"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #501
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow!!! What a find. I am so happy for you.

Being from Boston, when I hear "Craig's List", you know what I think of.... Glad this one turned out to be a happy thought.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #502
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Wow!!! What a find. I am so happy for you.

Being from Boston, when I hear "Craig's List", you know what I think of.... Glad this one turned out to be a happy thought.
I did read about the craigs list killer story in Boston--it's like any magazine, store, street--people can be dangerous anywhere.

The biggest complaint I hear about craigs list is that people say they will come pick something up and then never show up, and that there are so many scam responses they have to sort through.
This was just a good thing for them and for me.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #503
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a friend that uses Craigslist often. He even sold a car for $24,000, far more than a dealer was willing to give for a trade.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #504
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I did read about the craigs list killer story in Boston--it's like any magazine, store, street--people can be dangerous anywhere.

The biggest complaint I hear about craigs list is that people say they will come pick something up and then never show up, and that there are so many scam responses they have to sort through.
This was just a good thing for them and for me.
Just a footnote to his story. His then fiance' is now happily married and has gone one with her life. They were only a few days away from their society wedding.

My SIL often sells things on Craig's List and has made some good money. Also one of the daughter's of a resident here, makes her living selling on ebay and Craig's List. The buyer also has to come to her to get their stuff. Although she does mail from ebay as long as the funds are there. She only accepts PayPal. For pickups, it has to be cash. Smart woman. She had her learning curve when she first started.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #505
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have a friend that uses Craigslist often. He even sold a car for $24,000, far more than a dealer was willing to give for a trade.
When my SIL had to retire due to medical disabilities, he sold all of his equipment for welding on Craig's List. Some kid that was looking to break into the union bought it all at a profit for SIL. That kid is now in classes that my SIL teaches for the union. He helped the kid get in. One of his best students. A real success story for everyone.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #506
Master Chef

To reduce clutter I've been selling a lot of stuff on Craigslist these past several months. I've sold a few of my classical guitars and several custom built bicycles, including lots of bike parts and accessories I've accumulated over the last couple of decades. I've been getting top $$ on some some vintage and hard-to-find components.
I try not to transact business at home as I don't like to give out my home address, but instead have them meet me at my place of business during regular business hours. That has worked out well for me. Just too many weirdos out there.

I told my wife that I did not want to leave her with all my toys when I died. She would have no idea how to price them for sale.

Here's one of my current ads if anyone's interested in a mountain bike:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...079646970.html
Old 06-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #507
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
To reduce clutter I've been selling a lot of stuff on Craigslist these past several months. I've sold a few of my classical guitars and several custom built bicycles, including lots of bike parts and accessories I've accumulated over the last couple of decades. I've been getting top $$ on some some vintage and hard-to-find components.
I try not to transact business at home as I don't like to give out my home address, but instead have them meet me at my place of business during regular business hours. That has worked out well for me. Just too many weirdos out there.

I told my wife that I did not want to leave her with all my toys when I died. She would have no idea how to price them for sale.

Here's one of my current ads if anyone's interested in a mountain bike:

Classic DEAN Colonel mountain bike full XT
My would you sell a bike with no pedals?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #508
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Why would you sell a bike with no pedals?
If you're into bikes you'd understand the logic behind that. Pedals are very personal. You take them with you from bike to bike. That also applies to bike saddles.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #509
Executive Chef

Just a little over a week and my baby sister and her family will be moving not just to the same town I'm in, but to the same appartment complex! I'm getting so excited to see them all.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #510
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ogre in the house, Ogre in the house!