Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My petty vent was about Google hit results. You go and check out that recipe on that site. Pinterest site lets new users hang there for a few seconds, then that site brings up a big grey square box wanting you to register and prevents you from going on. Pinterest is that kind of site. I'm venting I don't like sites like those. So, then I sign up using some form of social media. Immediately afterwards they flood my email box. Hey! I just dropped by that site to get a recipe. Other recipe sites are hassle free, no registration required.

I don't like sites that let you enter their site and browse for 20 seconds, then bring up a registration box in order to continue reading. That was my petty vent. Maybe Pinterest site is cool and worth signing up for, only...don't let me get into your site for half a minute (new to your site) and then block all further reading until I register. That bugs me.

That bugs me too!

and another thing!!!!

I hate it when I want to watch a short news video and I have to sit through a commercial before the news item starts. It actually gives me a bad feeling about the item or cause that they are pitching!

My vent

Nine tenths of a cent.:idea:

You know they know we are stupid because they still have 9/10 at the end of gas prices! Even when gas is at $4 a gallon!:mad:

Ever see 4/10¢? Nope! Never! It would make sense if it actually changed once in a while. I have even seen new gas signs erected with the 9/10 permanently molded or printed on it! That's right, its just permanent now!:bangin:

I would drive out of my way and pay 10¢ more a gallon or even more to patronize the first gas station that stops this insanity.:dry:

All the "sheeple" out there...it's amazing we can function as a nation in the U.S. :ermm:

Speaking for myself, ever since learning fractions and rounding in grade school my mind has always rounded 9/10 to the next whole integer and anything 4/10 and below down to the next integer.:cool:

"Tap, tap...hello...is this thing on?"

Dropping the mic...:punk:

More

(Picking the mic back up)

Oh yea...and $.99:mad:

Anything priced with a $.98 or $.99...even $.97 ticks me off a little, I get less angry at $.96 and lower but they still think you are stupid...or know it, one or the other.:ermm:

We could be rid of the penny except for heinous taxes and jerks that price things just below the next integer to trick the stupid people..."hey, at least it's less than $5"...UNTIL TAXES...FOOL!
:ohmy:
Yep, we are clearly stupid as a people, otherwise this nonsense would not exist.:wacko:

I had an old ISP provider explain this to me many moons ago. People are really that stupid. He used to price his dial-up service at $20 even and I liked that because of my $.99 and 9/10 psychosis. When he changed to $19.95 I asked him why. He said people actually told him they were going to another company for the service because he was $20 and they were $19.95 a month.

As a society, our people demand this stupidity.:bash:

Last edited:
Kenny, I don't think it's as bad as you portray. If you're buying gas based on price, you tend to just ignore the fraction and look at the dollars and cents. Station A sells regular for $2.24 and station B sells it for $2.28. The fact that the fraction is fixed at 9/10 makes such comparisons easier. JMHO

Nine tenths of a cent.:idea:

You know they know we are stupid because they still have 9/10 at the end of gas prices! Even when gas is at $4 a gallon!:mad:

Ever see 4/10¢? Nope! Never! It would make sense if it actually changed once in a while. I have even seen new gas signs erected with the 9/10 permanently molded or printed on it! That's right, its just permanent now!:bangin:

I would drive out of my way and pay 10¢ more a gallon or even more to patronize the first gas station that stops this insanity.:dry:

All the "sheeple" out there...it's amazing we can function as a nation in the U.S. :ermm:

Speaking for myself, ever since learning fractions and rounding in grade school my mind has always rounded 9/10 to the next whole integer and anything 4/10 and below down to the next integer.:cool:

"Tap, tap...hello...is this thing on?"

Dropping the mic...:punk:

Maybe it's just me and I drive an economical car, but I really don't pay much attention to gas prices. I know which areas of town are more expensive and which places like club stores are usually the most reasonable. I THINK that I paid around $2.20 a gallon last time. I don't even pay attention to the 9/10ths nonsense, it only means 12-13 cents a tank in my case.

I think gas was $3.45/gallon here when I filled up a couple of weeks ago. I don't pay attention to the 9/10 of a cent either. That .99 cents price is rounded up automatically in my mind whether it's at a gas station, grocery store, or wherever - I'm not fooled into thinking it's anything less than a dollar and think most people probably see it that way too. :ermm:

Last edited:
Well it's just me then. I don't sweat gas prices either...I just notice stupid stuff.

I suppose I made the mistake of thinking "humorous" in a "venting" thread. :ermm:

Both subjects are "rant" level stuff. Y'all kind of proved my point yet methinks missed the point. But it's great that you don't sweat the small stuff!:blink:

Last edited:
What bothers me about gas pricing is that when a barrel of sweet crude cost around $90, we paid close to, or just above $4 for a gallon of gas. Now that the price for a barrel of sweet crude is close to $40 per gallon, we're still paying, in my town, just over $3 per gallon of gas. And it always seems to go up just before the holidays when people drive the most.

What I dislike is that the wages from the largest employe, back in the 1960's, GM, would be about $90 per hour at today's dollar value. Now, the largest employer is WalMart, with a pay of about $9 per hour with the current dollar strength. Our standard of living is 1/10th of what it was back in the 1960's. I had as much take home money when I made $13/hr., as I do now making $23/hr., due to the rising cost of health care, increased income tax, and other factors. My take home pay is the same, and the dollar won't purchase as much. With all of my married children, who have children, it takes two incomes to support the family. The family has taken 2nd fiddle to the corporate need to float the elite on a sea of personal wealth.

And we keep voting in the same idiots year after year in our, for all practical purposes, two-party governments. As a protest vote, I haven't voted republican, or democrat for a few elections now. Somehow, we need to send a message to our representatives that they need to represent us, not the elite.

And of course, that's my humble opinion. I'm not bashing one party. I'm bashing them all.:hammer:

Now this post will probably be pulled, which it kind of should be, for being too political.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I am totally with you Chief Longwind. The middle class is being squeezed...and this is on purpose. I could explain why but it would make me a lot of enemies on this site I'm sure.

I am also neither a Republican or a Democrat, the two party system and adversarial nature of people's politics are what is killing us. People treat their parties like their hometown football team, it doesn't matter what they do, they are going to vote for them anyway regardless of available facts.

As far as corporate? We've come a long way from company towns and company stores...yep such a long way they don't exist! We've lost most of those companies to globalization. Blame those who want that "new world order"...in both major political parties. They want globalization then set the U.S. up as one of the most difficult nations to do business in. There is a reason we cant compete and it's self inflicted.

We ran companies off with high taxes and outrageous regulations that go far beyond simply keeping pollution at bay. We are now a consumer economy...we're only good at using and selling stuff anymore. I've seen the decline as I come from a welding and metalwork career...we've raised our kids in recent decades as a nation to be soft, sensitive, politically correct and little Johnny is far too "special" to be a plumber or construction worker. So we have Mal-educated politically indoctrinated skulls full of mush graduating college and still have to live with mommy till age 30 and beyond.

I don't think your post is out of bounds at all. This IS an off-topic VENT thread.

Whats funny is people thought my posts above were complaining about prices...my real point blew right past folks.

I'm new here...is there a place for humor and quirky wit somewhere around here? Even adding smilies didn't help me on this one

Last edited:
...Whats funny is people thought my posts above were complaining about prices...my real point blew right past folks...

Your point was clear. We were being duped by the 9/10 of a cent on gas prices. That gas companies thought we were stupid.

The fractional suffix is irrelevant if everyone does the same thing. Same with $1.99 pricing. Am I fooled into thinking the price is a dollar instead of two? If every retailer uses the same "let's trick the masses" logic, the trick becomes ineffective. You are, after all, comparing one retailer's price to another.

Kenny, I don't think it's as bad as you portray. If you're buying gas based on price, you tend to just ignore the fraction and look at the dollars and cents. Station A sells regular for $2.24 and station B sells it for $2.28. The fact that the fraction is fixed at 9/10 makes such comparisons easier. JMHO

I agree. To me, fraction of a cent posted is somewhat analogous to a fine print in an ad.

Well it's just me then. I don't sweat gas prices either...I just notice stupid stuff.

I suppose I made the mistake of thinking "humorous" in a "venting" thread. :ermm:

Both subjects are "rant" level stuff. Y'all kind of proved my point yet methinks missed the point. But it's great that you don't sweat the small stuff!:blink:

Yes, the venting thread is meant for serious topics. For joking around, try this forum: Jokes and Games - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

I just found out via Facebook that one of the winners of the baking contest I entered recently apparently sells baked goods at the downtown farmer's market. i don't know if that's her full-time gig, but to my mind, someone who makes money from an activity is not an amateur. Contestants are supposed to be amateurs. I'm pretty aggravated about this. If it was my category, I would definitely say something, but since it's not, I'm not sure what to do. Just wanted to vent a bit.

I just found out via Facebook that one of the winners of the baking contest I entered recently apparently sells baked goods at the downtown farmer's market. i don't know if that's her full-time gig, but to my mind, someone who makes money from an activity is not an amateur. Contestants are supposed to be amateurs. I'm pretty aggravated about this. If it was my category, I would definitely say something, but since it's not, I'm not sure what to do. Just wanted to vent a bit.

Not right at all, GG! I'm with you on this one!

Had a similar thing happen last year. Entered a cooking contest and really had high hopes for my dish. When I went to drop off the dish, the woman who was the one checking in the entries, also had entered a dish. Guess who won? Right, not me, not the next person, but the woman checking us in. I'm not bothering this year, she's probably a shoe in to win this year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom