Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The squitters in MA are tiny. And stealth-like. And come out way earlier than OH ones ever did. I miss those big, ol' mosquitoes like we had back home. They were big enough you could usually hear them coming. You had a good chance to get one before she got you. Not real bright, either. Himself watched one try to drill through the glass on his watch case before he put the poor thing out of its misery. :LOL:

The squitters in MA are tiny. And stealth-like. And come out way earlier than OH ones ever did. I miss those big, ol' mosquitoes like we had back home. They were big enough you could usually hear them coming. You had a good chance to get one before she got you. Not real bright, either. Himself watched one try to drill through the glass on his watch case before he put the poor thing out of its misery. :LOL:

Worst I've ever seen was on our way to a whale shark tour in Mexico. After getting off a small plane in Holbox, we were covered in teeny tiny skeets. I found a small bottle of DEET in my bag that I had forgotten I had put there! I was very popular, even the pilot needed it!

Last edited:
I hear, they do not like people who regularly eat garlic. Maybe I should change my diet and eat more garlic than sweets. I am a big time mosquito magnet.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

You Know What's Disturbing?

At the time I was told about what one of our local schools was doing forcing students, making it a mandatory thing that the kids make a public account not sure if it's fake book, tweeter or what. So that they can monitor what the kids post.The person who told me that said if they didn't do it the kids wouldn't pass the class.I thought, noooo way.Can't be true.Sure enough it is.
Now it's starting in other areas.

What ever happened to privacy? Parental rights to watch over our own without the school district stepping in and taking the control from us?
I remember being told in a hoity way to step back.Don't ask questions about my sons progress.Don't dare ask to volunteer.

Who's paying for the cell phones. Parents our the tax payers?
What if the family moves.The kids graduate.Does the monitoring continue?

I'm so glad we yanked one of ours out of the public school system here.
Knowing mine they would make fake profiles just to jerk the system around using disposable phones.LOL!

No wait, we would do it for them!

At the time I was told about what one of our local schools was doing forcing students, making it a mandatory thing that the kids make a public account not sure if it's fake book, tweeter or what. So that they can monitor what the kids post.The person who told me that said if they didn't do it the kids wouldn't pass the class.I thought, noooo way.Can't be true.Sure enough it is.
Now it's starting in other areas.

What ever happened to privacy? Parental rights to watch over our own without the school district stepping in and taking the control from us?
I remember being told in a hoity way to step back.Don't ask questions about my sons progress.Don't dare ask to volunteer.

Who's paying for the cell phones. Parents our the tax payers?
What if the family moves.The kids graduate.Does the monitoring continue?

I'm so glad we yanked one of ours out of the public school system here.
Knowing mine they would make fake profiles just to jerk the system around using disposable phones.LOL!

No wait, we would do it for them!

Pirate is one of those folks who would have the most pleasure jerking them around. Example: He was about 18 and the police were chasing him and one of his friends. All of a sudden Pirate stopped running and the cop almost knocked him down. When the cop asked him why was he running, Pirate said, "It is part of the game. You know your department insists you keep in shape. So I am contributing to your good health. I run, you chase. That is how the game is played." The cop told him "get out here!" :angel:

Munky, it's because kids are using social media to harass and bully unpopular classmates and these days, schools are being held responsible for dealing with that. If parents handled it, rather than denying their perfect little angel would *ever* do that, the schools wouldn't have to.

A disposable phone isn't necessary for a fake profile. FireFox, and probably Chrome, allow someone to open a "private browsing" window that doesn't store cookies. This is available on computer or phone.

He's lucky. People who run from police are more likely to be shot.

In this section of Boston, 90% of the police and fire departments are manned with folks from the neighborhood. Pirate went to school with most of the men who are on the force in this part of Boston. Very rarely do they pull their guns. And only if they have been shot at first. Also, because of the streets being so narrow, no patrol car is allowed to do a chase. They try to get the plate number and work from that. This is not a city that riots. We may demonstrate, but not riot. Boston is loaded with college kids. They know if they riot, they WILL get tossed out of school. If that happens, they then have to face their parents who just paid out a few thousand dollars for their next semester. That tends to set the whole mood of the city. There are probably more college kids than bona fide citizens of the city. When Poo was in grade school then Jr. high, we knew the first names of most of the cops. And the majority of them were younger than me. Years ago when I was bartending, I used to serve the majority of the cops in this part of Boston. And I also worked for the BPD. So I know how they work.

If they remove their gun from the holster, they have to go before a review board. In the meantime, they have to surrender their gun, until their hearing. They know most of the young folks in the area they patrol. Without their gun, they feel almost naked. So they think twice before they remove it from the holster. :angel:

In this section of Boston, 90% of the police and fire departments are manned with folks from the neighborhood. Pirate went to school with most of the men who are on the force in this part of Boston. Very rarely do they pull their guns. And only if they have been shot at first. Also, because of the streets being so narrow, no patrol car is allowed to do a chase. They try to get the plate number and work from that. This is not a city that riots. We may demonstrate, but not riot. Boston is loaded with college kids. They know if they riot, they WILL get tossed out of school. If that happens, they then have to face their parents who just paid out a few thousand dollars for their next semester. That tends to set the whole mood of the city. There are probably more college kids than bona fide citizens of the city. When Poo was in grade school then Jr. high, we knew the first names of most of the cops. And the majority of them were younger than me. Years ago when I was bartending, I used to serve the majority of the cops in this part of Boston. And I also worked for the BPD. So I know how they work.

If they remove their gun from the holster, they have to go before a review board. In the meantime, they have to surrender their gun, until their hearing. They know most of the young folks in the area they patrol. Without their gun, they feel almost naked. So they think twice before they remove it from the holster. :angel:

That may have been true years ago. Things are different now, all over. It's much more dangerous out there for police, and they don't always wait till they're shot at to defend themselves. I'm sure almost every cop thinks a dozen times before pulling their gun. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to test them by running.

And who's talking about riots? I was talking about your own son who ran from the police to "jerk them around."

Last edited:
Of all the things mentioned that draws mosquitos, DH is average size, not obese, does not drink beer, eats a lot of sweets and no garlic. I think it's the sweets. I am smaller than he is, but more overweight than him for my gender. I eat garlic daily, but no sweets. I am type O but he doesn't know his blood type.

Long ago I heard that using some Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil is supposed to be a good mosquito deterrant, but DH won't use it. Too girly for him. I guess he'd rather get bit.

Of all the things mentioned that draws mosquitos, DH is average size, not obese, does not drink beer, eats a lot of sweets and no garlic. I think it's the sweets. I am smaller than he is, but more overweight than him for my gender. I eat garlic daily, but no sweets. I am type O but he doesn't know his blood type.

Long ago I heard that using some Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil is supposed to be a good mosquito deterrant, but DH won't use it. Too girly for him. I guess he'd rather get bit.

I have heard the same thing about Bounce Outdoor Fresh fabric softener sheets, not sure if it is true or not.

I have heard the same thing about Bounce Outdoor Fresh fabric softener sheets, not sure if it is true or not.
We were told to stick one or more to your clothing. Stirling walked around with the dryer sheets sticking out of pockets, etc. He got bitten just as much as usual.

We were told to stick one or more to your clothing. Stirling walked around with the dryer sheets sticking out of pockets, etc. He got bitten just as much as usual.

DH puts them (dryer sheets) under the car seats and also the living room sofa as an air freshener.

We'll be married fourteen years this September��. She loves us very much but she can be very nosey and intrusive.

I am the best MIL in the world. Not once have I ever intruded into the marriages of my children. I figure, it's their marriage not mine. I don't have to live it. Even when I have asked my kids if they can remember anytime I have ever intruded where I was not wanted, I always get a "No" for an answer. Sure there has been lots of times when I wanted to. But I walked away and busied myself with other activities. If they want to confide in me, all they get in return is "I understand, uh huh, etc. :angel:

Okay, the stupid version on Addie did it again. :angry::censored::bangin::furious: This is the second time. The breakfast sausages are kept on the top shelf. An area I cannot see, so I stretch as best as I can and grab the package closest to the edge. I just opened the package up and when cutting out the label for the freezer bag, I noticed "Maple Flavored". I hate maple flavored breakfast sausages. Too late. The package is already opened. Pirate can eat them. Lesson learned. The next time I will ask for help and emphasize, REGULAR FLAVORED ONLY! :angel:

My step-daughter has a terrible habit of asking people how much they paid for things. When she was a teen I berated her for that all the time. She says she wants to know, so she asks! LOL I told her to ask where they got it, then go there and see what it cost. She also asks people how much they make. Grrrrrr She's 46...old enough to know better.

Come to think of it, my MIL did both of those things, too.

Last edited:
DH butts into his kids business all the time. It's very irritating. They are no longer children. Some things I tell them not to tell him because he will harp on it forever. Sometimes they ask for his advice, and then he will say "Oh, do what you want!!" LOL

Back
Top Bottom