Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can sympathize. dawg is right and has excellent advice. (but beware al-anon and therapy. it can be as harmful as helpful. deoends on the folks involved. the only person that knows what's good for you is you)

you have to let your family live their own lives.

until, of course, a family member is incapable of taking care of themselves.

man, there's grey areas attached to everything i just said.

nevermind.

Last edited:
I am so angry with my body I am so sleepy. But my body won't let me sleep more than 20 minutes. Then I wake up. So I get up and do more cleaning. The house is getting nice and clean. But I am getting more tired. Eventually, I will crash. Thn the phone will ring or someone will be at the door. I can hardly keep my eyes open. If I lay down I will become wide awake. Oh joy! :mad:

I am so angry with my body I am so sleepy. But my body won't let me sleep more than 20 minutes. Then I wake up. So I get up and do more cleaning. The house is getting nice and clean. But I am getting more tired. Eventually, I will crash. Thn the phone will ring or someone will be at the door. I can hardly keep my eyes open. If I lay down I will become wide awake. Oh joy! :mad:
Addie,
What helps you get to sleep? Would the same thing help you stay asleep? If so slap something in or on your ears, block the darn world and just sleep as long as you can. I'm having trouble sleeping as well. I've been getting across the bed and when I wake my knee joint hurt like heck it's so bad I want to cry. DH has to help me get started and that's the pits. Poor guy has enough to do with out waiting on me. So tonight a railing is going up to stop me wandering off the side or my falling off the side of the darn bed. Tis s getting awful. I so hope you can get some decent rest. Take care friend
Kades

Addie,
What helps you get to sleep? Would the same thing help you stay asleep? If so slap something in or on your ears, block the darn world and just sleep as long as you can. I'm having trouble sleeping as well. I've been getting across the bed and when I wake my knee joint hurt like heck it's so bad I want to cry. DH has to help me get started and that's the pits. Poor guy has enough to do with out waiting on me. So tonight a railing is going up to stop me wandering off the side or my falling off the side of the darn bed. Tis s getting awful. I so hope you can get some decent rest. Take care friend
Kades

Ma, this is the one I got for Shrek, he loves it and said it was the best idea I ever had.

Stander Stable Bed Rail ON SALE 5800 BedRail, Assist Rail

Everyone in my family "gets along with" my dad, he is a very kind man, and a generally good person, but within the last few years his drinking problem has escalated to the point that it's hard to like him. He has quit drinking for years at a time a couple times, and when he was drinking he would wait until at least 5 to have his first beer, and when he first started having heart problems he made an effort to limit his number of beers per night. Now it seems like he has decided that since he can't seem to beat it, he is just going to drink himself to death. He was controlling his blood pressure with diet, a walk, and a nap every day, but now he seems to have given up on everything but the nap. He is back on blood pressure medication, which he quit taking in the first place because of the side effects, but since he gave up on trying to be healthy it's necessary. My mom is afraid the alcohol is destroying his brain, and soon he won't be able to work. He needs to be in reasonably good health to maintain his class A license, and if he keeps this up he won't pass the health tests (the only time he isn't drinking is when he is working. On weekends he has a beer in his hand before noon). He is self employed, and his work days seem to be getting shorter and shorter too. He has said that he is worth more dead than alive anyway, and if he feels that way, we all sort of wish he would just hurry up and die. The way things are going he is just going to end up bankrupting my poor mother by spending all the money they have coming in on beer, hospital bills, and prescription drugs (for his heart problems, and whatever else might come about due to his drinking). Not to mention what it must be like being married to someone who you have to be sure not to tell anything important to after 6:00 because he might not remember it. I honestly don't know how he can do that to her. She's threatened him with divorce, and he said he would sell off and hide all his assets, then start working for cash only, so she couldn't get any money out of him, but at this point I don't think I would even care about that at this point. Ugh. Alcoholism is one of the most terrible diseases. Knowing him as a normal person, obviously this is very out of character for him. I'm sure he feels bad about it when he's sober, but he doesn't want to quit...

I know alcoholism all too well. It is a hard life to live. I feel sorry for everyone involved :(

Thank you so much PF. You have no idea how much this will help me. DH just ordered it for me YIPEEEEEThanks again and again. You are a dear heart.
ma

And it's portable, you can take it with you!!! It's the perfect thing to give you a hand up and if it's strong enough to hold Shrek's weight it's definitely strong enough for you! Shrek likes the pockets on it.

My only vents today are the cat and teeth.

The cat won't stay away from the areas that I have sprayed with Raid. Plus, I'm going through a painful wisdom tooth coming in. Geez, do you they ever stop coming in?

My vent is about my poor dog. He has ANOTHER hot spot and this one is the worst yet. Its right under his tail and on his bum. I've never seen him so freaked out. He was spinning in circles, licking, whining, running...it was awful. He is now lying on the floor with the cone of shame on. I hate doing that to him but I have to until the pain pills kick in. Poor thing.

The vet tells me it is likely inhalant related. She says this has been the worst year in a long time for allergies and that is likely his problem. So there is just nothing I can do for him except try to get him through until the pollen count is lower. Poor guy. He is so miserable.

My only vents today are the cat and teeth.

The cat won't stay away from the areas that I have sprayed with Raid. Plus, I'm going through a painful wisdom tooth coming in. Geez, do you they ever stop coming in?

I still have my four wisdom teeth. They never broke through. I didn't even know I had any until I was in my 60's. Now they are the only ones I have in my mouth. Once I had all the others removed, all four moved down from just below my ears to my mouth. But they still don't bother me. So I am leaving them alone. :)

My vent is about my poor dog. He has ANOTHER hot spot and this one is the worst yet. Its right under his tail and on his bum. I've never seen him so freaked out. He was spinning in circles, licking, whining, running...it was awful. He is now lying on the floor with the cone of shame on. I hate doing that to him but I have to until the pain pills kick in. Poor thing.

The vet tells me it is likely inhalant related. She says this has been the worst year in a long time for allergies and that is likely his problem. So there is just nothing I can do for him except try to get him through until the pollen count is lower. Poor guy. He is so miserable.
Hot spots and Saint Bernards are a given. There are several home remedies that help dry them up. Under the tail and on the bum is a place we haven't seen them--under the chin (where the drool collects, on the thigh, on the shoulder, on the top of the tail). One of the home remedies is to steep some black tea bags for about 10 minutes. Cool the tea bags and apply to the hot spot (it helps to shave the area). The tannin helps dry it up. We also used to get "Blue goo" which is what is used when you cut cattle horns. That dries it up but that worked best for the under-the-chin spots (where the dogs could not lick it). The other was to use the ear cleaner....Oti??? Oh, and diluted original Listerine in a spray bottle applied to the area. Flea allergy can often trigger hot spots, as can anxiety.

I hate the smell of hot spots!

Last edited:
I've got some tea dabby stuff all made up. Pacanis gave me a recipe which includes a crushed up aspirin and a splash of rubbing alcohol to help dry it up without being too painful. It works...but its tough to do by yourself in this particular spot.

We've had to use the cone of shame poor dog. He is completely mental about this one. I really don't like making him take steroids but we may have no choice here. This is his third bout in a month with hot spots. Poor puppy is completely miserable and we are not sleeping. I have a few minutes of peace while Ken takes him out for a walk. I'm just going to enjoy and be silent for a bit.

Sigh. Sometimes I get frustrated when every post on Facebook from one friend or another is just a sound bite or poster or meme. I don't have any stupid friends. They are all capable of individual thought, of expresing themselves in their own words. So why don't they use their own voices? Why do they cheat themselves, cheapen their intelligence, by incessantly parroting the overused? Why do they throw away the gift of individualism?

I don't mind the occasional lolcat amidst photos of loved ones (be they animal, vegetable, humanoid, or pet rock). I don't mind a philosphical poster with a comment from the friend about why he agrees with the idea (or she, I know, but the whole (s)he or he/she bit is awkward to read). I don't mind the use of famous quotes to highlight a point of view or belief. I don't even mind the occasional posting of one of those syrupy, artificially sweetened hall-markisms ("Real love is a gift without a price tag" imagine that said in a mocking, slightly breathy falsetto Urkle-like voice followed by the sounds of gagging. Hey, I said I didn't mind people posting them, not that I don't mind their existance).

"For heaven's sake people, say something for yourself on occasion." I want to scream that at them in ALL CAPS. "Here, I'll show you how, it's not difficult.

I love my husband. He's a fricking awesome guy.

See, not that difficult. Maybe just as trite as a hall-markism but at least I'm the one saying it."

That's what I want to post. Why don't I? Because I have before and it does no good. Maybe if I could find a way to reach across The Net, pop my hands and arms out of the screen, and shake them it would freak them out enough to make a lasting impact, but short of that I don't think I'll ever convince them to stop.

I have other rants about Facebook posting; over-expression of political or religious views (or any views really. It's great that you think chia pets are the bomb and should make a comeback but I don't need to hear about it in every post), chain posts that try to guilt people into reposting ("I know my REAL friends will be brave enough to repost." That's nice. I know *my* real friends know I'd likely punch them if they ever said that to my face). But I'm too tired to rant about them for now. Maybe another day. Night all.

P.S. Aren't those fantastic run-on sentances? ;-)

I've got some tea dabby stuff all made up. Pacanis gave me a recipe which includes a crushed up aspirin and a splash of rubbing alcohol to help dry it up without being too painful. It works...but its tough to do by yourself in this particular spot.

We've had to use the cone of shame poor dog. He is completely mental about this one. I really don't like making him take steroids but we may have no choice here. This is his third bout in a month with hot spots. Poor puppy is completely miserable and we are not sleeping. I have a few minutes of peace while Ken takes him out for a walk. I'm just going to enjoy and be silent for a bit.

What are hot spots? I know Teddy's tongue gets hot when he is not feeling well. It is usually from something he ate. Like finding a dead pigeon on one of his walks and eating just enough before he is stopped.

Can minor annoyances go on this thread, too? When I checked the rain gauge this morning, it only had about 1/4" of water from yesterday's shower. I noticed it was getting scummy and green in the bottom and could use a cleaning. I tore off a piece of soft paper towel and with a handy stick, stuffed it down to the bottom -- didn't poke it hard, honest! :angel: And the bottom popped out. Not much of a rain gauge any more. Since it's something that gets used every day (at least in the summertime), I need to replace it -- with a glass tube this time.

I ain't had a rain gauge since Isabel blew through here. Took my two best pecan trees, clothesline and attached rain gauge. Replaced the clothesline but I reckon since I been doin' OK without a rain gauge, ain't no need to get one now.

What are hot spots? I know Teddy's tongue gets hot when he is not feeling well. It is usually from something he ate. Like finding a dead pigeon on one of his walks and eating just enough before he is stopped.
Hot spots are an in-balance of the naturally occurring bacteria on a dog's skin. They usually are moist stinky infections (boo-boos) on the skin's surface. Alix--did you change his diet recently or introduce new treats?If no, dog food manufacturers don't have to change the ingredients list for 6 months after the formula is changed. But, a call to the 1-800 # might answer that question (s/thing different about the food). I have used Blue Power on hot spots with some success as well.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Blue Power Ear Treatment.pdf

Trapper doesn't know how to taste food. (it appears)

I made some orange vanilla pound cakes the other day, he takes a bite and says to me 'there's cornmeal in it'. Well, no there is not cornmeal in it. There is a crispish crust on it from flour and shortening but no cornmeal. He says there is cornmeal in it. He misidentified a taste with the texture of the crust.

I made a tuna macaroni salad, put some cucumbers chopped finely in it, no onions. He starts to eat it and says 'there is onion in it, I can taste it'. There is no onion in it. He misidentified the crunch of the cucumber with onion.

Then (yes all last week this happened) I make a pear pecan quinoa salad with some lemon juice. (maybe lime too) He says 'there is vinegar in here'. No there is no vinegar in there. Everything sour is not vinegar.

The texture of things seems to be more important than the taste.
I'm thinking I should have him eat blind folded and try to identify things by taste.:LOL:
This whole thing is weird and irritating!

Back
Top Bottom