fence and fixed that. Tell husband to call his dog, not panic first and go searching. She, on the other hand, seems to have had a lesson learned as well, that is to say, stay in your own yard, it's much safer.

OK. Husband went outside and noticed the dog was missing. She'd only been out a few minutes. I went out and yelled for her and she came up to the fence immediately. I reached over the fence (an old-fashioned picket, but with netting under it), grabbed her by the collar, and yelled at hubby to come get her. She's just heavy enough that I could have picked her up and hauled her over. But not wise (who needs a back being thrown out). He went and leashed her and brought her in (she's a heinz 57, about 25 lbs). Meanwhile I have a few bricks and bricked up where she went under the fence. I was always afraid she'd jump over the fence when excited by the the chase, and she's never shown any indication of digging under the fence. Of all the pets I've had, she is the most responsive to her name, and when I went out and yelled her name she was right there. I asked hubby, did he call her name. For some reason no.

People who think animals can't feel human emotions such as guilt don't know Rosebud. You know the term hang-dog? She's been moping around since we took her in. I don't thing she'll get carried away again. We were concerned because neighbors of ours lost their dog a few weeks ago and now have a pit bull/rottie mix, who could kill my dog in ten seconds or less, so I want Rosebud to say in her fence. In a few weeks the growth will grow around the fence line, and she'll have a harder time leaving the yard.

I haven't seen the new neighborhood dog yet. But I don't want to meet it because it killed mine.

Two lessons learned. Found a breach under the fence and fixed that. Tell husband to call his dog, not panic first and go searching. She, on the other hand, seems to have had a lesson learned as well, that is to say, stay in your own yard, it's much safer.

My best friend had a dog named Baby, the second you called her name, she'd come running without fail. She was the most obedient dog that I have ever known. Anytime she did something bad (which was actually very rare) she would get this very guilty look and mope around. If she was running toward the road, all you had to do is yell "BABY!" and she would stop in her tracks. She was such a special dog. She had a whole range of emotions. I'm not even a dog person but bonded with this dog.

Many a hild was so glad when wash and wear came into being. :ermm:

Buy a steamer instead. I have a friend who is a seamstress, that's why she still owns an iron. You can't iron a seam open with a steamer. You also need an iron to use any iron on stuff.

I was am weird. As a kid I loved ironing. I did all the ironing at home. I still enjoy it once in a while, but I want a steamer.
I have a sister who likes to iron. I mean, she irons jeans. My sisters and I just hand her our clothes on those rare occasions we're together.

I avoid spending extra for housecleaning equipment for chores I hate to do anyway. They sometimes make is slightly less of a p-in-the-a, but rarely worthwhile for the extra expense.

Many a hild was so glad when wash and wear came into being. :ermm:

Permanent press never looked good enough to me to wear them without ironing. I had no desire to wash and iron five shirts a week. I had to dress for work every day so I was glad there was a laundry down the street that did shirts for a reasonable price. When I started out, a washed and ironed shirt cost $0.25. When I retired, they were $1.50!

I have a sister who likes to iron. I mean, she irons jeans. My sisters and I just hand her our clothes on those rare occasions we're together.

I avoid spending extra for housecleaning equipment for chores I hate to do anyway. They sometimes make is slightly less of a p-in-the-a, but rarely worthwhile for the extra expense.

I understand that, but you wrote "When my husband started collecting social security, I told him my portion was going to be taking things to the laundry for ironing (don't mind washing)." So, I figured the steamer would eventually pay for itself.

I understand that, but you wrote "When my husband started collecting social security, I told him my portion was going to be taking things to the laundry for ironing (don't mind washing)." So, I figured the steamer would eventually pay for itself.
It probably would! I bought one when they first came out, and it didn't work great (that was many, many moons ago!), so now I just pay someone to do it. It isn't a huge amount; almost nothing in the winter (lots of sweaters and jeans, washer, then dryer and back on the bod). In the summer cotton shirts, 2 or 3 a week in the summer. Oh, and table cloths. It isn't like we're gainfully employed and wear suits. Now THAT was an expense.

Last edited:
Permanent press never looked good enough to me to wear them without ironing. I had no desire to wash and iron five shirts a week. I had to dress for work every day so I was glad there was a laundry down the street that did shirts for a reasonable price. When I started out, a washed and ironed shirt cost $0.25. When I retired, they were $1.50!

I don't remember what it cost at all. But my father, then me, then my husband were all in the military, and they were, at some point (about when I was in my early 20s) went to "wash and wear." Unless you were standing at the dryer at the right time, they weren't wear-able. So ... iron, iron and iron some more.

We both happen to like cotton shirts in the summer, and I'm happy to be able to afford to take them to the cleaners (I really haven't paid attention to the cost! I wash them myself and just bring them to be ironed).

the only time i iron is when i sew. slightly rumpled clothes are fine with me.

Ninety-nine percent of my clothing is cotton. And I don't put them in the dryer. Just another one of my quirks.:ermm:

99% of mine is cotton, too...I pull it out of the dryer as fast as possible. If it's too wrinkled because I am slow, it goes back in the dryer with a wet washcloth.

99% of mine is cotton, too...I pull it out of the dryer as fast as possible. If it's too wrinkled because I am slow, it goes back in the dryer with a wet washcloth.
I guess I must be really old because I don't get this. My DIL has been married for about 15 years and has three kids...she has never owned and iron. I get that things are much more casual these days and in fact I rarely iron but still there are times even with dryers that stuff at least needs a little touch up. At least they do in my wardrobe. Things sure have changed. I remember about a million years ago when I was about 5, my mother set the ironing board up to my height and gave me a stack of pillowcases to iron. Thank God for permanent press! I can't imagine doing that these days.

My mom said the worst thing to iron was our dresses when we were toddlers. Tiny, wrinkled 100% cotton dresses with lots of "nooks and crannies."

My favorite story about ironing has nothing to do with ironing actually. When I was a toddler my mom took in ironing to make a little money. When she went into labor with my sister, she was walking to the car, all doubled up in pain, when the neighbor woman ran over, demanding to know when her ironing would be finished! Sheesh!

I guess I must be really old because I don't get this. My DIL has been married for about 15 years and has three kids...she has never owned and iron. I get that things are much more casual these days and in fact I rarely iron but still there are times even with dryers that stuff at least needs a little touch up. At least they do in my wardrobe. Things sure have changed. I remember about a million years ago when I was about 5, my mother set the ironing board up to my height and gave me a stack of pillowcases to iron. Thank God for permanent press! I can't imagine doing that these days.

Smart mother! She was training you for your adult life. Like you said, sometimes things need just a touchup. I went to a summr wedding. One woman had on a cotton sundress. Very pretty. But it sure could have used a touchup with an iron. Pretty hat, pretty summr shoes. But the pretty dress was a mess. :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom