Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Okay my vent is over. I am just so sick of hearing about the Marathon Bombing around the clock. :angel:

Addie, one of my major irritations is how the media overplays news stories. Whether it's the weather, a disaster, the bombing or whatever. It's in your face around the clock. The more drama the better.

Why is it better if some poor sap of a reporter is outdoors standing in the middle of a blizzard, hurricane, tornado, flood etc. ARRGGGGHHHH!!

I think I may have to go to Churchill, Canada and play with the polar bears to get away from it. :angel:

I've always wanted to visit Churchill! When you go please be safe. ;)

Rover-Bear.jpg

Addie, one of my major irritations is how the media overplays news stories. Whether it's the weather, a disaster, the bombing or whatever. It's in your face around the clock. The more drama the better.

Why is it better if some poor sap of a reporter is outdoors standing in the middle of a blizzard, hurricane, tornado, flood etc. ARRGGGGHHHH!!

Overkill!! I would love to overkill some of the news departments. :angel:

I have to agree about overblown news stories. Here in Canada it is the mayor of Toronto. I don't know how I feel about him, I just know I am tired of hearing about it.

My real vent is about my new cell phone. It is great. It is how we were treated and how we got ripped off. My plan was due for renewal last Sunday. Up until then the company we are with (Fido for Canadians) was advertising the Samsung S4 for $200 with renewal. When we went there the person we have been dealing with for a few years was off. The two that were there were speaking the whole time to each other in their own language. They told us the phone was now $300 and if we wanted we could wait 2-3 weeks until the S5 comes out and the S4 would probably be lower. My phone and my tablet both weren't working and TB wanted me to have the new phone ASAP so we paid the $300. When I mentioned that we were regular customers the woman said we weren't in her system. No deals were discussed and we were treated like we were buying a candy bar.

Just yesterday TB got an email from Bestbuy advertising the S5 (different providers) for $229.

He is phoning Fido today saying either refund the entire price of the phone, give us the S5 instead and match the price or, cancel the whole thing and we will take our business elsewhere!

First the van and now this - why can't anything be simple anymore! :mad:

Nope, not a "one and done" problem. Get the shot! I had a minimal reaction to the vaccine, but it's because I didn't have any protection against the virus, never developed the antibodies against it....

Doc wasn't sure what my insurance would charge. He thought it should be $50? But then again it could be $200! I'm waiting until I check with the insurance company, not so much to decide if to get it as to figure out how big of a charge I have to brace myself for! :LOL: It's not like there's been a run on shingles around here, just a run on "get the singles vaccine ad" push around here on TV. Meanwhile, we also figured it was OK for me to forego my flu shot since the flu season winds down about now. Didn't get the shot and...the news last night said the flu is making a comeback. *sigh*

You won't be alone for long, you have Laki and Carl and US! I know we are not DA, but we will continue to fill your life with joy.

Think of the Love and Trust you have received, the Privilege of caring for DA and learning more about her and her life. Remember, this is her Journey and she wants you at her side as her Companion, but only for the first steps, after that Someone stronger will be there to Greet her and be her Companion for the rest of her Journey.

Cat, ^this^. I couldn't have said it as eloquently as PF did. I have you, DA, and all your family and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

Good Saturday Morning. Or is it? I will have to get back to you on the "Good" part.....I am just so sick of hearing about the Marathon Bombing around the clock. :angel:
Thank goodness Himself and I aren't the only ones feeling this overload of remembrance. I've resorted to getting my news from the internet only for the time being. That way I have the choice to read just the current events and the weather.

Cave, I believe the pharmacies in our area are connected online in such a way that the pharmacist can see the prescriptions we have had filled elsewhere. I know that's the way it was when I worked at the mail-order pharmacy. In fact, they keep sending me emails suggesting that I switch my retail prescriptions over to mail-order. So they can see what I'm getting elsewhere. If there is a drug interaction the order is stopped dead and a call is made to the doctor to let him know there's an interaction and suggest that he choose another drug. I am confortable with this set up. DH is afraid to take a Rolaids when he takes his blood pressure med.

Addie, I was in grade school when the Polio Vaccine came out. All the kids got their first shot in school, administered free by the county. We were supposed to follow up with the doctor for the boosters. My parents did not have the money for this so we never got the boosters. I guess we were just lucky not to get polio. We got through chicken pox, measles and mumps without a problem, except for my younger brother. He was born with the cord wrapped around his neck and already had problems because of that. He caught chicken pox from one of us older ones, got a really high fever, which caused more severe brain damage and was profoundly retarded from that point on. I know the word "retarded" is now politically incorrect, but that is the word that was used back in the 50's. Now they say "mentally challenged."

Doc wasn't sure what my insurance would charge. He thought it should be $50? But then again it could be $200! I'm waiting until I check with the insurance company, not so much to decide if to get it as to figure out how big of a charge I have to brace myself for! :LOL: It's not like there's been a run on shingles around here, just a run on "get the singles vaccine ad" push around here on TV. Meanwhile, we also figured it was OK for me to forego my flu shot since the flu season winds down about now. Didn't get the shot and...the news last night said the flu is making a comeback. *sigh*

I only know what I paid for the vaccine itself which was my co-pay, I got it from the facility pharmacy and had one of the nurses give me the shot. Only way I felt safe, was getting it done while i was at work and everyone was watching me for adverse effects considering my history with CP and Shingles. Like I said, just a mild reaction.

I'm thinking the shot should only cost you what ever your co-pay is for a prescription.

Depends on what Tier it's in PF. Last year my three maintenance meds would cost under $20 for three months of all three. This year, for some rea$on, my pravastatin was bumped up to Tier 2. Just three months of that one med now costs me $40 through my new, higher premium/lower quality, "affordable" health plan. *grumble*grumble*

Cave, I believe the pharmacies in our area are connected online in such a way that the pharmacist can see the prescriptions we have had filled elsewhere. I know that's the way it was when I worked at the mail-order pharmacy. In fact, they keep sending me emails suggesting that I switch my retail prescriptions over to mail-order. So they can see what I'm getting elsewhere. If there is a drug interaction the order is stopped dead and a call is made to the doctor to let him know there's an interaction and suggest that he choose another drug. I am confortable with this set up. DH is afraid to take a Rolaids when he takes his blood pressure med.

That's a good thing and it probably is getting more and more common. I still check for myself because my pharmacy, though a big one, has made so many errors/glitches (none of the life threatening kind, yet!) I don't trust them to give me the time.

Your DH sounds even more cautious! :rolleyes:

Oh, I know...one of my meds is $85 a month for the co-pay, others are $35 for Brand Name and the rest $10 or less for generics. Some of them don't have generics, yet. It's cheaper to keep Shrek ticking along.

I think shots are priced differently than meds, but it might depend on the insurance. If I get a flu shot at my doctor's office it's free because I'm a senior citizen with health issues. But if I get it somewhere else I pay. If I decide to get the shingles shot I will call my insurance first and find out how much it is. That will make the decision for me to get it or not. I also might get the pneumonia shot. I read online that it's hard to get Medicare to approve the shingles shot, but I have a supplement insurance so that might work differently.

Cave, when I was in the hospital once for my heart, I had to stop taking my Metformin 2 days before and 2 days after the procedure because Metformin interacts with the contrast dye. The morning after my procedure a nurse brought my meds and I told her I wasn't supposed to take the Metformin. She insisted I had to take it. I argued with her, but I finally took it to make her go away. In hindsight, I wish I had told her to call the doctor and tell him I'm refusing to take my meds. I told the nurse on the next shift about the issue and she reported it and had the nurse reprimanded. She said it was in my chart that I was supposed to take it, but I think they were just trying to cover their butts. I think if I said I wasn't supposed to take it they should have checked that out before they insisted I take it. I guess ultimately it was my fault, because I caved and took it. They checked my kidney function and I was OK.

I think shots are priced differently than meds, but it might depend on the insurance. If I get a flu shot at my doctor's office it's free because I'm a senior citizen with health issues. But if I get it somewhere else I pay. If I decide to get the shingles shot I will call my insurance first and find out how much it is. That will make the decision for me to get it or not. I also might get the pneumonia shot. I read online that it's hard to get Medicare to approve the shingles shot, but I have a supplement insurance so that might work differently.

The shots are based on what your insurance is willing to pay for, Medicare is the same. If I could get Shrek to get the flu shot, it would be free at the doctor's office and would have to pay for it elsewhere.

Otherwise for most insurance any shot is placed on the Tier Level your insurance is willing to pay for that vaccine. I got the pneumonia shot at an early age, insurance only pays for it at age 60, but considering my health history my doctor wanted me to have it...it cost me the top tier price because the insurance can get away with it because of my age, 52. If I had waited until 60, I would have paid the lowest tier price, from free to $10.

I get the flu shot free at work each year.

Cave, when I was in the hospital once for my heart, I had to stop taking my Metformin 2 days before and 2 days after the procedure because Metformin interacts with the contrast dye. The morning after my procedure a nurse brought my meds and I told her I wasn't supposed to take the Metformin. She insisted I had to take it. I argued with her, but I finally took it to make her go away. In hindsight, I wish I had told her to call the doctor and tell him I'm refusing to take my meds. I told the nurse on the next shift about the issue and she reported it and had the nurse reprimanded. She said it was in my chart that I was supposed to take it, but I think they were just trying to cover their butts. I think if I said I wasn't supposed to take it they should have checked that out before they insisted I take it. I guess ultimately it was my fault, because I caved and took it. They checked my kidney function and I was OK.

You have to be very proactive when in the hospital, refusing medications you know you are not supposed to take and those you are supposed to take. I was considered non-compliant because I refused to take the Lantus insulin. I had no problem taking the regular insulin and insisted on taking my normal Victoza. They also tried changing my cholesterol medications...didn't happen.

Don't cave in when in the hospital, just tell the nurse, "no". You can also demand a different nurse.

I used to get flu shots free at work, but I quit getting them now that I'm retired. For one thing, I have never had the flu in my life. Bad colds, but no achy, fever,etc. The other reason, a good friend of ours recently developed Gillian Barre syndrome after getting the flu shot. He is in very bad shape now. I know, my doctor told me that is very rare, but it seems if something can go wrong, it will go wrong for me. So I choose not to get it.

I will never cave to a nurse again, PF. In the past few years I have been in the hospital for 3 10day stays for surgery, and 2 5 day stays for other things. I've learned a lot and realize that everyone can make a mistake and I have to look out for myself as much as I can. Don't do something just because a nurse tells you to. I respect them for what they do. They have a hard job. But no one is infallible.

I never get flu shots. Couple of years ago my doctor talk me into it, so I did. Guess what, this was the time I got flu in years, if ever.

Back
Top Bottom