Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty, pretty, Mac!

You will survive! You tried so hard to make this a lovely Christmas, and you did! You would make a great woman too!

Thanks DL..I take that has high praise.

I tell you what....there ain't a gosh darn thing (I'm not taking the Lord's name in vain for Addie) wrong with a man that knows how to cook, and knows how to properly entertain guests. I'm actually thinking of writing a cook book for 20-something bachelors to teach them how to cook and entertain for their ladies.

Thanks DL..I take that has high praise.

I tell you what....there ain't a gosh darn thing (I'm not taking the Lord's name in vain for Addie) wrong with a man that knows how to cook, and knows how to properly entertain guests. I'm actually thinking of writing a cook book for 20-something bachelors to teach them how to cook and entertain for their ladies.

My dad has done most of the cooking throughout my parents' marriage. He enjoys it and he also enjoys setting a nice table and making everything look good. He's on here as Chief Longwind of the North. He had all of us kids in the kitchen from the time we were really young learning the basics of cooking.

Congrats Mac, it sounds like you were as put-together as your table in spite of the challenges your sister's condition put in front of you. Well done!

Addie, it dawned on me that was what you meant after I hit "send". I was still a bit tightly wound up from the whole website snafu. Didn't mean to snap. ;-)

Last Wednesday my girlfriend in Atlanta sent me a package Overnight Express via UPS. Here it is Monday noon and I still don't have it. My UPS man usually comes around 5 p.m. I hope it comes today, or UPS is going to have to listen to her and return some money. Overnight Express can cost a pretty penny. I know it is Christmas, and they are probably swamped. But they shouldn't be taking the money for it if they can't deliver the service. :angel:

Addie, tell her to be sure and complain. A few years back our daughter sent our Christmas gifts USPS overnight. It didn't arrive for two days. They refunded the difference between overnight and standard shipping. UPS probably does the same thing.

Congrats Mac, it sounds like you were as put-together as your table in spite of the challenges your sister's condition put in front of you. Well done!

Addie, it dawned on me that was what you meant after I hit "send". I was still a bit tightly wound up from the whole website snafu. Didn't mean to snap. ;-)

It's okay CG. Sometimes it is difficult to express one's attitude in the proper manner it was meant with just the printed word and in lacking facial expressions. Perhaps someday there will be forum in real time, other than Skype whereby we can exchange conversations with facial expressions. I am one of those folks who can find humor in the most serious situation. (Don't ever take me to a funeral.) You will notice that when a member will post a most difficult situation for them, (illness, pain, etc.) I don't respond only because I manage to find the humor in their problem. It would be my first and most inappropriate response. So I keep my mouth shut and fingers still.

For the past couple of weeks since this snafu came to light over the medical coverage, I had visions of me walking around a large room saying to folks sitting at computers, "Coffee, tea, Valium? Coffee, tea, suicide kit? Coffee, tea, murder kit?"

I am glad you found a solution to your problem. And I do hope our government gets this mess straightened out. I am just one of the wacky folks who refuse to get depressed or very upset with life. :angel:

Addie, tell her to be sure and complain. A few years back our daughter sent our Christmas gifts USPS overnight. It didn't arrive for two days. They refunded the difference between overnight and standard shipping. UPS probably does the same thing.

Oh she will. She is not one to let something like this slide. But I still got the package in time for Christmas.

I hope you are enjoying your time with your children. I was watching the weather for Ohio and the driving conditions. It looked like you were going to be right on the edge of all the problems. One for your safe trip back. :angel: Take care coming back. :angel:

I am sort of upset with myself. I got gussied up and went to my daughter's home for dinner. Needless to say, I woke up a bit late and didn't take my morning pills. So after about 30 minutes there, I began to feel not so great. I ate just enough food to be polite and opened my presents. Years ago my daughter found a large stocking with a picture of Maxine on it. My heroine! I knew what all my presents were since I ordered all of them and had them sent to my daughter's house. No surprise there. But I never know what she is going to fill my stocking with. I wasn't disappointed.

By now I was really wanting to get home and take my pills. And everyone could see it on my face. I went into my daughter's room and laid down for a bit. Didn't help. When I came back out, everyone was eating the dessert. The chocolate chip cheesecake completely disappeared. All that was left was the plate I brought it on. And the wreath cake was half gone also. What a bunch of piggies I have for relatives. I really didn't want to spoil the day for the others, so I kept my mouth shut. But Poo could see how ill I was becoming and asked me if I wanted them to call an ambulance. I told him if I could just get home and take my pills, I would feel much better in 30 minutes or less. So they packed up my stuff and my SIL brought me home. As soon as I got in the door I poured a tall glass of milk and took my pills. Sure enough in 30 minutes, I was fine. But very tired. So I fell asleep and just woke up a short time ago.

If only I had taken the five minutes before I left my home to take my pills, I could have stayed and I would have enjoyed the meal. My backside is sore from kicking myself! :angel:

Addie, I uses a little pill box to take my meds with me anytime I leave the house. Sometimes we are out longer than expected, and I never have to worry about not having meds with me. I even carry my husband's BP pill with me because he never remembers to.

Addie, I uses a little pill box to take my meds with me anytime I leave the house. Sometimes we are out longer than expected, and I never have to worry about not having meds with me. I even carry my husband's BP pill with me because he never remembers to.

+1. I never leave the house without it. In fact, even when I'm not planning to leave the house, I keep the pill box in my purse, so I always know where it is.

Remember the little tin containers that used to hold about eight aspirins? You used to have to press the two corners on the top of the tin in order to open it. Well, I have one of those tins and I keep two Vicodin in it and it is always with me. The only trouble is I forget I have them and never think to take them. Even if I had taken just one of them yesterday, I would felt a little better. But I never thought of them. :angel:

Remember the little tin containers that used to hold about eight aspirins? You used to have to press the two corners on the top of the tin in order to open it. Well, I have one of those tins and I keep two Vicodin in it and it is always with me. The only trouble is I forget I have them and never think to take them. Even if I had taken just one of them yesterday, I would felt a little better. But I never thought of them. :angel:

Haven't you said your daughter lives right around the corner from you? You could have sent one of your sons to your apartment to get the pills. This is your family. You're not ruining the day for them by taking care of yourself. But you can ruin it by not taking care of yourself and ending up with worse problems. Sheesh, Addie, someone needs to shake some sense into you! ;)

Haven't you said your daughter lives right around the corner from you? You could have sent one of your sons to your apartment to get the pills. This is your family. You're not ruining the day for them by taking care of yourself. But you can ruin it by not taking care of yourself and ending up with worse problems. Sheesh, Addie, someone needs to shake some sense into you! ;)

I know. And yes she lives just 30 seconds away. I was feeling so lousy at her house, I almost asked them to call 911 for me. But Poo was there and checked me out. I quietly told him why I was feeling so bad, and he is the one that insisted I get back home so I could get my meds into me. I just don't share my problems with my kids. Specially with my daughter. She is fighting her own battle right now. I would rather the family concentrate on her than me. I know what I can do to make myself feel better. She can't do anything.

Yesterday she asked if when she comes off chemo, will she go back to feeling as good as she did in the beginning. Her husband is a survivor of cancer. Both Poo and her husband in unison gave her a solid "No!" Her face just fell. It almost broke my heart. She is always tired. Finds it hard to finish just one chore. Poo doesn't think she will see Christmas next year. But he hasn't told anyone that except me. And I will never mention it. She works 20 hours a week. Counting driving time it is 28 hours. She takes off for her chemo week, and half of the following week to recover from the effects. This month for the first time, she is having chemo twice in one month.

Poo and I both know what the prognosis is for her. Only five percent survive the type of cancer she has. Other than the surgery to remove most of the tumor on her brain, then the reduction of the brain swelling from the surgery, there has been no improvement in her condition. She has been on chemo now for more than a year. And still has a long way to go, if she makes it. :angel:

Last edited:
I know. And yes she lives just 30 seconds away. I was feeling so lousy at her house, I almost asked them to call 911 for me. But Poo was there and checked me out. I quietly told him why I was feeling so bad, and he is the one that insisted I get back home so I could get my meds into me. I just don't share my problems with my kids. Specially with my daughter. She is fighting her own battle right now. I would rather the family concentrate on her than me. I know what I can do to make myself feel better. She can't do anything.

<borrowing PF's nurse hat>When you don't stay ahead of the pain, it knocks you two steps back and makes it harder to recover. I understand that you don't want to bother your family with your troubles, but you can't hide being taken away from a family party in an ambulance ;)</borrowing PF's nurse hat>

Borrowing the nurse hat for a minute:
Preemptive pain management works for surgery. It will also work for the chronic pain people may have.

But you have to take it!:ROFLMAO:

I just had another thought: tell Poo and Spike that you carry some Vicodin with you but you forget about it. That way, if you're out together and you need it, they will hopefully remember that you have it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom