"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #441
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm now hunting for some free OCR software. Any suggestions?
Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro will do OCR. (recheck to make sure)
Each of these cost $200-$400. Not the free edition.

Hopefully you'll find something less expensive.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #442
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I recently bought Office 2003 because it will do some things that OO.o won't. I make lots of forms, and in Open Office it doesn't recognize lines and said there wasn't anything on the page(!) so it wouldn't print it unless I added at least one letter at the beginning and again at the end.

I tried the later versions of Office, but I didn't like the many weird icons and spent most of my time trying to find what I wanted.

I'm glad you're happy with it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #443
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I have finally reached a point where I can say Yipeee. I've had a long hard struggle learning to walk again getting by memory loss the stroke that caused all this the kidney failure. I put on shoes today I haven't been able to wear in 2 years, plus a pair of heels not spikes mind you but about 2 inches wow I feel so good. my weight has gone back to normal and I have reached my goal of size 6 I'm going to my grandson's 6 grade graduation tomorrow then taking him to lunch along with my daughter, other grandson and my very special DH, and I'll be able to navagate the walf without the walker My eyes will be finished on 14 of June and Then in several days I'll be able to drive again. Ahhh life feels so good. I'm so happy just to be here but this is like the frosting on the cake. To all of you here thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulnes. My DC family is os sprcial to me. Hugs to all of you.
kades
Kadesma, I know I am a little bit late. This is such great news. I am so happy for you. Coming back from a serious illness is a lot of hard work. I know. I have been there. Something so simple like putting on a pair of normal shoes is a BIG step. When my son got married, I went from the wheelchair to 1.5 inch heels and danced all night at his wedding. I felt like I was on stilts. And all I wanted was to dance just five steps with my son. I am at a loss for words to telliing you how happy I am for you. You are making such great strides in your recovery. Good luck honey. You deserve it.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #444
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Kadesma, I know I am a little bit late. This is such great news. I am so happy for you. Coming back from a serious illness is a lot of hard work. I know. I have been there. Something so simple like putting on a pair of normal shoes is a BIG step. When my son got married, I went from the wheelchair to 1.5 inch heels and danced all night at his wedding. I felt like I was on stilts. And all I wanted was to dance just five steps with my son. I am at a loss for words to telliing you how happy I am for you. You are making such great strides in your recovery. Good luck honey. You deserve it.
Late is good Thank you for the nice post. It's so nice to have friends who care.
kades
Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #445
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Yesterday we went out to dinner with an acquaintance I haven't seen in a few years. The topic of student demonstrations came up. (The students in Montreal have been demonstrating for the past three months against tuition increases.) I said I agreed with the students. He said that I should wait until I was 50 and got cynical, like him.

50! Hah! I just turned 62.
Whoa! You look over 12 years younger! Fantastic!

What's your secret?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #446
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Whoa! You look over 12 years younger! Fantastic!

What's your secret?
NO KIDS!!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #447
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

NO KIDS!!!!
hard to escape 'em in my line of work! Oh, you mean your own personal kids...

I was thinking the good Scandanavian genes had something to do with it!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #448
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I was going with the Scandinavian genes...
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #449
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Yes, the personal kids that put all those lines in your face from telling them to stop....
Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #450
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis Changes Lives View Post
I'm the 43 year old daughter of elderly patents and an aunt in Australia. I also help them and their friends get the help they is rightfully theirs. My dad recently diagnosed with lung cancer was paying to travel the 800kms to and from the major hospital for tests. I took him and mum to see the hospital social worker ( dad said he didn't want charity, I said ******** that's what you paid high taxes for your whole working life). Between the social worker and I they now have free transport and accommodation when having to go to Sydney for tests and treatment and she also arranged a food voucher to see them they to their next pension. I would have helped them financially too but my husband has been on chemo and a bone marrow transplant so we r only just making ends meet, or nearly meet ourselves. I cannot understand my sister and brothers they also have the attitude that mum n dad don't deserve the 'handouts'. Dad and mum both worked their assess off all their working lives and paid their taxes so they and other elderly deserve our respect and as much help as we can give them. Well done Addy I'm sure those people really appreciate what you are doing.
People like you & Addie are angels that are put on this earth to help people. Good for the both of you!! You are earning your wings here.