Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to watch where I step. If the police are called I'd have to wonder about retaliation.

That car can't possibly be street legal. The exhaust fumes coming out if it chokes you. What's ticking me off is his lack of consideration for others peoples rights. I have a right to live in my own home in a peaceful manner. He's intruding into my space now. What about the other neighbors who are sick and would just like some peace. I'm completely aggravated. Why hasn't anyone else said anything yet? It's not the first time it's been 2 years of hell.

Where can I find info on city ordinances?
I understand the concern about retaliation. I would go to the police station and explain my concern. They don't need someone to file a complaint to arrest someone for illegal car or driving on the street. Might be a different story with the noise.

Your city bylaws might be online. Otherwise, try calling city hall.

Chef Munky said:
I have to watch where I step. If the police are called I'd have to wonder about retaliation.

That car can't possibly be street legal. The exhaust fumes coming out if it chokes you. What's ticking me off is his lack of consideration for others peoples rights. I have a right to live in my own home in a peaceful manner. He's intruding into my space now. What about the other neighbors who are sick and would just like some peace. I'm completely aggravated. Why hasn't anyone else said anything yet? It's not the first time it's been 2 years of hell.

Go to city hall and ask. Munky, we live in a subdivision outside of town. When a neighbor was parking all of his landscape business equipment in his driveway (4 trucks, plow blades, 2 trailers, flatbed, various and sundry other stuff) and after we all asked him numerous times to move his stuff, we went to the county attorney. It took many attempts and 3 county attorneys, but the guy no longer parks his crap where all can see. We took pictures, testimonials, and wrote emails and letters. If you can, you might want to get some video with sound of this jerk and his car, and enlist other neighbors to go in on this.

Good luck!

Go to city hall and ask. Munky, we live in a subdivision outside of town. When a neighbor was parking all of his landscape business equipment in his driveway (4 trucks, plow blades, 2 trailers, flatbed, various and sundry other stuff) and after we all asked him numerous times to move his stuff, we went to the county attorney. It took many attempts and 3 county attorneys, but the guy no longer parks his crap where all can see. We took pictures, testimonials, and wrote emails and letters. If you can, you might want to get some video with sound of this jerk and his car, and enlist other neighbors to go in on this.

Good luck!

I agree with Dawg. Contact the County Attorney, he will know what is allowed and not. By going to the Police/Sheriff, stations in person, you stop your neighbor from knowing who reported him. He only knows if he sees them come to your house to ask about your complaint. Let the department know you do not want to be contacted in person, only by phone and you are willing to go to them for discussion if need be.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I agree with Dawg. Contact the County Attorney, he will know what is allowed and not. By going to the Police/Sheriff, stations in person, you stop your neighbor from knowing who reported him. He only knows if he sees them come to your house to ask about your complaint. Let the department know you do not want to be contacted in person, only by phone and you are willing to go to them for discussion if need be.

Fantastic advice. It is for sure "disturbing the peace" violation. I too would go to the station so the neighbor doesn't know who filed the complaint. I hope things are quieter soon.

I agree with the above advice. That individual obviously has no respect for his neighbors. If you don't wish to be involved, that certainly is your right. But if you don't advise the authorities, who will? An anonymous phone call to the authorities in many locations constitutes probable cause. Under the described circumstances, I am surprised that authorities aren't already aware of his actions.

So when did Clorox join the trend down-sizing? I went to pick up a gallon of bleach at Walmart and all hey carry are 3-quart containers at about what I think is the same price!!!!

I'm SO tired of companies reducing the size of things just to keep the price "low". I mean come on we are not stupid.

So now it is 4 lb bags of sugar, 59 oz containers of OJ and don't even look at ice cream!!

Last edited:
So when did Clorox join the trend down-sizing? I went to pick up a gallon of bleach at Walmart and all hey carry are 3-quart containers at about what I think is the same price!!!!

I'm SO tired of companies reducing the size of things just to keep the price "low". I mean come on we are not stupid.

So now it is 4 lb bags of sugar, 59 oz containers of OJ and don't even look at ice cream!!

Seems like it is everywhere and includes everything.

Oh, but Clorox is now all "Ultra" which means, I think, "concentrated" and you are supposed to use less. Of course, I may just be Ultra-Dense...

Hoot said:
I agree with the above advice. That individual obviously has no respect for his neighbors. If you don't wish to be involved, that certainly is your right. But if you don't advise the authorities, who will? An anonymous phone call to the authorities in many locations constitutes probable cause. Under the described circumstances, I am surprised that authorities aren't already aware of his actions.

Unfortunately, around here, the sheriff and cops would come around regularily to discuss with and bang on the neighbors' door, and they refused to answer. We had a 3 year struggle, but we all kept at it, and it finally worked. We went through 2 male County Attorneys, but it took a woman to get the job done. She came out and took her own pictures, and was appalled that nothing had been done after 3 years.

Last edited:
DaveSoMD said:

I try really hard not to look at the ice cream.

It truly is disgusting we have to pay more for less.

Dawgluver said:

Good luck!

I don't really see how a small business owner parking his equipment in his driveway, on his property would affect you and your neighbors so much that you would go to that much trouble. My dad has an excavating business, and if they didn't live in the country like they do, there is no way my parents could afford to pay to keep his equipment somewhere else. My bf's brother gripes that his neighbor parks his semi truck (without a trailer) in his driveway, and I don't understand it. He doesn't come and go with it every day, it just sits there when he's not working. What's the big deal?? Noise laws make complete sense, or if it was basically a junk yard, but some trucks, trailers, and plow equipment, I would think you would consider it neighborly to look the other way and let the guy try to make an honest living without being hassled.

Skittle68 said:
I don't really see how a small business owner parking his equipment in his driveway, on his property would affect you and your neighbors so much that you would go to that much trouble. My dad has an excavating business, and if they didn't live in the country like they do, there is no way my parents could afford to pay to keep his equipment somewhere else. My bf's brother gripes that his neighbor parks his semi truck (without a trailer) in his driveway, and I don't understand it. He doesn't come and go with it every day, it just sits there when he's not working. What's the big deal?? Noise laws make complete sense, or if it was basically a junk yard, but some trucks, trailers, and plow equipment, I would think you would consider it neighborly to look the other way and let the guy try to make an honest living without being hassled.

You should have seen it, Skittle! It was awful! There were vehicles and stuff all over, it looked like a used car lot. We live in a subdivision, which is basically a little town. We're zoned residential, not business. It's illegal to have a business here, plus an eyesore to have 20 vehicles parked in your front lawn. It detracted from the property values. The owner also took out a number of our tree branches, as he couldn't back his monstrosities out of his driveway without backing into our driveway. One or two trucks, fine. The whole fleet, not fine.

Thank goodness we had a County Attorney who listened!

Last edited:
Dawgluver said:
We live in a subdivision, which is basically a little town. We're zoned residential, not business. It's illegal to have a business here, plus an eyesore to have 20 vehicles parked in your front lawn. It detracted from the property values. The owner also took out a number of our tree branches, as he couldn't back his monstrosities out of his driveway without backing into our driveway.

People back home in the sticks tell me that they would never live in a place where there were such restrictions. Well I appreciate having a nice looking street and my property values protected.

Plus if you want to live anywhere within a 1/2 hour of town and near the jobs, then you are going to have restrictions. I'm not a person that wants to live in the sticks anymore!

As I used to explain to people who would contact me about a dog being tied in the backyard, as long as it had food, water, and shelter the owners were not in violation of provincial laws or local by-laws. The same laws and by-laws that allowed me to have dogs, allowed those people to have dogs. Just because mine lived in the house, had their own van, and were fed a home-cooked diet designed by a canine nutritionist, did not change the fact that we both had the same "right" to have a dog. Unless he is violating a city ordinance or a state law, he has the same right to drive his car up and down the street as anyone else on the street has. Annoying? Yes. And, noise by-laws are there for a reason--because people have barking dogs, noisy cars, play loud music. Most municipalities here write "quiet hours" into the regulations, usually between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. So, if he's firing it up at 7:45 a.m. and the ordinance is 11-7, he is within his rights to do so. Just be glad he's not doing it at 3:00 a.m.! Re: the emissions--isn't that state regulated?

Dawgluver said:
You should have seen it, Skittle! There were vehicles and stuff all over, it looked like a used car lot. We live in a subdivision, which is basically a little town. We're zoned residential, not business. It's illegal to have a business here, plus an eyesore to have 20 vehicles parked in your front lawn. It detracted from the property values. The owner also took out a number of our tree branches, as he couldn't back his monstrosities out of his driveway without backing into our driveway. One or two trucks, fine. The whole fleet, not fine.

That definitely does sound pretty extreme. A junkyard/used car lot doesn't belong in a residential neighborhood. And I suppose if he wants to keep all that stuff on his lawn he should consider moving somewhere that would be appropriate.

My bf's brother and his neighbors annoy me tho. The poor guy with the semi isn't hurting anything.

Last edited:
That definitely does sound pretty extreme. A junkyard/used car lot doesn't belong in a residential neighborhood. And I suppose if he wants to keep all that stuff on his lawn he should consider moving somewhere that would be appropriate.

My bf's brother and his neighbors annoy me tho. The poor guy with the semi isn't hurting anything.
Sounds as if he's driving his "company" car home from work. I'm surprised people are upset about it.

You should have seen it, Skittle! It was awful! There were vehicles and stuff all over, it looked like a used car lot. We live in a subdivision, which is basically a little town. We're zoned residential, not business. It's illegal to have a business here, plus an eyesore to have 20 vehicles parked in your front lawn. It detracted from the property values. The owner also took out a number of our tree branches, as he couldn't back his monstrosities out of his driveway without backing into our driveway. One or two trucks, fine. The whole fleet, not fine.

I can understand completely. My daughter was able to buy her house because a friend who has a construction business was reported by the neighbors about the previous owner having even Jersey barriers in the driveway along with construction vehicles in a residential area. He was given 24 hours to remove it all or be hauled off to jail and the city would remove it and confiscate it for auction. He would also have to pay the city back for all expenses. He needed money FAST to find a place to put his stuff. My daughter and her husband had been saving for years to buy a house. And they had the money he needed immediately.

I would think the fact that the fumes from the exhaust would be in violation of environmental laws. And a health hazard. I know that here in Boston we also have noise pollution laws. It can't be more than 80 decibels. And vehicles without the proper exhaust, is considered noise pollution and well above 80 decibels.

I can understand completely. My daughter was able to buy her house because a friend who has a construction business was reported by the neighbors about the previous owner having even Jersey barriers in the driveway along with construction vehicles in a residential area. He was given 24 hours to remove it all or be hauled off to jail and the city would remove it and confiscate it for auction. He would also have to pay the city back for all expenses. He needed money FAST to find a place to put his stuff. My daughter and her husband had been saving for years to buy a house. And they had the money he needed immediately.

I would think the fact that the fumes from the exhaust would be in violation of environmental laws. And a health hazard. I know that here in Boston we also have noise pollution laws. It can't be more than 80 decibels. And vehicles without the proper exhaust, is considered noise pollution and well above 80 decibels.

I'm checking into my options here. My neighbors aren't willing to help. So fine, I'll get this settled my way. Bought a phone that has a camera. Logging dates and times. Where he's parking it revving it up. Right next to my living room.

As far as the extreme fumes making me sick from the carbon monoxide,I think he needs to find a new playground. The decibles are loud enough it hurts my chest from the rumbling. I can't even watch tv, talk on the phone when he's playing.

Chef Munky said:
I'm checking into my options here. My neighbors aren't willing to help. So fine, I'll get this settled my way. Bought a phone that has a camera. Logging dates and times. Where he's parking it revving it up. Right next to my living room.

As far as the extreme fumes making me sick from the carbon monoxide,I think he needs to find a new playground. The decibles are loud enough it hurts my chest from the rumbling. I can't even watch tv, talk on the phone when he's playing.

Munky, is there a way to record the sound too, along with time and date stamp? I don't understand why the neighbors aren't willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom