"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #221
Chef Extraordinaire

Monkey off my back!!! I made the last payment to the lawyer to get rid of my business partner on Thursday. Oh, what a relief...$22K later. Finally! Monkey off my back!!!! I worked hard to stash the cash.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Congratulations!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #223
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yea!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. I learned a lot about being thrifty, doing without, and all kinds of other things while stashing that cash--amazing how much $ you can put aside if you have to...Not to brag, but over 1/2 of that was put aside since March 2011. I am now treating myself to the cheeses I could not justify....I have Havarti! The things you do without...

I probably should say that the law firm put a foreclosure writ against the house I own--which is why I live at the farm--it is paid for--and the tenants would pay the mortgage while I scrambled for the money--so by paying off the debt, the writ goes away. My DH and I keep separate financial lives--my mistake <g>. I need that house for my retirement--it's what I'll sell to go in a home.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #225
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

WooHoo!!! Finally I can access Yahoo from firefox! Yahoo has been trying to force me to "try" their new format and gave me a terrible time getting to use my old version. I finally gave in and after checking my emails on IE, checked again to see if I could access it from Firefox. TA-DA, it works now! Good thing too, because the flashing ads on IE were driving me nuts, especially when I've got loads of mail to read.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #226
Head Chef

I have had two very good days. Yesterday I got all of the cupboards in my new kitchen beautifully lined and they are already to accept anything I want to put in them. Now I know that doesn't sound like much to most of you but 15 years ago I married dh and moved into his bachelor quarters. Now he hates change and I have never been allowed to make the place our own. The whole house is so poorly organized that it has driven me crazy and I have been embarrassed to have people over because he hates it when I clean because he is afraid I will throw something away. (Don't get me wrong, everyday sort of cleaning is okay but I can only deep clean when he is away and he never goes away anywhere.) Well, now we have purchased a house and before we move in I am going to have that house so clean it squeaks. All that to say that it has taken over two weeks but the new kitchen shines like a new penny and putting the shelf liner in the cupboards made me feel so like a woman. It was just right. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed it. Before we bought the house I made dh promise that I could organize the place so that it makes sense with things that are used often close at hand and things that are seldom used out of sight. Now all of that is happening. I'm just so pleased about that.
As I said, the kitchen has taken me over two weeks what with scrubbing and painting every inch of it including inside all of the cupboards. The entire rest of the house needs painted too and that has had to wait until I got the kitchen right. But today a friend came over and together we taped off the woodwork in five rooms so they are ready for the primer. Then when she left dh and I primed three rooms, well really two because one of the rooms had to be done twice. I feel like I have gotten so much accomplished in the last two days...finally. The house is beginning to show some progress. Tomorrow I hope to at least be able to prime the livingroom and get a coat of color on the master bedroom. I didn't even feel this happy on the day we closed on the house. It's a good day.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #227
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I have had two very good days. It's a good day.
I'm so glad you are feeling like things are getting accomplished. It's a long haul but worth it! Have more fun!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #228
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Wow, woman, what an accomplishment! Sounds like a lot of work, but I am so happy for you closing in on your dream!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #229
Chef Extraordinaire

finally, finally. a sewing day that went well. got the bodice put together. thank goodness. now tomorrow will make the lining and put in the sleeves. good to know i am not a complete idiot.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #230
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
finally, finally. a sewing day that went well. got the bodice put together. thank goodness. now tomorrow will make the lining and put in the sleeves. good to know i am not a complete idiot.
Yay Babe! we knew you could do it! So frustratng when it doesn't go the way you want it.