"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #121
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What a PITA it is to just get dressed in the morning. I never wear more than one layer of clothes all year long here. There, I had on nearly a weeks worth of clothes everyday and looked and felt like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. You folks sure have a lot of weekly laundry to deal with....sheesh!
And you better make sure you got to the bathroom BEFORE you get dressed. Makes potty stops interesting.

Welcome Home, Kayelle!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #122
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm all excited, I got a special delivery from California of some Meyer Lemons. Kayelle sent them to me, from her YARD!. Alix's Lemon cake....
Wow, you planted a seed there Fiona!! I searched for Alix's recipe, found it, bought lemons and eggs and flour....now I just have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to make it so someone else is here to eat it besides just myself!! I am dying to make this! I may drop some poppyseeds in, too. What I like about the recipe is that it only makes an 8 x 8 size cake. Not so much to be tempted by as it will not last too long.

I'm now trying to figure out if my poppy seeds are fresh enough to use. I can't remember when I bought them (maybe a year ago??), but have kept them in the fridge.

Anyway....happy vent over!

Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #123
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Wow, you planted a seed there Fiona!! I searched for Alix's recipe, found it, bought lemons and eggs and flour....now I just have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to make it so someone else is here to eat it besides just myself!! I am dying to make this! I may drop some poppyseeds in, too. What I like about the recipe is that it only makes an 8 x 8 size cake. Not so much to be tempted by as it will not last too long.

I'm now trying to figure out if my poppy seeds are fresh enough to use. I can't remember when I bought them (maybe a year ago??), but have kept them in the fridge.

Anyway....happy vent over!
I had to wait until this weekend for much the same reason. Shrek was on a medical fast last weekend...so it's lemon cake for us this week. BEFORE I get the bad news on what I am allowed to eat.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #124
Senior Cook

Quote:
I had to wait until this weekend for much the same reason. Shrek was on a medical fast last weekend...so it's lemon cake for us this week. BEFORE I get the bad news on what I am allowed to eat.
I hope the news isn't as bad as you think. We should all be allowed reasonable amounts of goodies.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #125
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I hope the news isn't as bad as you think. We should all be allowed reasonable amounts of goodies.
First, I'm a nurse and have taken lots of nutrition classes. Second, I'm a nurse, I have "counseled" many people with various health problems on what they can and can't eat. Third...I know the MD and Dietician running the class...there will be lots of denial and temper tantrums. AND lastly...I already bought the cookbooks...waaahhhhhh!!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #126
Master Chef

I'm doing Alix's lemon bars this weekend....they are identical to my recipe, and also worthy of Meyer lemons. Yummy....lemon goodies all around at DC this weekend!

You're sure right about this, PF......
Quote:
And you better make sure you got to the bathroom BEFORE you get dressed. Makes potty stops interesting.

Welcome Home, Kayelle!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #127
Senior Cook

Quote:
First, I'm a nurse and have taken lots of nutrition classes. Second, I'm a nurse, I have "counseled" many people with various health problems on what they can and can't eat. Third...I know the MD and Dietician running the class...there will be lots of denial and temper tantrums. AND lastly...I already bought the cookbooks...waaahhhhhh!!!!
Do they have good recipes in them?? I'm looking for a cookbook with lighter recipes. I am going to try to find this one: The Most Decadent Diet Ever by Devin Alexander. It was recommended by a friend on a diet forum I belong use.

Kayelle-I've heard of Meyer lemons and have never had them. What is the difference between those and regular lemons at the grocery store?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #128
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Do they have good recipes in them?? I'm looking for a cookbook with lighter recipes. I am going to try to find this one: The Most Decadent Diet Ever by Devin Alexander. It was recommended by a friend on a diet forum I belong use.

Kayelle-I've heard of Meyer lemons and have never had them. What is the difference between those and regular lemons at the grocery store?
I bought the American Heart Association Cookbooks. The Regular one and one of each Lowfat and Low Salt. I also got the DASH Diet cookbook. These are what the Dietician will be using to teach us.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

Welcome Home, Kayelle!
There's a reason I don't wear coveralls. Actually there is a story that goes with that. It involved driving over 100 miles to the only rest stop in a provincial park in northern Quebec in winter. There's enough country girl in me that I don't mind going behind a bush, but the idea of taking off my jacket to get the overalls down was simply unbearable. Brrrrr
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #130
Master Chef

Quote:

Annie,
The Meyer lemon flesh is a light orange-yellow color, with juice sweeter than that of most lemons, but is not often commercially cultivated. The main reason for this is its thin skin, which makes the Improved Meyer Lemon difficult to ship safely.It is a cross between a type of orange, and a lemon.

Introduced to the United States (from China) in the early twentieth century, it was discovered by Frank N. Meyer, who was on assignment from the USDA as an agricultural explorer.
Since we live in the Heritage Valley they call the lemon capital of the world, we planted our tree in the ground, but many people grow them in patio pots. After doing some research, I see that most everyone can have a tree of their own. Check out this site. Meyer Lemon Trees - Buy Indoor Lemon Trees for Sale

Taxlady........I SOO understand.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote