Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I had an appointment with the surgeon for a consultation. When I left the hospital in early December, they sent to Winthrop notice of the appointment they made for me with the surgeon. It is up to Winthrop to make arrangements for my transportation. So yesterday's appointment never happened. When I called Winthrop, they informed me that they never got the notice. El Toro Poo Poo! They just forgot to enter the date into their program for patients appointments. Not the first time this has happened. Last week I had an appointment with my cardiologist at 4 p.m. They send my transportation at noon time. I am only ten minutes away from where my appointments are. I am not leaving at noon for a 4 p.m. appointment. So I refused to go. I know that I have always called to verify the appointments with Winthrop. Dr., time, and building. I do it for every appointment, because I know how they are. Transportation could not come back at three as they had other patients to pick up and deliver. Understood.

Once a month I go Winthrop to get my vitals checked and recorded into their computer. About a 15 minute ride from my house. Only because of all the one way streets. Pickup time was 9 a.m. Here it is 10:15 and I am still sitting here all dressed. I am not going to call them. Either the nurse who called me and set up the appointment forgot to let the front desk know, or the secretary at the front desk again forgot to enter it into the computer. And I am not going to call them. Let them figure it out. The nurse will realize something is wrong when she looks at the board and I am the only one who hasn't been checked off yet. And I get to stay inside where it is nice and warm. I am so sick of this crap.

I could file a formal complaint against the secretaries at the front desk. It is their responsibility to make all transportation arrangements. I really like these two women. One is sort of ditzy. The other one has her head on straight. But they are so nice. You just can't imagine anyone not liking them. The only real inconvenience to me is that I had to get dressed instead of staying in my nightgown all day. That is not a bad thing. As for the waiting, I sit here at the computer or watch TV while I drink a cup of coffee. And to tell the truth, I hate going to Winthrop just for my vitals. I am there for just 15 minutes. How long can it take for your temp, weight, oxygen level and BP? Then I am out of there and on my way back home. It is when I have to go for my six month checkup that I am there for all day.

I just wish I could make my own appointments and transportation arrangements. But due to contractual arrangements with Winthrop, I can't. I can make the appointment, but not transportation. GRRRR! :angel:

If I do decide, I will want to wait until spring. Right now is a bad time for it. I have a lot on my plate. :angel:

Well, just make sure that what's on your plate isn't greasy! I have heard that a lot of people have gall stones but they don't cause a problem until they start moving and end up in the duct. My husband had a bad gall bladder attack after a trip to the chiropractor. I guess all that twisting and turning got his gall stones moving. He was admitted to the hospital and they wanted to go in with something and dissolve the stones, but his pain went away and he said "Let me out of here!" and hasn't had a pain since. 20 years ago.

Well, just make sure that what's on your plate isn't greasy! I have heard that a lot of people have gall stones but they don't cause a problem until they start moving and end up in the duct. My husband had a bad gall bladder attack after a trip to the chiropractor. I guess all that twisting and turning got his gall stones moving. He was admitted to the hospital and they wanted to go in with something and dissolve the stones, but his pain went away and he said "Let me out of here!" and hasn't had a pain since. 20 years ago.

Believe me, my frying pan is gathering dust and getting rusty. The odd thing is I have no desire for fried foods. I bought a pound of bacon and I will never get a piece of it. The Pirate will finish it off. And if not him, then Spike.

My two attacks were caused by grease. The first time it was Chinese food. When you think about it they stir fry all their foods. The second time was when I had a pizza with double cheese, and pools of olive oil floating on top mixed with all the oil from the cheese. Plus I had been munching on chunks of Mortadella all day that has pieces of lard throughout. No wonder I had an attack. :angel:

They can't fix it if they don't know it's broken, Addie.

So true. Sooner or later I have to address this problem. I was thinking of having a private talk with the ditzy one since she is the one mostly responsible for transportation arrangements. That front desk is a job I would never do. Constant interruptions, people coming and going, keeping your eye on the door to make sure no one escapes, etc. She can be in the middle of something else when I call in an appointment, then before she can get it into the computer, someone comes up to her window, someone wants to be buzzed out, someone else walks into her area and says something to her, and before you know it, she has forgotten about the appointment. I understand how this happens. That is one reason I don't want to file a formal report against her. I would rather handle it myself and see if it improves. She may not even be aware of how often this happens.

Whereas, the other woman in the office works on one task at a time and has no problem asking someone to please wait. She will put someone on hold instead of trying to talk to two people at the same time like ditzy does. She totally has her act together. :angel:

Sounds like they need someone who just runs the window. Again, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. Maybe they need three people to do the front counter work. The person's making appointments and arranging transportation don't need the other distractions.

Sounds like they need someone who just runs the window. Again, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. Maybe they need three people to do the front counter work. The person's making appointments and arranging transportation don't need the other distractions.

I just called and the sensible one answered. I asked her to look to see if I was scheduled for this month at any time. Nope! So it is not their fault this time. The nurse that called me to let me know when they wanted me to come in again forgot to notify the front desk that I was to come in today. The head nurse is looking into it. I just love it when this particular nurse does my vitals. I have to tell her what to do. BP, temp, oxygen level, weight. How hard is that? She always forgets something. And then the nurse who is in charge of the vitals room always has to remind her to enter them into the computer. I don't see her lasting very long. Her attention to details in nil. :angel:

Yesterday, SO's car was in the shop. She took my car so her sister and she could visit their brother in the hospital. SO called me from the road to tell me we are having dinner for eight tonight. Don't know what they want me to cook and I had no car to go shopping. So this morning I have my marching orders and I'm off to get some supplies. SO wants me to wait until she's finished making breakfast for her sister so she can go shopping with me. I'm not waiting.

I can't say that I blame you Andy. I shop so much better when I am on my own. How about an "Everything" fritatta. One pan, easy cleanup. sautéed onions, peppers, crumbled bacon, diced boiled potatoes, petite peas, any other veggie you have on hand, leftover meats, a dozen eggs, etc. Baked in a large 12 inch sauté pan, finished under the broiler. Cut into pizza style slices. With a salad on the side, you have a meal that will feed the whole crowd. :angel:

My daughter is planning this bash for me in March. It is turning into a hassle for me. I realize she is going to need help. But she does have a daughter that should be helping her. Not me. I had to provide all the addresses, reserve the room, provide the check for damages, (I get it back), and next will probably be she will want me to do the decorating. Hopefully, she is having it catered. If not, I am screwed. She will want me to do the cooking. If she orders catering, here we go again with more Italian food. From my least favorite place to order it from.

Do I sound ungrateful? I'm not. Just irritated at the whole idea. I have never been one for birthdays. I figure if you behave yourself and live right you will see a birthday next year. That is how it is supposed to be. I don't think reaching 75 yrs. is a big accomplishment. Reaching 175 is. :angel:

Reaching 175 would be an accomplishment for me, and I'm not talking age! LOL

I think a birthday party should be a surprise. You should not have to do anything. It sounds like you're throwing a party for yourself!

Reaching 175 would be an accomplishment for me, and I'm not talking age! LOL

I think a birthday party should be a surprise. You should not have to do anything. It sounds like you're throwing a party for yourself!

I hate it when attention is focused on me. I get very nervous. BTW, there is the problem of presents. I can't think of anything I need or want. And I don't have the room to store anything. Does it sound crass to mention to my daughter that I want her to add "no presents please" to the invites? If I had my druthers, I would rather just receive money. Being on a fixed income, I could always use that. But I will let my daughter handle that one without any word from me. :angel:

My daughter is planning this bash for me in March. It is turning into a hassle for me. I realize she is going to need help. But she does have a daughter that should be helping her. Not me. I had to provide all the addresses, reserve the room, provide the check for damages, (I get it back), and next will probably be she will want me to do the decorating. Hopefully, she is having it catered. If not, I am screwed. She will want me to do the cooking. If she orders catering, here we go again with more Italian food. From my least favorite place to order it from.

Arghhhh! Do you have an option for saying----- sorry, it's my party and I really don't feel like doing any work for it? Not even planning.

Whatever happened to a good old surprise birthday party?

Arghhhh! Do you have an option for saying----- sorry, it's my party and I really don't feel like doing any work for it? Not even planning.

Whatever happened to a good old surprise birthday party?

I wish I did. But she has brain cancer, so whatever I can do to make her life just a little bit easier, I will do. :angel:

Do I sound ungrateful? I'm not. Just irritated at the whole idea. I have never been one for birthdays. I figure if you behave yourself and live right you will see a birthday next year. That is how it is supposed to be. I don't think reaching 75 yrs. is a big accomplishment. Reaching 175 is. :angel:
No, not ungrateful. If was throwing a party for you all I would expect you to do would be to sit in state having all the family at your beck and call and I CERTAINLY wouldn't expect you to cough up the deposit for damages or anything else! I'd ask you what you fancied to eat as well, if I couldn't remember your favourite foods.

Last edited:
I hate it when attention is focused on me. I get very nervous. BTW, there is the problem of presents. I can't think of anything I need or want. And I don't have the room to store anything. Does it sound crass to mention to my daughter that I want her to add "no presents please" to the invites? If I had my druthers, I would rather just receive money. Being on a fixed income, I could always use that. But I will let my daughter handle that one without any word from me. :angel:
Not crass at all to request "No presents please". Difficult, I agree, to ask for money for oneself but if people insist on gifts why not ask for donations to your favourite charity? Some friends of mine got married recently. They were both widowed and had moved in with each other so had more pots and pans and vases and sets of bedding and vacuum cleaners than you could shake a stick at, so they asked for donations to the Royal British Legion, a charity supporting armed services personnel (they got married on November 11th). The "gifts" added up to nearly £2000!

And I'm sorry too, Addie, I didn't know about that;

Could you perhaps use it as a get-out? Too much trouble for her and all that?

The chemo is playing all kinds of tricks on her mind. It doesn't allow her to handle stress very well. So I can only try to make it easier for her. I just wish her daughter would step up.

Hopefully, in February she goes for her next MRI and we are hoping the chemo will stop. She has been on it for more than a year.

This is the second time we have been through this. Her husband was in stage four with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and given about three to four weeks to live at the time they found it. He beat the odds. He is more than a five year survivor. And now her. Will she make it, won't she make it. I feel like each day I am plucking the petals of a daisy flower. Most of the days I make it through the day without breaking down. Some days I don't. She will only see my side of strength. Never see me break down. When my youngest daughter was murdered, she was my strength. She protected me through the wake and funeral. Now I have to be hers. She is only 53 and my first born.

She has two children. Her oldest is a son and can't do enough for her. Her daughter is a piece of crap. My daughter and her husband have closed the cash register drawer. Go to work and earn your own money. Want to finish school? Take out student loans. She handed my daughter a list of what she wants for her birthday at the end of January. Her father snatched it and handed it right back to her and told her to have fun shopping. She knows better than to act up in my presence.

So I just keep plugging away each day and try to keep a positive outlook. All the swelling in her brain from the surgery has finally gone down after more than 18 months. And now they can see that what is left of the tumor is finally shrinking. My biggest worry is I know what the final prognosis is. Only five percent with this type of brain cancer live beyond two years and even less more than five years. Come February, it will be determined after her MRI as to whether she will remain on chemo for the rest of her life or come off it.

So now you know why I put an angel at the end of every post I make. It is for her. One can never have too many angels looking down on them and protecting them. And you will notice that a lot of folks here in the forum post one also. To them, I give an eternal Thanks. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom