"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #231
Chef Extraordinaire

monday and tuesday will be exciting days. the gas and electric is installing, a new refrigerator, new hot water heater and new air conditioning. and it is all free. it is a program that they are doing to help lower the bills of the elderly and poor. well you really don't have to be elderly, just poor. and i certainly qualify. it will be interesting to see if the bill does go down in any significant way. i am totally jazzed. dare i be greedy and ask for new stove and dishwasher? probably not!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #232
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
monday and tuesday will be exciting days. the gas and electric is installing, a new refrigerator, new hot water heater and new air conditioning. and it is all free. it is a program that they are doing to help lower the bills of the elderly and poor. well you really don't have to be elderly, just poor. and i certainly qualify. it will be interesting to see if the bill does go down in any significant way. i am totally jazzed. dare i be greedy and ask for new stove and dishwasher? probably not!

I say work it girl!

It is good for you and it is good for the economy. These programs create many jobs.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #233
Executive Chef

My husband is the awesomest of the awesomeness! Seriously and for real y'all! OK, so, Rol was working on the house and asked if since I was running to the store anyway, could I stop by the post office and pick up the package he's been waiting for. I didn't really want to but knew it was stuff he'd ordered for the house and that he needed. So I told him yeah, but under mild protest. He just shook his head and laughed and told me it would be worth it. I of course assumed he was talking about getting the house ready for the move, and because he knows me so well, he knew I'd assume that.

So I get home with the box and he opens it and starts pulling things out. I was playing with my phone and not really paying attention when he taps me on the knee and says, "Here, this part's for you." I look and he's holding a copy of COOKING FOR GEEKS! Eeeeeee! Of course I had to jump at him and half tackle half hug him because I so was not expecting it and have been telling everyone in my family that it was on my Christmas list ever since Princess Fi told us all about it. I mean, I'd looked for snippets online from it to see if it was as cool as it sounded and was sold with the whole making an ice cream machine out of Leggos bit.

So yeah, hurray for totally amazing husbands who buy wicked sweet books for their wives!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #234
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
My husband is the awesomest of the awesomeness! Seriously and for real y'all! OK, so, Rol was working on the house and asked if since I was running to the store anyway, could I stop by the post office and pick up the package he's been waiting for. I didn't really want to but knew it was stuff he'd ordered for the house and that he needed. So I told him yeah, but under mild protest. He just shook his head and laughed and told me it would be worth it. I of course assumed he was talking about getting the house ready for the move, and because he knows me so well, he knew I'd assume that.

So I get home with the box and he opens it and starts pulling things out. I was playing with my phone and not really paying attention when he taps me on the knee and says, "Here, this part's for you." I look and he's holding a copy of COOKING FOR GEEKS! Eeeeeee! Of course I had to jump at him and half tackle half hug him because I so was not expecting it and have been telling everyone in my family that it was on my Christmas list ever since Princess Fi told us all about it. I mean, I'd looked for snippets online from it to see if it was as cool as it sounded and was sold with the whole making an ice cream machine out of Leggos bit.

So yeah, hurray for totally amazing husbands who buy wicked sweet books for their wives!
Wow! Sweeeet! It is loads of fun, just to read!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #235
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I went to the Dr yesterday for my 6 month check up and got great news. Not only have I lost 30 lbs since April ( I knew that) but my blood test results show everything "right down the middle" and he said my HDL/ LDL and Triglyceride levels were really good! Yaaaaaa!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #236
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD
I went to the Dr yesterday for my 6 month check up and got great news. Not only have I lost 30 lbs since April ( I knew that) but my blood test results show everything "right down the middle" and he said my HDL/ LDL and Triglyceride levels were really good! Yaaaaaa!!!!!
Fantastic, DaveSo!!! And 30 lbs too!!!

Shopping trip time.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #237
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Fantastic, DaveSo!!! And 30 lbs too!!!

Shopping trip time.
Thanks!!!

I've been having to pick up some new stuff along the way and that has been a great motivator to keep going.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #238
Chef Extraordinaire

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Will you share your secrets?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #239
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Yea!!! It's nice to get good news.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #240
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Will you share your secrets?
No secrets really, but I'll tell you what I have been doing.

I walk every morning before work, about 1.5 miles around the neighborhood. It takes me about 35 minutes, so not too fast but not to slow.

I also walk after work, usually try for another 1.5 miles that includes taking the dog or dogs for walks. During the summer I sometimes walked 3 miles after work.

I cut out almost all soda and soft drinks. I'll have one occasionally, maybe every few weeks or if I'm out. I drink water, unsweetened tea, coffee, and 100% fruit juice. Oh and I use milk in my coffee, not those "creamers".

I cut WAY back snacking at night. I used to have ice cream or a dessert every night and then chips or something else as a snack. Now those are special treats. I haven't given them up, just maybe once or twice a week and only one thing (if I have dessert, not snacking later).

I started paying close attention to portion/serving sizes. I started out measuring everything so that now I can eyeball them better when I am plating up my meals.

I do eat 3 meals a day and drink lots of water.

We never bought a lot of the processed foods/meals anyway and budget-wise we have limited eating out / take out food to a few times a month so those weren't a problem. Oh, I do try to have a salad almost every night with dinner.

So except for the soda, I really didn't completely cut out anything. I still eat almost all of the same foods I always did, just smaller amounts and more realistic proportions. I didn't go low-fat, or low-carb, or anything else. Well, I do use 2% milk, but I still cook with cream and butter if the recipe calls for it, use mayonnaise, salad dressings, eat cheese, etc.