Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "City" in which I live does not allow backyard hens. I can have hens because I am zoned AG2 and rural. There was a feature on the news the other night about a couple who had 3 laying hens, they have had them for 3 years. They are also zoned rural, but not AG2 or AG1. By-law showed up and gave them until Friday to get rid of them or By-law would seize them (and dispose of them because the HS does not have accommodations for hens). I contacted the reporter, asked him to pass my contact info on so that I could offer "witness protection" services to these three hens while the folks duke it out in by-law court. I got a call from the folks! The girls may be coming here tomorrow or Friday. Irony is that before amalgamation, backyard chickens were allowed where these folks live in the City. They are so devastated that they have to get rid of their girls. Grrr...I hate politics! I hate people who complain about things that are not infringing on their enjoyment of their property...If I lived in the US, I probably would fit in well in NH.

Move to Vermont. They believe very strongly in personal freedom. Most of Vermont is rural and farm land. There is no Big Box store in VT. They would infringe on the rights of the little businessman. Even Walmart gave up the fight to get a store in. Now if they could just keep out those folks from NYC who want to change everything they don't like about Vermont. :angel:

I think what you are doing is wonderful!!!

The slaughtering makes no sense to me. Some folks are just plain "Stupid!" Knowing CWS as we do, what else could she do but to take them in. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start rescuing chickens and finding homes for them like she does her St. Bernards. She has a heart as big as her St. Bernards. I wonder if she has a special guest coop for them. :angel:

The slaughtering makes no sense to me. Some folks are just plain "Stupid!" Knowing CWS as we do, what else could she do but to take them in. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start rescuing chickens and finding homes for them like she does her St. Bernards. She has a heart as big as her St. Bernards. I wonder if she has a special guest coop for them. :angel:
You pegged me, Addie. I set up a special coop for these girls. Still waiting to see if they arrive. It is up to the owners if they want to entrust them into my care or that of the HS (personally, I think it is a no-brainer). Y'all know that I think everyone should have chickens at least once and municipalities that outlaw backyard chickens are not helping--with 1 out of 5 children going to bed hungry in North America, it makes no sense to restrict a family's means of producing a source of food.

I can see banning roosters because they are just obnoxious in a suburban setting, but a few chickens isn't going to hurt anything. I doubt that the neighbors would even notice.

We have a good friend that had chickens in her suburban back yard, that's where she cut teeth so to speak on chicken rearing. Now she has a farm and lots more chickens. I think that this is what she is cut out for. She is raising some, from chicks and has what it takes to "cull" the aggressive nuisance roosters for the freezer... I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for that. It surprises me because she didn't grow up on a farm. When the previous owners left, they abandoned about 20 chickens. She was able to tame quite a few of them to live in a coop again, and the ones that couldn't be, well, you know!

It's interesting how she can care so much for them, but in the end, know that they are a source of food and not pets.

I can see banning roosters because they are just obnoxious in a suburban setting, but a few chickens isn't going to hurt anything. I doubt that the neighbors would even notice.

We have a good friend that had chickens in her suburban back yard, that's where she cut teeth so to speak on chicken rearing. Now she has a farm and lots more chickens. I think that this is what she is cut out for. She is raising some, from chicks and has what it takes to "cull" the aggressive nuisance roosters for the freezer... I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for that. It surprises me because she didn't grow up on a farm. When the previous owners left, they abandoned about 20 chickens. She was able to tame quite a few of them to live in a coop again, and the ones that couldn't be, well, you know!

It's interesting how she can care so much for them, but in the end, know that they are a source of food and not pets.
Chickens are fairly easy to "tame." They will follow the person who offers them food. They just don't have great memories. I think it is 50 x of one "click" to train a chicken re: clicker training and 6 x to train a dog. I never thought I'd like having birds, but I love my hens. They entertain me.

I recently saw a documentary from a vegan, "Vegucated," that exposed several regular old carnivores to the practices of commercial/industrial animal 'farmers.' I have cut back on my meat-buying and meat-eating habits for a year or so now, and was aware for the most part of what happens down on the big farms now. I wasn't prepared to see the little chicks come tumbling down the sorter, potential laying hens down this chute, little roosters-to-be down that one. Don't need all those males. I presume they turn the unwanted fowl into pet food. I've bought a lot of dog and cat food over the years and check for protein content in them -- chicken meal figures greatly in the contents.

I guess I just don't want to think about the reality of where the incredible amount of pet-food protein comes from. So many cans of wet food - I'm afraid to do the math.

And baby cows. And lambs. And little pigs whence come the baby back ribs and later the bacon I adore. :( Yes, it bothers me, but I don't go vegan. Too many years of indulgence.

And speaking of chickens, I just read through the "Egg Question" thread. It is full of interesting facts and comments, about both egg and hen. It's very complete - probably all we ever need to know. CWS sure knows her stuff.

You pegged me, Addie. I set up a special coop for these girls. Still waiting to see if they arrive. It is up to the owners if they want to entrust them into my care or that of the HS (personally, I think it is a no-brainer). Y'all know that I think everyone should have chickens at least once and municipalities that outlaw backyard chickens are not helping--with 1 out of 5 children going to bed hungry in North America, it makes no sense to restrict a family's means of producing a source of food.

The Boston Food Bank gets mis shapenbed eggs from some of the farms in surrounding rural areas and are given to families. The carton could contain anything from pullets to double yolkers. But considering they are free to the food bank and then the recipients, not a bad deal. :angel:

I recently saw a documentary from a vegan, "Vegucated," that exposed several regular old carnivores to the practices of commercial/industrial animal 'farmers.' I have cut back on my meat-buying and meat-eating habits for a year or so now, and was aware for the most part of what happens down on the big farms now. I wasn't prepared to see the little chicks come tumbling down the sorter, potential laying hens down this chute, little roosters-to-be down that one. Don't need all those males. I presume they turn the unwanted fowl into pet food. I've bought a lot of dog and cat food over the years and check for protein content in them -- chicken meal figures greatly in the contents.

I guess I just don't want to think about the reality of where the incredible amount of pet-food protein comes from. So many cans of wet food - I'm afraid to do the math.

And baby cows. And lambs. And little pigs whence come the baby back ribs and later the bacon I adore. :( Yes, it bothers me, but I don't go vegan. Too many years of indulgence.

The old saying "Everybody loves sausage. But no one wants to see it being made!" comes to mind! :ermm::ohmy::(

Tinlizzie, the Romans figured out what to do with "unwanted" male chicks. Castrate them and they grow up to be big, tender, delicious capons.

What else could I offer? I think it is WRONG that these girls would be slaughtered. So they can come here while their owners duke it out in by-law court.

When I lived in Everett, a couple of towns over from where I live now, and a crowded blue collar community, the people in back of me had chickens. No one complained until one of their chickens started to crow. The police were called, the rooster went into the pot, and they continued to raise their chickens. And the law is very clear. No farm animals can be kept within the city limits. But when it doesn't bother the neighbors, looking the other way is practiced by everyone. :angel:

I am still so fricking mad after 2 (or is it 3 days now?). Somebody broke into my e-mail account and sent the bunch of spam, fine I can live with that, I’ll just apologies to everybody on my address list. But these bastards wiped my "In Box" clean and my "Contact" list clean. G-d knows what else they’ve done. They added a different e-mail for the notifications, so if I change something they will get an e-mail. I had a whole bunch of important e-mails I was keeping. Darn, darn, darn. I am so mad; did I tell you how mad I am right now?

I am still so fricking mad after 2 (or is it 3 days now?). Somebody broke into my e-mail account and sent the bunch of spam, fine I can live with that, I’ll just apologies to everybody on my address list. But these bastards wiped my "In Box" clean and my "Contact" list clean. G-d knows what else they’ve done. They added a different e-mail for the notifications, so if I change something they will get an e-mail. I had a whole bunch of important e-mails I was keeping. Darn, darn, darn. I am so mad; did I tell you how mad I am right now?

Oh no .. well that's just awful. Too bad some people will never grow up. So sorry that happened to you.

Here is a suggestion for the future. I forward copies of things I want to keep to my web based email account. That way I have double and a back up in case my hard drive crashes - which it has in the past. I was so glad I had done that because I still had what I needed. And of course the other suggestion would be to burn it to a cd.

Good luck and hopefully they didn't do anything else bad to you.

You know what is even more annoing? Try to delete yahoo mail account. Just go ahead and try, see how long it's going to take to find how to do that. There is no easy link on yahoo help page, you have to dig far and deep. I think I am just as mad at Yahoo as I am at those darn (much stronger word was used in my mind) heckers.

You know what is even more annoing? Try to delete yahoo mail account. Just go ahead and try, see how long it's going to take to find how to do that. There is no easy link on yahoo help page, you have to dig far and deep. I think I am just as mad at Yahoo as I am at those darn (much stronger word was used in my mind) heckers.
Is there technical support that you can contact? If so, there's a tiny chance they can restore your emails and contact list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom