Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angry. My husband got a call from "medic alert" for me; by name. I just got back from Florida for a major medical problem with my father. I'm insane, just starting to unpack, and can't imagine how or why Mom would put me on an emergency list (when I left I hadn't managed to convince her to get a panic button. Called her and everything is fine there. Then called my local friends who are in distress (I know they DO have panic buttons) .... don't think they have me on the alert list, but you never know. No. Everything is OK there. My husband says these people asked for me by name, and I can't think of anyone. This should be illegal.

Addie said:
If I get my hands of Spike, I am definitely going to do him some serious harm.

We got to talking about the batteries in my scooter. He told me' "Batteries have a memory. If you don't let it run down, it will lose it power when your instruments say it is full. Because you keep charging it when it doesn't really need it. So I should let it run down." So I did!

Where did it die? At the very end of the property. I had to release the battery and push the dang thing home. Some of it uphill. It is a good thing it didn't happen when I went to the store. That would call for his death instead of just harm. From now on I will do it my way. Plug it in every night and charge it. My memory tells me to do that. :angel:

I don't really see this as Spikes fault, but I am happy that you are ok and that you were close to home when the battery ran down. Maybe next time you could do laps around the house when it is really low until it runs out. ;)

I don't really see this as Spikes fault, but I am happy that you are ok and that you were close to home when the battery ran down. Maybe next time you could do laps around the house when it is really low until it runs out. ;)

Spike has a way of turning every thing around to my not thinking things through.

"I didn't tell you to take it outside and run it down. You could do that in the building very easily. There are long halls here you could run up and down."

He's right. I didn't think it through. I hate it when he is right. Which is all the time. I often get flighty in my thinking. I see the fun side of everything. Not the end result. :angel:

But if it isn't a NiCd battery, there is no good reason to run it down.

Angry. My husband got a call from "medic alert" for me; by name. I just got back from Florida for a major medical problem with my father. I'm insane, just starting to unpack, and can't imagine how or why Mom would put me on an emergency list (when I left I hadn't managed to convince her to get a panic button. Called her and everything is fine there. Then called my local friends who are in distress (I know they DO have panic buttons) .... don't think they have me on the alert list, but you never know. No. Everything is OK there. My husband says these people asked for me by name, and I can't think of anyone. This should be illegal.
(((Hugs)))

They didn't say who it was about?!? I wouldn't just be :mad:, I would be :furious:.

(((Hugs)))

They didn't say who it was about?!? I wouldn't just be :mad:, I would be :furious:.

My youngest is the first one they call. He is the P.A. and my medical proxy. Spike is the second one on the list. I had to take my daughter off the list due to her illness. (For future reference he is now known as Poo. A childhood nickname.) Poo is called to let him know what is wrong and for any decisions to be made. Spike is the one to call the rest of the family. Poo calls him to let him know whether to call them or not. So far he has not had to call anyone except the time I had the gall bladder attack. They really thought they were going to lose me. My panic button is tied into ESP. My medical people in Winthrop. I have never had a problem with the hospital or the system in general. All the information is in their computer system. Poo's phone number is tied into his call button for emergencies at the hospital. So he gets the message immediately and answers. Spike had a bad habit of ignoring his phone calls. But since he knows he is listed as one of my proxys, he now answers all his calls.

Your problem is with the company that monitors the panic button. You need to get in touch with them to take you off the list and let them know why. I am sure if there is something really wrong, a family member will notify you. :angel:

So yestedaY I get call from Winthrop. "When can we expect you to come in for your mothly visit?"

"At the end of the month."

"Oh no. We need to see you tomorrow for blood work."

"Okay, I wil come in tomorrow."

So I get up this morning, take a shower, and go downstairs at 9:55. At 10:35 my phone rings. "When are you coming in for your monthly visit? "

Someone forgot to set up the transportation. And they wonder why I get upset. Well, it won't be today. Sometimes I can't help but wonder if all the aggravation is worth the benefts. Or am I getting too old and too short on patience? :angel:

In one of my stupid online classes, we are required to read every single post and response by every person. The teacher can see if we did. So I read, or at the very least skim through, every single one, and the teacher just posted under my discussions grade that I only read 58/143 posting. WHAT??! This must be some kind of computer error... I sent her an email, and if she doesn't fix this I'm going to be so mad... It's a medical class so you need 94% for an A, and I'm already at like 96% because of the horrible wording on her assignments. I got 50% on one assignment because the questions were so vague I was answering questions about injury log records, and she was talking about exposure report forms. I guess I'm supposed to be psychic, and know what she's talking about when she just asks about documentation. She said it wouldn't be fair to the other students if she gave me the points, even though my answers were right in relation to OSHA's sharps injury log :/ Why do some teachers seem to enjoy confusing us? Isn't the point to make sure we know the material??

Aww, and on a side note I just got an email from a different teacher thanking me for my patience throughout the semester: "You are a truly great student who needs to be challenged and your academic abilities will bring you far. Regrettably, a number of your classmates were not quite prepared for a college level course, so thank you for being patient."

Cool!!

Last edited:
Being that English is not my first language, it is even harder for me to understand when people talk in riddles. I hate that. Speak your mind, say what you mean, don't go around beating on a bush (or whatever the expression is). I feel your pain, Skittle.

That sucks Skittle. I hope she fixes it soon.

Maybe when she makes an assignment, you should just assume that she is being confusing and ask for a better explanation or more details. Don't make her feel that it is her fault, you know that wouldn't have good consequences.

Being that English is not my first language, it is even harder for me to understand when people talk in riddles. I hate that. Speak your mind, say what you mean, don't go around beating on a bush (or whatever the expression is). I feel your pain, Skittle.

Charlie, I love listening to folks who don't use English as their first language. Sometimes some of the American expressions they try to use are very laughable. They just come out funny. But it tells me one thing. They are paying attention and trying to learn our language. Like yourself. It is like listening to a child learning at an early age. Some of the ones my kids came out with would make anyone laugh. Mark and blue black (Black and blue marks) On purples (on purpose) the stairs climbed up and I fell down (self explanatory). It is a language of its own. I call it Childrenese. But it doesn't matter. We know what you mean and love hearing from you.

And it is "beat around the bush." :angel:

Last edited:
That sucks Skittle. I hope she fixes it soon.

Maybe when she makes an assignment, you should just assume that she is being confusing and ask for a better explanation or more details. Don't make her feel that it is her fault, you know that wouldn't have good consequences.

That's what I was thinking, but it's very possible that was the last assignment of the year. Hopefully the final exam will keep me above that 94% if the points from the discussion bring me down. There aren't very many assignments in this class, so if you miss any points it's a disaster.

Well, I'm kind of ticked because the same vacuum cleaner that I bought at Costco 6 weeks ago is $55 off this week. Had I known about this upcoming sale I would have waited to make the purchase.
I'm going there this evening to see if I can get a credit for the difference. Knowing Costco's excellent return policy I'm sure they'll honor the sale price and hand me over $55 plus tax. I'll hand that money right back at them by my purchasing some Prime cuts of meat....LOL...

Well, I'm kind of ticked because the same vacuum cleaner that I bought at Costco 6 weeks ago is $55 off this week. Had I known about this upcoming sale I would have waited to make the purchase.
I'm going there this evening to see if I can get a credit for the difference. Knowing Costco's excellent return policy I'm sure they'll honor the sale price and hand me over $55 plus tax. I'll hand that money right back at them by my purchasing some Prime cuts of meat....LOL...
I hope it works. I'll send some vibes for luck in your direction. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck RF, hope you get the credit :)

Danged wrist is inflamed again. It's bad enough that I can't use my right hand to drink tea. I'm starting the Voltaren tonight. I think I better talk to my doctor about this. I can see from this thread that the last time it happened was 2012-11-18.

This is making me rethink the idea of getting a powerful mixer. I figured I wouldn't use it enough, but I can't even make banana bread at the moment.

Hope your doctor can find out what is wrong Taxy

My father's first language was not English, neither were any of my girlfriend's mothers when I was a kid. At one point, as we were traveling, my husband asked me, "Is her mother French, too?" Yes. "your father is French-Canadian, and all your childhood friends had French war brides as mothers?" Yes. All of them. No, I had one friend in Germany who's mother was French Canadian.

If you find yourself in a place or position where you need to deal with people who are not native English speakers, or are hard of hearing, you need to learn to look that person in the face while talking, and use your hands and an expressive face. Part of my youth was spent in France and Germany, and we took trips to Quebec and Slovenia. The latter language is very, very difficult (since, as I've mentioned, I came from a French-speaking background, although I'm not anyway near good at it, my ear is more attuned to it). I guess I'm saying I didn't have an "ear" for Slovene. But you'd be amazed at what you can "get" from body language. Make eye contact. Do not mumble into your collar. Sounds obvious, but, in fact, people do. Bank tellers, checkout people at the grocery store. They don't look you in the face. Look the person you're dealing with in the face. Do you want to be understood? Then look that person in the face when you are talking to them.

Back
Top Bottom