Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bakechef,
I too wish you both much happines in life. To me marriage is just another word. One that many think is theirs alone. WRONG it belongs to everyone me,you, those we know and love. So May you both be happy in your forth coming union marrige! Enjoy and be happy together.
kadesma

Congratulations Bakechef. Massachusetts led the way. And now state by state attitudes are changing. It is heartbreaking when a gay couple have been together for eons, and when of them passes away, the other has no rights. That is so wrong. I wish the two of you long happy years together. We want to see pics of the wedding. :clap::clap::flowers::flowers: :angel:

Back in the late 50's when my son Spike was born, I had a girlfriend I went to school with. She was gay and one day her partner was attacked and raped. As a result she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy just a few days apart from Spike at the same hospital. She had to go to work to support her son as the man who attacked her was now in prison. I offered to babysit for her. When I had to go out, I put the both of them in the same carriage. When folks would stop to look at them I would tell them that the babies were twins. I got some horrified looks. One had big blue eyes and blond fuzz on his head, the other was black. Did I mention that my girlfriend's partner was black and she was white? The two of them were breaking ground on two levels at that time. Civil Rights had not become a major issue in the country yet. About five years later my girlfriend committed suicide. She just couldn't stand up anymore to all the problems the two of them faced on a daily basis. A year later, the mother followed her partner. I was babysitting her son when the cops came to my door to pick up the baby and gave me the news.

A year later I got a beautiful enormous bouquet of flowers and an eloquent note from the baby's grandparents thanking me for all I had done for their daughter and accepting her as she was. We kept in touch for the next coule of years. They even sent me pictures of baby Walter. My son's twin.

I told ya, I just luv to shake folks up and make them think. And they sure did when they looked into that carriage and I told them that the babies were twins. :angel:

Addie said:
Back in the late 50's when my son Spike was born, I had a girlfriend I went to school with. She was gay and one day her partner was attacked and raped. As a result she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy just a few days apart from Spike at the same hospital. She had to go to work to support her son as the man who attacked her was now in prison. I offered to babysit for her. When I had to go out, I put the both of them in the same carriage. When folks would stop to look at them I would tell them that the babies were twins. I got some horrified looks. One had big blue eyes and blond fuzz on his head, the other was black. Did I mention that my girlfriend's partner was black and she was white? The two of them were breaking ground on two levels at that time. Civil Rights had not become a major issue in the country yet. About five years later my girlfriend committed suicide. She just couldn't stand up anymore to all the problems the two of them faced on a daily basis. A year later, the mother followed her partner. I was babysitting her son when the cops came to my door to pick up the baby and gave me the news.

A year later I got a beautiful enormous bouquet of flowers and an eloquent note from the baby's grandparents thanking me for all I had done for their daughter and accepting her as she was. We kept in touch for the next coule of years. They even sent me pictures of baby Walter. My son's twin.

I told ya, I just luv to shake folks up and make them think. And they sure did when they looked into that carriage and I told them that the babies were twins. :angel:

Wow.... Love it.... Sorry to hear about your friends... But i applaud you

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind words. You are never sure of the reaction, even here in 2012.

My family is so excited. I only wish this could have happened sooner, my dad loved Rob like his own son.

As far as the cake, I have someone in mind up in Maine, she is the one that taught me to decorate cakes years ago, she is so talented. If that doesn't work out, I'll seek out some giant whoopie pies, lol!

Maine is where I grew up. We weren't planning on going back up for a couple of years, but this has changed things a bit.

Again, it is great to know that friends as DC have my back.

Addie said:

After knowing someone like that, doesn't it baffle you that many will still call it a "choice"? Who would choose a life of torment?

Having a straight ally like you in the 50s, was such a rare thing. But after getting to know you a bit, you are a rare breed indeed!

Now we need to help you plan the reception menu, Bakechef. I hope it might include Maine lobster!

Last edited:
Now we need to help you plan the reception menu, Bakechef. I hope it might include Maine lobster!

We have to meet somewhere between, me wanting to go to a courthouse and him wanting a ceremony and reception...

There could be lobster involved, I don't eat any seafood, but many do, and if it is as cheap as it was last summer, it could be a possibility. That, and I know people who pull them out of the sea, so a good deal is almost guaranteed!

oh man, bakechef, a maine lobster connection like yours would be worth a king's ransom! only it's a real tragedy that you can't/won't be partaking of seafood yourself.... :(

After knowing someone like that, doesn't it baffle you that many will still call it a "choice"? Who would choose a life of torment?

Having a straight ally like you in the 50s, was such a rare thing. But after getting to know you a bit, you are a rare breed indeed!

I didn't care about the gay part, it was the fact that it was a black and white relationship that got me. I lived in a neighborhood where blacks were rarely seen. and it pi**ed me off big time. My girlfriend was white. Her partner was black and they went through the tortures of h*ll. Then when word got out that they were gay, it just got worse. My girlfriend was generous to a fault. Her partner was so gentle and soft spoken. You couldn't help but like both of them. And why take out your nasty attitude on a baby? When someone would point out to me that the baby was black, I would respond with some well chosen words. :angel:

We have to meet somewhere between, me wanting to go to a courthouse and him wanting a ceremony and reception...

There could be lobster involved, I don't eat any seafood, but many do, and if it is as cheap as it was last summer, it could be a possibility. That, and I know people who pull them out of the sea, so a good deal is almost guaranteed!

You could have both. A courthouse ceremony with a small reception for family and close friends. You don't want to deny them a chance to celebrate with you. And it is a big occassion. And make sure you invite your lobsterman to the reception. You might just get that lobster free as a wedding present. :angel:

Last edited:
When I woke up this morning I realized I was out of an absolutely necessary thing.

Fortunately, there is a store open 24 hours nearby so a $6 cab ride - one way.

It was my own fault that I hadn’t remembered to get that item the last time I was there, but, I just had enough cash to pay for my round trip and still have enough left for my next shopping trip.

I discovered that making positive that I always end up with cash for my next cab trip has made my life much easier. Yes, it upsets my sense of thrift to pay $12 to buy a $2 item, but it also suits my sense of justice. It’s MY fault I had to take a $12 cab ride.

So overall feeling? I actually feel really good. It was so nice to realize that I could splurge and get the necessary item.

Even if I had no cash, I could get some at the ATM, but it made me feel really good that I saved $2.95!

Hoping that this doesn't cause controversy on this site (oh how I wish that I didn't have to preface this post with that!)

Maine has voted for marriage equality. My partner and I have been together for almost 9 years and we have decided to go to my home state next year and tie the knot! Although our current state of residence will still see us as "just friends", I hope that will too change some day soon!

Just wanted to share this with a lot of people that I consider friends here at DC.

Boy, am I ever late to the party! Sorry I missed this back in November, bc. May I add my congrats to your upcoming nuptials, wherever they end up taking place. Joy, joy! :)

Thanks, these posts mean a lot!:)
So glad to be able to say Congratulations to you and Rob. May you both be happy and may life bring you both all the good things you deserve. Happiness always.
kades

i'm Still Smiling.:):):)...i may be smiling all day about an observation made, in a still moment of clarity, by tin (tinlizzie) in another thread, 'don't you feel like we are talking in nonsense sentences these days, that sound a lot like lewis carroll's writings, "twas brilling...." when we say things like, "note to self: 'google keurig on amazon....' in our everyday-speak....:)

take a few minutes and look at all of the "nonsense" words we use, quite unconsciously, every day. try making a list--see how many you can come up with....:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom