Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get unlimited texts through Verizon. Just wish they'd left my unlimited data plan alone.

I get unlimited texts through Verizon. Just wish they'd left my unlimited data plan alone.

Neither phone is on contract and it seems to drive them a bit crazy. I'm getting texts from them, emails, and messages telling me "you've earned a free phone" LOL!

Neither phone is on contract and it seems to drive them a bit crazy. I'm getting texts from them, emails, and messages telling me "you've earned a free phone" LOL!

Yes, do not change a thing! That unlimited data plan you have is worth a lot more than unlimited texts. And if you even breathe wrong, Verizon will happily put you on their extremely limited, pay huge amounts for what you used to get for free, share everything plan!

Bitter? Not I....

Yes, do not change a thing! That unlimited data plan you have is worth a lot more than unlimited texts. And if you even breathe wrong, Verizon will happily put you on their extremely limited, pay huge amounts for what you used to get for free, share everything plan!

Bitter? Not I....

I plan on hanging on to it as long as I can, and keep buying my own phones from ebay until they force me off my unlimited plan!

.... I don't text every day, probably less than 100 texts in my lifetime!
Before December I probably could count the number of times I texted on one hand. During December, while trying to coordinate our trip to OH with our daughter, she and I exchanged nearly 100 texts. Each of those texts probably saved us a half hour of phone time! (yeah, we get chatty when we're together either on the phone or in person :) )

...Then Stirling got a cell phone and we texted for things like: We're in a mall. "Where are you?"....texting was free, but phoning incurred roaming and long distance fees, on top of the airtime.

Stirling still texts me when he travels to Calgary, "I have arrived in Calgary." "I'm at the airport, flight home leaves in half an hour. Should arrive at 17h." "Flight delayed. I'll let you know how long when I find out." ...
Makes for a great husband-finder, doesn't it? When we had Verizon we had unlimited in-carrier calls so we'd call each other. Now we just text. I understand there actually IS a Husband Locator app for phones now...

Neither phone is on contract and it seems to drive them a bit crazy...

Bitter? Not I....
Oh if you guys live where you can get Ting you need to check them out. They work off the Sprint network, so if your area had good Sprint coverage, Ting works fine too. We switched from our two-phone Verizon plan (no text, 700 shared talk minutes, unlimited data) that cost us $144 a month, to a Ting plan that charges you each month based on how much you use. To spend more than $60 for your data usage you have to go over 3 Gigabytes! So far, over the last three months, our two phones have cost us $40 a month - and that includes taxes and fees. $40! You do have to buy your phone; Himself got each of us a Samsung Galaxy3 off eBay for $200 each. When we get our next bill we will have broken even, having recovered the cost of the phones with our less expensive plan, and after that it will be true savings each month. The best part? Telling Verizon to take a hike. :LOL: Then when we tried to drop our land line ($29/mo) Verizon told us we had to keep it in order to have our internet (just went up to $29/mo). Local cable provides much faster internet for $30/mo. for the first year, then $45 for the next. So...we once again told Verizon to take a hike. Well, more like KMA at that point. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Oh if you guys live where you can get Ting you need to check them out. They work off the Sprint network, so if your area had good Sprint coverage, Ting works fine too. We switched from our two-phone Verizon plan (no text, 700 shared talk minutes, unlimited data) that cost us $144 a month, to a Ting plan that charges you each month based on how much you use. To spend more than $60 for your data usage you have to go over 3 Gigabytes! So far, over the last three months, our two phones have cost us $40 a month - and that includes taxes and fees. $40! You do have to buy your phone; Himself got each of us a Samsung Galaxy3 off eBay for $200 each. When we get our next bill we will have broken even, having recovered the cost of the phones with our less expensive plan, and after that it will be true savings each month. The best part? Telling Verizon to take a hike. :LOL: Then when we tried to drop our land line ($29/mo) Verizon told us we had to keep it in order to have our internet (just went up to $29/mo). Local cable provides much faster internet for $30/mo. for the first year, then $45 for the next. So...we once again told Verizon to take a hike. Well, more like KMA at that point. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Good info, CG! I'll have to look into Ting. We have our internet through Verizon, as we're out in the boonies and no cable available. That's where the Verizon stealing of the unlimited plan really hurts. The phones are not terribly affected and use little to no bandwidth, it's the PC and iPads that do it.

Since I rarely need a phone, I have a Tracfone, which I use mostly for texting. A text only uses .30 of a minute, as compared to using minutes for a call. Even a short call uses at least a full minute.

I keep it for the unlimited data. I've used 2.5 gigs already and I have a week left. There are many months that my data goes well over 3 gigs for my phone alone.

With my company's discount I pay $120 for each phone.

Sprint's coverage is OK in this city but Verizon's coverage especially when traveling is hard to let go, especially since they have 4g LTE almost everywhere now (I like to stream stuff).

I am just sickened, saddened, and confused by another madman killing innocent people in a busy shopping mall, this time in Maryland. Schools, malls and other public places should be places of safety and comfort. :(

I am just sickened, saddened, and confused by another madman killing innocent people in a busy shopping mall, this time in Maryland. Schools, malls and other public places should be places of safety and comfort. :(

Yes a very sad day. It was on the news here and its shocking that this happens time after time.

I agree about the senseless killings (is there every any that makes real sense?).

What I can't figure out is if there are more of them or we hear about all of them very quickly and easily. I could be persuaded of either side of that argument. Sigh.

I agree about the senseless killings (is there every any that makes real sense?).

What I can't figure out is if there are more of them or we hear about all of them very quickly and easily. I could be persuaded of either side of that argument. Sigh.

I could have continued my discussed on this continuing problem, but I am sure the mods and Charlton Heston would object.

virginia senator creigh deeds was featured on 60 minutes tonight, addressing the desperate need for funding and psychiatric facilities for the long-neglected mentally ill population of this country. in december, senator deeds was nearly stabbed to death by his mentally disturbed son, just one day after he had been denied psychiatric placement in a hospital, for lack of beds. the son shot and killed himself after the altercation with his father.
this is just one example of a highly regarded, well-connected and prosperous congressman who was unable to secure mental health assistance for his family. we, as a nation, cannot afford to continue ignoring the elephant....

Well, they did it again. I had an appointment at 2:15. I was ready and downstairs by 1:45. Transportation never showed up. The appointment was for a consultation for surgery. This time I am not going to say anything to them. Only because I really don't feel like going there. I don't know where the fault lies. With Winthrop or the transportation company that has the contract. I have the feeling it is with Winthrop. They probably forgot to notify the transportation company. As usual. Oh well, time for a nap. :angel:

Severe Shortage of Psychiatric Beds Sounds National Alarm Bell

"Report finds US deficit of nearly 100,000 inpatient beds; result is increased homelessness, emergency room overcrowding, and use of jails and prisons as de-facto psychiatric hospitals"Treatment Advocacy Center

Back
Top Bottom