"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #451
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
People like you & Addie are angels that are put on this earth to help people. Good for the both of you!! You are earning your wings here.
Thank you. I do what I do because there is a need and other will not and can not step up to do it.

And now on a happy note. For all our Canadian friends. The Canadian Mounted Police will serve for one week in honor of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Aniversary as "The Queen's Life Guards" guarding the entrance to the Palace. They were invited by Queen Elizabeth herself to serve. The Sovereign's personal body guard, known today as the Queen's Life Guard, have been guarding the ceremonial entrance to the Royal residence since the 17th Century.

Congratulations Canadians. You have to be proud. That is quite an honor.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #452
Chef Extraordinaire

my granddaughter and her fiancÚ found a place to live today. so they won't be staying with me anymore. they will be paying $600 for a converted garage. that is the rental situation in so calif. they are thrilled so i am thrilled for them. their staying here for a month and me feeding them was a help. they need money for all the 1st, deposits that go with moving in somewhere. it is very close to his work and that will cut down on the gas expenses. hard for kids these days.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #453
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hard for us not kids, too. I pay the same rents that a pack of college students would pay. Rent is based on what a landlord can make off 2 students for each bedroom. So I pay $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment. It was only $450 12 years ago and is still one of the cheapest rents in town.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #454
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
my granddaughter and her fiancÚ found a place to live today. so they won't be staying with me anymore. they will be paying $600 for a converted garage. that is the rental situation in so calif. they are thrilled so i am thrilled for them. their staying here for a month and me feeding them was a help. they need money for all the 1st, deposits that go with moving in somewhere. it is very close to his work and that will cut down on the gas expenses. hard for kids these days.
You are so right babe. Most rentals here want first month, last month and a month's rent for security. If the rent is $1,000 or more a month, that is often more than they earn in a month. And they want it all at the same time. No time payments allowed. In the meantime, they are trying to save and still have some money to live on. Even two incomes is often not enough to get them started on their way.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #455
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Whoa! You look over 12 years younger! Fantastic!

What's your secret?
I think PF is right, that it is mostly that I don't have any children. No worry/aggravation lines. I think it may also be the Saami genes. Maybe it's 'cause I am careful about what food I eat. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:00 AM   #456
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hard for us not kids, too. I pay the same rents that a pack of college students would pay. Rent is based on what a landlord can make off 2 students for each bedroom. So I pay $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment. It was only $450 12 years ago and is still one of the cheapest rents in town.
I am in the same situation where I live !

I am not sure what the next step will be, I can't move in with my parents!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #457
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I am in the same situation where I live !

I am not sure what the next step will be, I can't move in with my parents!
If it weren't for Elderly Housing, I would have to move in with one of my kids.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #458
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If it weren't for Elderly Housing, I would have to move in with one of my kids.
I don't have any kids, I need to begin looking at housing options for seniors.

I also need to start getting rid of "stuff".

The less options you have the lighter you need to travel.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #459
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Low income housing gave me back a life. In Florida I was paying $400 a month to rent a bedroom in someone's house. No privacy, and not much money left over, not to mention their bad mannered pets.

Now I pay $210 for a nice one bedroom apartment that's all mine, and money left over to shop for pretty much whatever I want (I'm low maintenance.)

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #460
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I don't have any kids, I need to begin looking at housing options for seniors.

I also need to start getting rid of "stuff".

The less options you have the lighter you need to travel.
If the elderly housing in your area is federally sponsored, you need to be 55 y.o. So since most elderly housing has a waiting list, I would suggest you apply right now if you are within six months of 55. Most elderly housing is a studio apartment. There is an income limit. You can look it up on your computer. Your rent is one-third of your income and usually includes utilities such as heat, electricity, full bath and hot water along with AC. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer your questions.