Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read one time that when someone says something rude to you, you should act like you didn't hear them and ask them to repeat it. Maybe they will realize how mean they sound.
He knew. It was intentional. In fact he said it twice for emphasis. This was more than a silly slip of the tongue, it was more of a possible friendship altering thing.

So sorry that happened to you .. I've been on the receiving end of that statement before and it's not fun. Sometimes people think they are "helping" when they really have no clue the damage they've done. I hope things work out for you.

may I step into the venting room? Been a while since I've been in here....
So, I need every hour I can work, and so far my office has told us that both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are both unpaid work days (they only told us a couple weeks before it happened). So, in order to be paid I had to take 2 of my 4 sick days I have till the 31st (then they expire). I saved those to spend with my kids :(
Then today I am at work and they let me know they're closing down early and we'll not be paid past closing. The salaried management doesn't care that those of us hourly folk are depending on a paycheck :(

Do you have a Labour Relations board as we do? As far as I know, they can't make you work and not pay you. The closing early part is probably by the book (though many offices would give it to you since it is their choice to close). But you should get paid for time worked. I have had many employees and never did I make them use sick days or vacation to get paid properly.

That's just my two cents. You have every right to vent.

Do you have a Labour Relations board as we do? As far as I know, they can't make you work and not pay you. The closing early part is probably by the book (though many offices would give it to you since it is their choice to close). But you should get paid for time worked. I have had many employees and never did I make them use sick days or vacation to get paid properly.

That's just my two cents. You have every right to vent.

It doesn't sound like they were working til their normal close time, therefore not getting paid. Also not working on Christmas, and not getting paid time off. It really sucks, but sounds perfectly legal. I know how it feels to not get hours you desperately need. Sorry this is happening around Christmas when funds are probably even tighter :(

Not paying hourly workers for time worked is illegal, but it can be tough to report your boss for violations. OTOH, using sick days for other purposes is usually not allowed by company policy.

Sorry your holiday doesn't seem very merry, jkath :-(

Can't go to any board - want to keep the job!
They are only paying for hours worked today, but since they're closing half day, I'm losing out :(
The decision was made less than 2 hours ago, and we're closing in 20 minutes. Supposed to stay open 4 hours longer. I think the salaried people aren't aware of the difficulties in pay we depend on :(
Problem is I needed the full day's pay, as my car's needing to go into the shop this afternoon, and now that can't happen... so I'm crossing my fingers that my car will run all week :(

It doesn't sound like they were working til their normal close time, therefore not getting paid. Also not working on Christmas, and not getting paid time off. It really sucks, but sounds perfectly legal. I know how it feels to not get hours you desperately need. Sorry this is happening around Christmas when funds are probably even tighter :(

I understood all that and agree with you totally Skittle. Hourly wage does not have to be paid past an early closing, but I think you have to give notice on that in writing. As for the days worked and not paid, or allowing sick days to be used for that is just plain wrong in any country!

thanks - I'm glad to be back -
needed a lot of time to get life back to normal... or at least minus one cheating spouse and a lot of stress... lol.

I understood all that and agree with you totally Skittle. Hourly wage does not have to be paid past an early closing, but I think you have to give notice on that in writing.

I don't think that's true here - at least, I've never heard of that. Also, rules like that vary by state.

I don't think that's true here - at least, I've never heard of that. Also, rules like that vary by state.

Probably depends on company policy too. Where my sister works, if you show up for shift you are guaranteed a certain number of hours before they're allowed to send you home, but that's only because its union. Where I work, they have sent people home without even allowing them to clock in. I was thinking, "How kind of you to waste their time and gas getting here. A phone call would have been nice..."

In Quebec, you have to pay the employee for a minimum of three hours. The exception to that is if you asked the employee to come in for less than three hours and they agreed to it.

And (((hugs jkath))).

Last edited:
Thanks for the hug! :)
This is a very large company but they run it like mom and pop because our actual office only has 30 people in it. It just drives me bonkers... ;)

In Quebec, you have to pay the employee for a minimum of three hours. The exception to that is if you asked the employee to come in for less than three hours and they agreed to it.

And (((hugs jkath))).

When I worked for the US Gov't, there was a similar law. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I was compensated for my travel time because I was always called in to work weird hours because everyone knew I was single and needed the hours. I mean, who else would go into the Pentagon at 4 a.m. during a holiday and who also had a security clearance?

When does common sense kick in?

We have a situation in Massachusetts that is beyond belief. We have a long coastline. Most of it is sand dunes. Folks insists on building their homes on them. Why? I understand you want to have a view of the ocean. And it certainly is nice to step out your door in the summer and be right on the beach. But we get some godawful storms here. And they don't have to be Nor'easters. Right now up on Plum Island there are four homes about to go into the ocean. And the home owners want the town to save their homes. Why does the town allow folks to build on these dunes. Even I know that sand dunes shift every time there is a high tide. And that is every 12 hours. When there is a storm, the high tide erodes the dunes along with shifting the sands. The one thing the high tide doesn't do in bring back the sand that eroded away. It is even worse when there is a full moon. So now your deck is hanging and will fall off. One home had the cement block foundation washed right out from under the house and out to sea. Next it will be your kitchen or family room. Soon their homes will be in the ocean and all they will have left is the mortgage payments.

Last year it was down in Eastham on Cape Cod. The news cameras were there when a woman's home with all her possessions and memories went down to Davy Jones' locker. And her home wasn't the only one. One of the homes on Plum Island is in such a dangerous position that the owners are not allowed to go in and remove their possessions. It is their year round home. There goes all their possessions and memories.

So when does common sense kick in? When does the town say "No" to building on these dunes? When do people realize what a stupid idea it is to build there? The State is reluctant to give them permission to try and save their homes. They feel that "Let Mother Nature take her course." High tides and shifting sand dunes are all part of the ocean's natural activity. They wouldn't give any help or permission for the homes on the Cape last year. I hate to say it, but I don't think the taxpayers of the State and town should have to pay for their stupidity. :angel:

We have a situation in Massachusetts that is beyond belief. We have a long coastline. Most of it is sand dunes. Folks insists on building their homes on them. Why? I understand you want to have a view of the ocean. And it certainly is nice to step out your door in the summer and be right on the beach. But we get some godawful storms here. And they don't have to be Nor'easters. Right now up on Plum Island there are four homes about to go into the ocean. And the home owners want the town to save their homes. Why does the town allow folks to build on these dunes. Even I know that sand dunes shift every time there is a high tide. And that is every 12 hours. When there is a storm, the high tide erodes the dunes along with shifting the sands. The one thing the high tide doesn't do in bring back the sand that eroded away. It is even worse when there is a full moon. So now your deck is hanging and will fall off. One home had the cement block foundation washed right out from under the house and out to sea. Next it will be your kitchen or family room. Soon their homes will be in the ocean and all they will have left is the mortgage payments.

Last year it was down in Eastham on Cape Cod. The news cameras were there when a woman's home with all her possessions and memories went down to Davy Jones' locker. And her home wasn't the only one. One of the homes on Plum Island is in such a dangerous position that the owners are not allowed to go in and remove their possessions. It is their year round home. There goes all their possessions and memories.

So when does common sense kick in? When does the town say "No" to building on these dunes? When do people realize what a stupid idea it is to build there? The State is reluctant to give them permission to try and save their homes. They feel that "Let Mother Nature take her course." High tides and shifting sand dunes are all part of the ocean's natural activity. They wouldn't give any help or permission for the homes on the Cape last year. I hate to say it, but I don't think the taxpayers of the State and town should have to pay for their stupidity. :angel:

Plus, if current trends continue storms could be getting worse and worse. Definitely not a good time to live on a sand dune. Only time will tell, but personally I believe the prediction that the jet streams are changing, resulting in bigger storms.

Someone tried to use my credit card account again! This is the second time in a few months that this has happened. Now I have to get a new card again. :mad:
Thank goodness there is fraud protection, but this makes me so mad that people are so dishonest and awful. :mad::mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom