"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #621
Chef Extraordinaire

bakechef,
I too wish you both much happines in life. To me marriage is just another word. One that many think is theirs alone. WRONG it belongs to everyone me,you, those we know and love. So May you both be happy in your forth coming union marrige! Enjoy and be happy together.
kadesma

Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #622
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Congratulations Bakechef! It's been a long time coming.

Who's making your cake?

Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #623
Chef Extraordinaire

Congratulations Bakechef. Massachusetts led the way. And now state by state attitudes are changing. It is heartbreaking when a gay couple have been together for eons, and when of them passes away, the other has no rights. That is so wrong. I wish the two of you long happy years together. We want to see pics of the wedding.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #624
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Who's making your cake?
Hmmmm. Bake. Chef.

Scratches head.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #625
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the late 50's when my son Spike was born, I had a girlfriend I went to school with. She was gay and one day her partner was attacked and raped. As a result she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy just a few days apart from Spike at the same hospital. She had to go to work to support her son as the man who attacked her was now in prison. I offered to babysit for her. When I had to go out, I put the both of them in the same carriage. When folks would stop to look at them I would tell them that the babies were twins. I got some horrified looks. One had big blue eyes and blond fuzz on his head, the other was black. Did I mention that my girlfriend's partner was black and she was white? The two of them were breaking ground on two levels at that time. Civil Rights had not become a major issue in the country yet. About five years later my girlfriend committed suicide. She just couldn't stand up anymore to all the problems the two of them faced on a daily basis. A year later, the mother followed her partner. I was babysitting her son when the cops came to my door to pick up the baby and gave me the news.

A year later I got a beautiful enormous bouquet of flowers and an eloquent note from the baby's grandparents thanking me for all I had done for their daughter and accepting her as she was. We kept in touch for the next coule of years. They even sent me pictures of baby Walter. My son's twin.

I told ya, I just luv to shake folks up and make them think. And they sure did when they looked into that carriage and I told them that the babies were twins.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #626
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Back in the late 50's when my son Spike was born, I had a girlfriend I went to school with. She was gay and one day her partner was attacked and raped. As a result she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy just a few days apart from Spike at the same hospital. She had to go to work to support her son as the man who attacked her was now in prison. I offered to babysit for her. When I had to go out, I put the both of them in the same carriage. When folks would stop to look at them I would tell them that the babies were twins. I got some horrified looks. One had big blue eyes and blond fuzz on his head, the other was black. Did I mention that my girlfriend's partner was black and she was white? The two of them were breaking ground on two levels at that time. Civil Rights had not become a major issue in the country yet. About five years later my girlfriend committed suicide. She just couldn't stand up anymore to all the problems the two of them faced on a daily basis. A year later, the mother followed her partner. I was babysitting her son when the cops came to my door to pick up the baby and gave me the news.

A year later I got a beautiful enormous bouquet of flowers and an eloquent note from the baby's grandparents thanking me for all I had done for their daughter and accepting her as she was. We kept in touch for the next coule of years. They even sent me pictures of baby Walter. My son's twin.

I told ya, I just luv to shake folks up and make them think. And they sure did when they looked into that carriage and I told them that the babies were twins.
Wow.... Love it.... Sorry to hear about your friends... But i applaud you
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #627
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks all for the kind words. You are never sure of the reaction, even here in 2012.

My family is so excited. I only wish this could have happened sooner, my dad loved Rob like his own son.

As far as the cake, I have someone in mind up in Maine, she is the one that taught me to decorate cakes years ago, she is so talented. If that doesn't work out, I'll seek out some giant whoopie pies, lol!

Maine is where I grew up. We weren't planning on going back up for a couple of years, but this has changed things a bit.

Again, it is great to know that friends as DC have my back.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #628
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

After knowing someone like that, doesn't it baffle you that many will still call it a "choice"? Who would choose a life of torment?

Having a straight ally like you in the 50s, was such a rare thing. But after getting to know you a bit, you are a rare breed indeed!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #629
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Now we need to help you plan the reception menu, Bakechef. I hope it might include Maine lobster!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #630
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now we need to help you plan the reception menu, Bakechef. I hope it might include Maine lobster!
We have to meet somewhere between, me wanting to go to a courthouse and him wanting a ceremony and reception...

There could be lobster involved, I don't eat any seafood, but many do, and if it is as cheap as it was last summer, it could be a possibility. That, and I know people who pull them out of the sea, so a good deal is almost guaranteed!