Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate auto-correct, as if it is not bad enough that I cannot spell or type, auto-correct makes it even worse.

never the less, my excuse of wanting it worked for me. Of course being a sucker that I am. I already told my wife. I'm sure she'll love it.

Oh, and Chanukkah is early this year, so I'm good. ;)

Charlie, you can turn off Auto-Correct. Select the Settings icon, then the General category. Scroll down to Keyboards and select it. Auto-correct is one of the options.

I'm not exactly terrible at spelling, but I depend on auto word checker out of sheer laziness. That feature is gradually eroding my spelling skills, no doubt. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hate autocorrect, so it's turned off on all my devices. Though there are many hilarious posts and faux pas using it on FB.

Last edited:
Unless I'm using normal everyday words and those that are already in my predictive text, this is what usually happens.... :ermm: :LOL:

Attachments

• autocorrect.jpg
    autocorrect.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Unless I'm using normal everyday words and those that are already in my predictive text, this is what usually happens.... :ermm: :LOL:

Sometimes I wanna yell at auto spell checker. "Spell checker...why do you keep suggesting hyphenating word corrections that I KNOW don't have a hyphen in them?" :mad: :glare:

Last edited:
For anyone who doesn't know about it yet, there are some hilarious auto corrections online. Just Google, "Damn You Auto Correct" or "DYAC". Warning, these are NSFW (Not Safe For Work, in other words, they can be rather coarse).

I had a boss who was such a slave to auto-correct that she told me my last name was spelled wrong when I spelled it for her. Auto-correct was trying to tell her how to spell it, I guess I am not an expert on my own name.

I had a boss who was such a slave to auto-correct that she told me my last name was spelled wrong when I spelled it for her. Auto-correct was trying to tell her how to spell it, I guess I am not an expert on my own name.

I would hate to see what it could do with my last name. I get some very weird corrections from AC. When I created my personal email address, I had to leave the last letters off. AC didn't like what my son entered for me. Then I got my first computer with AC, Spike entered all the last names of family members. Everyone but me married an Italian or Pole. :angel:

So glad to hear that. So save the other excuse for when you might need it. Insert "birthday", "anniversary" "St. Patricks Day", "Graduation Day for your child, for whatever occasion, etc. :angel:

?????? Thumbs up. (not sure if they show up in the thread).

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I am currently without my laptop. Friday morning I could not start it up so I got an appointment at the Apple Store. I was hoping it was a software issue so they could fix it on the spot. Sadly, it was not. My hard drive is shot and needs replacing.

As the laptop is over six years old, they no longer stock the part. They sent me to an authorized repair facility to get the work done. Waiting for a call back from That shop so I can take it in. Meanwhile, I'm making do with SO's iPad and my iPhone.

I have a backup that's about five days before the crash so that should be no issue. Not having access to vital documents in the interim is a pain. I should be working on the condo association's budget for 2016. All the key data is on that hard drive or my backup that I can't access.

This is the second hard drive failure I've had. The last one was about two years ago.

I am currently without my laptop. Friday morning I could not start it up so I got an appointment at the Apple Store. I was hoping it was a software issue so they could fix it on the spot. Sadly, it was not. My hard drive is shot and needs replacing.

As the laptop is over six years old, they no longer stock the part. They sent me to an authorized repair facility to get the work done. Waiting for a call back from That shop so I can take it in. Meanwhile, I'm making do with SO's iPad and my iPhone.

I have a backup that's about five days before the crash so that should be no issue. Not having access to vital documents in the interim is a pain. I should be working on the condo association's budget for 2016. All the key data is on that hard drive or my backup that I can't access.

This is the second hard drive failure I've had. The last one was about two years ago.

My sympathies Andy. Been there, done that. Lesson learned? Use a flash drive. :angel:

Had that happen when I was writing a term paper, it always seems to happen when you have something that needs done.

Our Internet and phone were out when we needed them for discussions on the house closing about a week ago.

We still have not closed on this house, I am suspecting a lot of foot dragging on the lending officer's part and every time I talk to him he sounds like he has been drinking.

I back up important files onto my external flash drive. I also back the same files up on those little thumb flash drives as well, just to be redundant, just in case.....because any of these flash drives can fail at any time.

Last edited:
Is there a way to boot your laptop from an external hard drive or CD/DVD? Is it possible to set that up for another time? I'm not familiar with Mac OS. I know you would be able to do it with Linux.

I back up important files onto my external flash drive. I also back the same files up on those little thumb flash drives as well, just to be redundant, just in case.....because any of these flash drives can fail at any time.

I've been backing up my computer to an external hard drive weekly for years. This was valuable two plus years ago when my original HD failed and I was able to restore with minimum data lost. That's not the issue. Without a working computer I can't access data I need. I won't have lost anything of significance, just time.

A flash drive without a computer to connect to is just a hunk of plastic and metal. It's the computer that has a problem, not the back up. Clearly Andy has been backing up his work, just like we all should, if it's important to you.

Wait a minute Andy, you guys only have one working computer in the house? :ohmy:

Okay, I know that my home isn't normal (we have at least five working computers), but still...

Back
Top Bottom