"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #631
Executive Chef

oh man, bakechef, a maine lobster connection like yours would be worth a king's ransom! only it's a real tragedy that you can't/won't be partaking of seafood yourself.... :(

Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #632
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
After knowing someone like that, doesn't it baffle you that many will still call it a "choice"? Who would choose a life of torment?

Having a straight ally like you in the 50s, was such a rare thing. But after getting to know you a bit, you are a rare breed indeed!
I didn't care about the gay part, it was the fact that it was a black and white relationship that got me. I lived in a neighborhood where blacks were rarely seen. and it pi**ed me off big time. My girlfriend was white. Her partner was black and they went through the tortures of h*ll. Then when word got out that they were gay, it just got worse. My girlfriend was generous to a fault. Her partner was so gentle and soft spoken. You couldn't help but like both of them. And why take out your nasty attitude on a baby? When someone would point out to me that the baby was black, I would respond with some well chosen words.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #633
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have to meet somewhere between, me wanting to go to a courthouse and him wanting a ceremony and reception...

There could be lobster involved, I don't eat any seafood, but many do, and if it is as cheap as it was last summer, it could be a possibility. That, and I know people who pull them out of the sea, so a good deal is almost guaranteed!
You could have both. A courthouse ceremony with a small reception for family and close friends. You don't want to deny them a chance to celebrate with you. And it is a big occassion. And make sure you invite your lobsterman to the reception. You might just get that lobster free as a wedding present.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #634
Executive Chef

Yes! After a week or more of not being able to log into thw DC app, the latest update and a few uninstall/re-installs got me back in. :D
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #635
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When I woke up this morning I realized I was out of an absolutely necessary thing.

Fortunately, there is a store open 24 hours nearby so a $6 cab ride - one way.

It was my own fault that I hadn’t remembered to get that item the last time I was there, but, I just had enough cash to pay for my round trip and still have enough left for my next shopping trip.

I discovered that making positive that I always end up with cash for my next cab trip has made my life much easier. Yes, it upsets my sense of thrift to pay $12 to buy a $2 item, but it also suits my sense of justice. It’s MY fault I had to take a $12 cab ride.

So overall feeling? I actually feel really good. It was so nice to realize that I could splurge and get the necessary item.

Even if I had no cash, I could get some at the ATM, but it made me feel really good that I saved $2.95!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #636
Head Chef

Quote:
Hoping that this doesn't cause controversy on this site (oh how I wish that I didn't have to preface this post with that!)

Maine has voted for marriage equality. My partner and I have been together for almost 9 years and we have decided to go to my home state next year and tie the knot! Although our current state of residence will still see us as "just friends", I hope that will too change some day soon!

Just wanted to share this with a lot of people that I consider friends here at DC.
Boy, am I ever late to the party! Sorry I missed this back in November, bc. May I add my congrats to your upcoming nuptials, wherever they end up taking place. Joy, joy!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #637
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Boy, am I ever late to the party! Sorry I missed this back in November, bc. May I add my congrats to your upcoming nuptials, wherever they end up taking place. Joy, joy!
Thanks, these posts mean a lot!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #638
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, these posts mean a lot!
So glad to be able to say Congratulations to you and Rob. May you both be happy and may life bring you both all the good things you deserve. Happiness always.
kades
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #639
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
So glad to be able to say Congratulations to you and Rob. May you both be happy and may life bring you both all the good things you deserve. Happiness always.
kades
+1!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #640
Executive Chef

i'm Still Smiling.:):):)...i may be smiling all day about an observation made, in a still moment of clarity, by tin (tinlizzie) in another thread, 'don't you feel like we are talking in nonsense sentences these days, that sound a lot like lewis carroll's writings, "twas brilling...." when we say things like, "note to self: 'google keurig on amazon....' in our everyday-speak....:)

take a few minutes and look at all of the "nonsense" words we use, quite unconsciously, every day. try making a list--see how many you can come up with....:)