Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't get much done if I lived that close to an airport......I like watching the planes. Some of the larger planes fly right over my house and I usually head to the back porch for a look when I hear one........they fly low and slow. MedFlight is another frequent flyer in my area with a major trauma center nearby.

If I vented I could keep this thread going for a long time......I better hadn't get started.....:(

I can walk just five minutes and sit at the beach and watch them line up for takeoff. The first line up starts around 5 a.m. for the morning flights going to NY. Then again around noon. In the summer I go up there and sit doing my needlework. I live at the service end. It is where all the trucks carrying the freight go to unload. They even have a brand new road to get there.

The funny part is that as a kid, I used to ride my bike on the runways, and the tower was only two stories high. They used to yell at me to get off the runway because a plane wanted to land.

There is one runway that was closed many years ago after a long fight between the citizens and Massport. The only time it is used is when the President comes to Boston. One afternoon my son was standing on top of the bridge that brings you over to the beach. He heard a loud plane and looked up. It was Air Force One flying overhead just about 500 feet or less over him. Today, when he knows the President is coming, he makes it a point to be there waiting for that plane to come in. :angel:

I am so tired of folks asking me "how can you stand to live to close to the airport?" I live at the service end. I can walk to the end of my street, find myself standing on airport property and never hear an airplane.

Over the years we have fought back at Massport and won a lot of battles. Our building along with hundreds of others such as all our schools have been soundproofed by Massport. And only for severe wind conditions do planes fly over East Boston.

I will admit that private planes fly over. And they are so high, you can barely hear them. So now I need to find a polite answer to anyone else asking me "How can you stand living so close to the airport?" :angel:

I can't imagine anyone asking such a rude question, but if they did I would probably just respond with a blank stare and ask them why they would like to know. People live where they live, and sometimes there are few choices.

Sounds like you love your area though, Addie, and that's a good thing!

Last edited:
I am so tired of folks asking me "how can you stand to live to close to the airport?" I live at the service end. I can walk to the end of my street, find myself standing on airport property and never hear an airplane.

Over the years we have fought back at Massport and won a lot of battles. Our building along with hundreds of others such as all our schools have been soundproofed by Massport. And only for severe wind conditions do planes fly over East Boston.

I will admit that private planes fly over. And they are so high, you can barely hear them. So now I need to find a polite answer to anyone else asking me "How can you stand living so close to the airport?" :angel:

Just tell em "Ya grow where you're planted!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

images

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone asking such a rude question, but if they did I would probably just respond with a blank stare and ask them why they would like to know. People live where they live, and sometimes there are few choices.

Sounds like you love your area though, Addie, and that's a good thing!

I do Cheryl. Growing up here myself and then my kids, they will tell you they never had to leave their neighborhood for anything they wanted or needed. Five times I picked up and moved to other parts of the country. But I always came back. Very few non-Italians here growing up. My family was one of them. Today, it has become multi-national. I was looking at the obits. There was one of an Italian soldier from WWII. He had been a POW at the camp out on Wood Island Park and decided to stay when the war ended. We had a lot of them and now they are dying off. :angel:

Airport

We live a half mile from the airport I fly from. I can sit on my porch with my air band radio and watch and listen to the planes
west.jpg

Beautiful farmland you live in, Kay and Souschef. I love that coastal area of SoCal. :wub:

Last edited:
Glad to hear you'll be back among the easily wired soon, Andy. However did we survive before computer and internet? I seriously don't know...

... I usually head to the back porch for a look when I hear one........they fly low and slow. MedFlight is another frequent flyer in my area with a major trauma center nearby...
We have an all-glass sunroom off the back of our house - three walls and a ceiling of clear views (well, except for the support structures). When my bat-ears hearing picks up the sound of the LifeFlight chopper I usually head to the sunroom to look straight up and watch him fly overhead, saying a little prayer for the crew and passengers. However, when the wack-a-doodle a few streets over starts flying his little silver bumble bee (personal helicopter) in circles around and around and around :wacko: our neighborhood, I kinda wish looks could kill - or at least ground his danged flying noisebox.

I'm getting irritated with people dissing others posts. Say something nice, whether you like the idea or not. No need to say, "I don't do that!" How rude.

There is one runway that was closed many years ago after a long fight between the citizens and Massport. The only time it is used is when the President comes to Boston. One afternoon my son was standing on top of the bridge that brings you over to the beach. He heard a loud plane and looked up. It was Air Force One flying overhead just about 500 feet or less over him. Today, when he knows the President is coming, he makes it a point to be there waiting for that plane to come in. :angel:

Air Force One is an impressive sight. I had traded houses with one of my sons and was living SW of Columbus a few years ago. As I was sitting at my desk I could hear a large, low flying aircraft spooling the engines up and down. Naturally I went outside to have a look.....the neighbors were worried that it was going to crash. I told them there was little chance of that after I recognized it as AF 1......only the POTUS getting a view of the city while letting the citizens take a gander at the royal chariot.

Glad to hear you'll be back among the easily wired soon, Andy. However did we survive before computer and internet? I seriously don't know...

We have an all-glass sunroom off the back of our house - three walls and a ceiling of clear views (well, except for the support structures). When my bat-ears hearing picks up the sound of the LifeFlight chopper I usually head to the sunroom to look straight up and watch him fly overhead, saying a little prayer for the crew and passengers. However, when the wack-a-doodle a few streets over starts flying his little silver bumble bee (personal helicopter) in circles around and around and around :wacko: our neighborhood, I kinda wish looks could kill - or at least ground his danged flying noisebox.

Many times over the years I've thought about enclosing my back porch with glass.......12' X 28' with a roof. The roof provides some nice shade from the hot afternoon sun.......great place to have a nice cold beer..:yum:

VENT

I just restocked the bathroom vanity with a roll of toilet paper.....main supply is in the hall closet but I make sure there is a spare roll available for those who do not check the holder before having a seat. The girls have no problem retrieving the extra roll that is stocked in a strategic location but always fail to restock one for others. I guess they know grumpa has that pretty much under control........sometimes I am a nice guy.

VENT

I just restocked the bathroom vanity with a roll of toilet paper.....main supply is in the hall closet but I make sure there is a spare roll available for those who do not check the holder before having a seat. The girls have no problem retrieving the extra roll that is stocked in a strategic location but always fail to restock one for others. I guess they know grumpa has that pretty much under control........sometimes I am a nice guy.

It has been my experience that people learn quicker if you allow them to run out every once in a while. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
It has been my experience that people learn quicker if you allow them to run out every once in a while. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I can't stand the forlorn cries emanating from the bathroom........:LOL:. I constantly remind the g-kids of self reliance and thinking ahead but get 0 support from the parents.......I sound like a broken record. Getting them to keep their dirty laundry in a specific location is impossible......unless one considers the entire house and the yard as a specific location.....:ermm:

I can't stand the forlorn cries emanating from the bathroom........:LOL:. I constantly remind the g-kids of self reliance and thinking ahead but get 0 support from the parents.......I sound like a broken record. Getting them to keep their dirty laundry in a specific location is impossible......unless one considers the entire house and the yard as a specific location.....:ermm:

Trust me. It works. Go outside and you won't hear them. They will find themselves checking the supply on hand before they sit down.

And their dirty laundry? Create a new place for it. Under their bed. Come laundry day, their clothing will not get done. When they are looking for that special top and it is under their bed dirty, remind them where the laundry should have gone to get washed. When I started doing that and making them wash the item out by hand, they started to get the message. Kids fail to get the message unless it affects them directly.

By the time they are fifteen, they are old enough to be responsible for most of their own direct needs. Check the paper holder. Empty? Take a roll in with you and take it with you when you are through. Keep it in your room. If they tell you it is not their job to keep a roll on the holder, remind them it is not your job to wipe their backside either. They will learn very quickly. :angel:

If Infanticide were legal I would be committing it today. Spike has a bad cold. :wacko: Thank you Spike for sharing it with me. :angel:

By the time I was 15, I was doing the family laundry. Sometimes out of my own pocket. I was so glad when one of mom's friends gave us a washer and dryer.
Oh and on that topic, when I was 17 I accidentally left a pair of panties at a friend's house. The next time I saw them, her mother was wearing them. Her statement, you left, I liked, I keep.
So to those with teenagers, make them do their own laundry.

Beautiful farmland you live in, Kay and Souschef. I love that coastal area of SoCal. :wub:

Thanks Cheryl..we do love it here. The SousChef didn't mention, our airport is only for small panes that are so interesting to watch, and they can't fly at night as there's no runway lights. He needs to be home by sundown.:ohmy: I love when he flies over and waves the wings to me. Here's some interesting history of our lovely little historic airport. The sundown picture shows the Channel Islands off the coast, and the river when it had water in it.

History

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom