Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I submit for your review the following "conversation":

Person1(P1) - I'm going to go over there early to make sure the system connects to their network. I can't remember if I've ever connected to it before.

Person2(P2) - I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - OK, well I'm still going to go over early because I can't remember for sure.

P2 - Weeelll, I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - Well, I don't remember and I want to be sure.

P2 - Well I'm just telling you I think you did.

P1 - That's fine, you already said that. I get it. But this is for work so I'm just telling you I want to be sure.

P2 - Well, I'm pretty sure you did.

Would you consider this an argument?

P1 has far greater self-control than I do. I would have smacked P2 right at the end of the emboldened type. :ROFLMAO: P1 has incredible self-control. Is "well-played" appropriate here p.a.g.? :LOL:

I'm P1 and DH is P2. He didn't feel this was arguing, that he was just informing me of something. So then we argued about whether or not it was arguing. He didn't think we were arguing then either, just discussing differing view points. He didn't feel stressed or aggravated by it so he didn't consider it an argument. It ended when I pointed out that it was aggravating me and did he really think it was worth continuing to inform me of something if it was obvious it was aggravating me? He agreed that in this instance it wasn't.

Unfortunately I've been stressed lately, and I know there have been times when I've been too easily aggravated or considered something confrontational when it wasn't. I wasn't sure if this was one of those times so I needed a baseline. I was worried that I was being unreasonable. Thanks to everyone who answered. Sometimes it's really nice to have outside perspective.

I've been in this position before and still am from time to time. I have learned when SO has a thought in her mind, there is no point telling her otherwise. I just shut up and let it happen. While that is sometimes difficult, I've avoided conflict and earned the right to rub it in that I was right.

I'm P1 and DH is P2. He didn't feel this was arguing, that he was just informing me of something. So then we argued about whether or not it was arguing. He didn't think we were arguing then either, just discussing differing view points. He didn't feel stressed or aggravated by it so he didn't consider it an argument. It ended when I pointed out that it was aggravating me and did he really think it was worth continuing to inform me of something if it was obvious it was aggravating me? He agreed that in this instance it wasn't.

Unfortunately I've been stressed lately, and I know there have been times when I've been too easily aggravated or considered something confrontational when it wasn't. I wasn't sure if this was one of those times so I needed a baseline. I was worried that I was being unreasonable. Thanks to everyone who answered. Sometimes it's really nice to have outside perspective.

Sometimes it is vital to get an outside perspective or you can drive yourself insane trying to figure out if you were being reasonable or not. In this instance, IMO, you had every right to want to be sure. What's that old saying? "Fail to prepare - prepare to fail" or something along those lines.

Shrek argues like that, too and has no clue why I am aggravated and remain aggravated. I tend to dwell on things...especially if I am upset.

The name of the actor in a movie is not earth shattering...

But when it comes to work, the job depends on dependability and compulsiveness to do the job right. Worrying about the job, it's better to follow your instincts and double check yourself if that's what is needed.

But when it comes to work, the job depends on dependability and compulsiveness to do the job right. Worrying about the job, it's better to follow your instincts and double check yourself if that's what is needed.
This

Absolutely! :punk:

Jerk

I'm still a bit ticked off at some guy who came knocking at my door this morning.

It was the usual morning get hubby's breakfast/lunch cooked packed ready to go. I had just finished all that, cleaned up the kitchen. When this guy laid in on my door bell. One ring would have sufficed buy noooo. Mr Jerk had to ring it 3 times in succession.

I looked out the curtain to see who it was. Didn't recognize the person the window was open. Hearing was enough I thought.

I asked who is it? Seeing him, but not opening the door.
He looks at me through the window and made the comment. Oh, I see you. Were talking through the window ok, well uh anyways. Pulls out some kind of laminated long slip of paper.

I asked him what was it that he wanted to talk to me about? Still not opening the door. He commented,ok, so your not going to open the door to talk to me? I said no I'm not.
He got irritated. Never told me what he wanted. Stormed off stopped stomped his foot yelled RUDE. VERY RUDE!! His body was getting pumped up.

I thought it was a Jehovah witness. Thought better of it because they never go out alone. Not here anyways that I've seen.

My husband asked who was at the door ringing it like that. I told him. What that guy said. What I did.Gave him a very clear description of that man. He wasn't impressed at all.
He told me that guy was up to no good. That I was right for standing my ground un intimidated and not opening that door.

That guy really ticked me off. It's my house if I don't know you that door stays locked, not opened. State your business it's not that hard. Show some kind of ID. What did he expect anyways? Easy prey?
Better to play it safe than be sorry later.
Don't get testy because I ask questions. Jerk!

That was a real jerk. I often holler out the window. People usually just tell me what they want. Then I open the door or not.

I don't even bother going to the door!

I live in a security building and people who know me call before they come over.

When I got old I stopped feeling the need to be polite to strangers that call me on the telephone or ring my doorbell! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm still a bit ticked off at some guy who came knocking at my door this morning.

It was the usual morning get hubby's breakfast/lunch cooked packed ready to go. I had just finished all that, cleaned up the kitchen. When this guy laid in on my door bell. One ring would have sufficed buy noooo. Mr Jerk had to ring it 3 times in succession.

I looked out the curtain to see who it was. Didn't recognize the person the window was open. Hearing was enough I thought.

I asked who is it? Seeing him, but not opening the door.
He looks at me through the window and made the comment. Oh, I see you. Were talking through the window ok, well uh anyways. Pulls out some kind of laminated long slip of paper.

I asked him what was it that he wanted to talk to me about? Still not opening the door. He commented,ok, so your not going to open the door to talk to me? I said no I'm not.
He got irritated. Never told me what he wanted. Stormed off stopped stomped his foot yelled RUDE. VERY RUDE!! His body was getting pumped up.

I thought it was a Jehovah witness. Thought better of it because they never go out alone. Not here anyways that I've seen.

My husband asked who was at the door ringing it like that. I told him. What that guy said. What I did.Gave him a very clear description of that man. He wasn't impressed at all.
He told me that guy was up to no good. That I was right for standing my ground un intimidated and not opening that door.

That guy really ticked me off. It's my house if I don't know you that door stays locked, not opened. State your business it's not that hard. Show some kind of ID. What did he expect anyways? Easy prey?
Better to play it safe than be sorry later.
Don't get testy because I ask questions. Jerk!
I must say that I would have done the same as you. My attitude is that it's my front door, I paid for it and I'll decide who I open it to.

Mind you it sometimes backfires. Where I used to live we got a lot of canvassers, collectors and Avon ladies, etc. A few years back there was a knock on the door. I ignored it. Another knock. I ignored it again. Yet another knock. I went to the door, threw it open and announced crossly "I haven't, I can't and I won't" to the lady on the doorstep. She laughed, waved her ID badge and said "You have to. It's the electoral roll" (In the UK you don't have to vote but you do have to be registered on the list of electors for your area) "Collapse of stout party" (i.e. me!)

Please may I vent about bl**dy cyclists?

Sunny weekends and summer evenings never fail to bring all the idiot cyclists out. Why is it that the flashier the bike, especially when the rider is dressed from head to foot in an outfit that matches the bike, the more he (because it usually is a "he") appears to have a total absence of brains?

The road up to the stables is the old main road from Stockport to Sheffield so we aren't talking country lanes here. It is a very dangerous and busy road. Four miles of one lane in each direction and a 40mph limit, with blind bends every few yards made worse by very high hedges and trees, double white lines almost all the way, chicane-type bends with adverse cambers and with a lot of heavy vehicles as well as cars, motorbikes and cyclists. Regular and frequently fatal accidents on it and when I was learning to drive Dad used to make me drive along it because I was frightened of it. A friend who is a copper says that even the police drivers don't like it.

There are the cyclists who deliberately hog the middle of the road so you can't pass in the few places it is safe to do so, the ones who wobble about all over the shop and follow a zig-zag course despite it not being a hilly road, the ones who hunt in packs - 5 rows of 3 abreast one evening recently, and the one the other day, who pottered along the double white line at 10mph holding up a stream of traffic behind him and me. Then, when we reached a safe overtaking place and I pulled out to overtake, he actually started racing me so I couldn't get past in the space available!

And not one of them wears hi-viz clothing. It's almost as if they think that a helmet magically renders them invincible!

This morning there was a chap in overalls (and a hi-viz waistcoat) pedalling along at a reasonable speed, observing the Highway Code, obviously on his way to work and one of these idiots ran him into the kerb and nearly knocked him off his bike and I am so absolutely certain that he did it on purpose that I'd be prepared to stand up in court and say so!

Of course when one of them gets killed because of his own stupid behaviour it'll be the poor motorist who gets it in the neck! I'm more and more convinced that cyclists should have to pass a test, be licenced and carry a prominent registration number on their bikes.

Last edited:
I understand your anger. Cyclists can act very entitled when on the road. Motorists are warned to share the road with cyclists but it works both ways.

I agree. Drives me crazy when cyclists ride 8 abreast on our winding road, and there's no way to pass. I even called the sheriff to find out if that's legal, he just said cyclists have the same right as cars do. I asked him if cars have the right to drive 8 in a row across the road, and he just repeated what he'd said.

Last edited:
I agree. Drives me crazy when cyclists ride 8 abreast on our winding road, and there's no way to pass. I even called the sheriff to find out if that's legal, he just said cyclists have the same right as cars do. I asked him if cars have the right to drive 8 in a row across the road, and he just repeated what he'd said.
Motorcyclists aren't allowed to drive even 2 abreast.

I'm P1 and DH is P2....
I figured as much. ;)

I've been in this position before and still am from time to time. I have learned when SO has a thought in her mind, there is no point telling her otherwise. I just shut up and let it happen. While that is sometimes difficult, I've avoided conflict and earned the right to rub it in that I was right.

Shrek argues like that, too and has no clue why I am aggravated and remain aggravated. I tend to dwell on things...especially if I am upset.

On our wedding day ages ago my cousin Tony gave Himself priceless advice. Something like "if the two of you are arguing something and it goes five minutes, just give in. At that point you have no chance." Plus, if we're trying to get you guys to do something Tony said you should "save the energy to do whatever it is you were trying to get out of!" :LOL:

I'm still a bit ticked off at some guy who came knocking at my door this morning......Jerk!
What a Rude Dude he was. Probably working with some sort of work-service program to earn points...which, from what I've read, the door-knockers never reap the benefits.

....When I got old I stopped feeling the need to be polite to strangers that call me on the telephone or ring my doorbell! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

smiley20.gif
Got that right! You go Girl.
smiley20.gif

Back
Top Bottom