Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you ask me to travel two hours to where you live and do a dinner party for you, please give me more than a days notice before you CANCEL ON ME!!!

I'm full of rage. Everything is packed. Hours of work, planning, list making, shopping, money spent, etc. Gone. For nothing.

He's a relative, so there's not much I can do except silently simmer over here.
That was truly inconsiderate of your relative.

If it were me, I would use a text editor to compose an email (not an email program, where it could accidentally get sent before I was ready). Then I would wait until I was calm and not nearly so angry. I would work on it. I would try to explain about the wasted time and money. Then I would set it aside. I would look it over again later and maybe edit it some more. I have learned not to respond too quickly when I get annoyed/angered/upset. This is obviously a relative that you like well enough to do this for.

That was truly inconsiderate of your relative.

If it were me, I would use a text editor to compose an email (not an email program, where it could accidentally get sent before I was ready). Then I would wait until I was calm and not nearly so angry. I would work on it. I would try to explain about the wasted time and money. Then I would set it aside. I would look it over again later and maybe edit it some more. I have learned not to respond too quickly when I get annoyed/angered/upset. This is obviously a relative that you like well enough to do this for.

Excellent advice Taxi. Nicki there's just no way I could let this go.

Nickee, my first thought is "wow". So much time and effort, and then that. If that had happened to me, I'd drive the two hours, then punch his/her lights out. :ermm: :ohmy: However, I think taxy has a much better suggestion.

I would try to slip in something towards the end of your message along the lines of "I'll never be able to recover the time I spent planning, but I would really appreciate you reimbursing me the money spent on the perishables". If you end up eating all that food, I'd even be happy for half the money back.

If you ask me to travel two hours to where you live and do a dinner party for you, please give me more than a days notice before you CANCEL ON ME!!!

I'm full of rage. Everything is packed. Hours of work, planning, list making, shopping, money spent, etc. Gone. For nothing.

He's a relative, so there's not much I can do except silently simmer over here.

Do you know the reason for the cancellation? Perhaps it was unavoidable and the relative did the best they could.

Nickee, my first thought is "wow". So much time and effort, and then that. If that had happened to me, I'd drive the two hours, then punch his/her lights out. :ermm: :ohmy: However, I think taxy has a much better suggestion.

I would try to slip in something towards the end of your message along the lines of "I'll never be able to recover the time I spent planning, but I would really appreciate you reimbursing me the money spent on the perishables". If you end up eating all that food, I'd even be happy for half the money back.

Insert amount here Nickee.

I would let it go.

In the future I would require a nonrefundable deposit on all catering, that would at least cover the cost of the perishables.

If you have a large quantity of food that you cannot use or freeze maybe you could donate it to a local soup kitchen or food pantry and at least get a receipt for a tax deduction.

Don't get discouraged! :flowers:

Petty vent. I visited Pinterest.com to check out a recipe. It lets you check it out for 15 seconds, then brings up a big box requiring you to register. You're blocked from there on. Those sites are annoying as hell to me. When you get thru and register with FaceBook or some other auto log in, Pinterest floods your email box.

Petty vent. I visited Pinterest.com to check out a recipe. It lets you check it out for 15 seconds, then brings up a big box requiring you to register. You're blocked from there on. Those sites are annoying as hell to me. When you get thru and register with FaceBook or some other auto log in, Pinterest floods your email box.

You can change the settings so they don't send you the notifications.

Shocked and saddened about the shooting of a reporter and cameraman in Roanoke, Virginia, live on the air this morning, by a former employee of the TV station. I guess I shouldn't be, since there have been so many shootings in the United States in recent years. So sad for their families, friends and colleagues.

It's especially horrible that the cameraman was a freshman at Virginia Tech when the massacre occurred there in 2007.

The suspect shot himself after being confronted by law enforcement officers. He's in critical condition.

Last edited:
Shocked and saddened about the shooting of a reporter and cameraman in Roanoke, live on the air this morning, by a former employee of the TV station. I guess I shouldn't be, since there are so many shootings in the United States in recent years. So sad for their families, friends and colleagues.

It's especially horrible that the cameraman was a freshman at Virginia Tech when the massacre occurred there in 2007.

The suspect shot himself after being confronted by law enforcement officers. He's in critical condition.

I've been watching it being covered on the Today Show this morning and wondered if you "knew" them GG. Shocking indeed.

No, Roanoke is about a five-hour drive from here. The details are just unimaginable. The shooter apparently posted his own videos on Twitter and Facebook (his accounts have been suspended). The cameraman was engaged to the woman who was producing the morning show, so she saw it happen. It's insane.

You can also log in with Twitter. I don't use twitter - don't ever plan to, either. So I made a dummy twitter account, and linked it to a free email account (***junkmail@gmail.com). I use the twitter account and the junkmail account to sign up for anything that I don't want in my email.

I never check them - never know how much stuff is in there - don't care. My real family/friends/associates have my real email.

Petty vent. I visited Pinterest.com ... Those sites are annoying as hell to me. When you get thru and register with FaceBook or some other auto log in, Pinterest floods your email box.
I NeverNever sign in anywhere using Facebook (my only social account - don't do Instagram or anything else). FB has their tentacles in enough of my life; I don't need them linking to other's. I use my main email, set the preferences like GG said, and don't get slammed with junk mail.

... I made a dummy twitter account, and linked it to a free email account (***junkmail@gmail.com). I use the twitter account and the junkmail account to sign up for anything that I don't want in my email.

I never check them - never know how much stuff is in there - don't care. My real family/friends/associates have my real email.
Genius, Silversage! But wait, how do you then find out the changes to their User Policy? :huh: You never know when they might sneak in something evil...

Shocked and saddened about the shooting of a reporter and cameraman in Roanoke, Virginia, live on the air this morning, by a former employee of the TV station...
That is sad and terrible, GG. I don't bother with the TV until the 5 PM news comes on, so I read this online a little earlier. So many angry ex-employees have done this over the years that it must make bosses very leery to cut anyone, no matter how bad their job performance is.

My petty vent was about Google hit results. You go and check out that recipe on that site. Pinterest site lets new users hang there for a few seconds, then that site brings up a big grey square box wanting you to register and prevents you from going on. Pinterest is that kind of site. I'm venting I don't like sites like those. So, then I sign up using some form of social media. Immediately afterwards they flood my email box. Hey! I just dropped by that site to get a recipe. Other recipe sites are hassle free, no registration required.

I don't like sites that let you enter their site and browse for 20 seconds, then bring up a registration box in order to continue reading. That was my petty vent. Maybe Pinterest site is cool and worth signing up for, only...don't let me get into your site for half a minute (new to your site) and then block all further reading until I register. That bugs me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom