"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #701
Executive Chef

Glad you are feeling better Snip. Those babies do grow up so fast .. savor the young times for soon they will be happy memories.

Might be that magic edible glitter that made you feel good !!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #702
Sous Chef

It was nine o'clock. I was crying hard, on the verge of a full-scale meltdown. I knew my sister next door wasn't home. My husband was at work, and it was past bed-time, way past bed time, but my daughters were playing in the living room while I fell apart because we'd just gotten home and I'd gotten bad news right as we walked in the door. I knew I needed to get them to bed but I couldn't figure out how to pull myself together. My almost-4-year-old was starting to pull toys out and my almost-2-year-old had gotten my keys and was trying to find somewhere to stick them. I was trying to get it together just enough to get them to bed, but knew they were overly tired and would fight me the whole way. Plus, I knew there was no way to explain to them why I was so upset. Suddenly, my older daughter looked at me, and seemed to really realize how upset I was. She put the toys down, walked over to me, touched my arm, and said "It's ok, Mommy. You can be sad. Will it help you feel better if I sing you a song?" I told her it would. As she walked across the room, my younger daughter walked over to me, handed me the keys she knew she wasn't supposed to have, said "Sowwy. Momma ky (cry)? Momma sad? Momma ok," and began patting my leg. She stayed there patting my leg as my older daughter walked across the room, picked up a book, stood on the aerobics step that's in our living room at the moment, and began singing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star," followed by the "Itsy Bitsy Spider," because she knew "it will make you feel better too, Momma." Then they both gave me hugs. We got ready for bed and they went to bed more easily than most nights. I am so blessed. I love these girls so much.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #703
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That is just so touching, Sprout! So glad your daughters are so perceptive, and that they understood. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #704
Chef Extraordinaire

Sprout, kids know. Just like your favorite pet knows, so do your children. And they will always be at your side with comfort. Hang on to those Twinkling Little Stars. They are called children. All those little children that are living with God are looking down on you and your children sending blessing after blessing. And one for each of your children
Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #705
Chef Extraordinaire

sprout, just from my perspective, and i hoped you'ved learned from yours, it's ok or even good for your kids to see you sad, and then cope with it with their help.

you've created bonds that are far more reaching than can be put into words because now those bonds go both ways.

you're a good mommy. i hope the bad news has resolved itself, and you find strength in the fact that tomorrow is a brand new day, and your family is just that much stronger.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #706
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
sprout, just from my perspective, and i hoped you'ved learned from yours, it's ok or even good for your kids to see you sad, and then cope with it with their help.

you've created bonds that are far more reaching than can be put into words because now those bonds go both ways.

you're a good mommy. i hope the bad news has resolved itself, and you find strength in the fact that tomorrow is a brand new day, and your family is just that much stronger.
Sprout, take a page from buckytom's book. He has it right.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #707
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yay! I can park my car in the garage again. No more leaving it on the street to get scratched. Our street, which has been under construction for the past two months is nearly done. The sidewalks are done and all the paving is done. It looks good. They just have to fill in some soil next to the sidewalks and plant some grass on the soil. Well, I think that's all that's left.

And on another note, the inflammation in my right wrist seems to be almost gone.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #708
Chef Extraordinaire

I know, I've vented about how nauseous the medication I'm on makes me and how I've had no appetite, how my clothes no longer fit and I can't afford a new wardrobe...well, like others, I'm sure, I've had that pair of really skinny jeans in my drawer. These are white "Lee" jeans (never go out of style), however, I haven't worn these for a LONG time. I have pics of me on my honeymoon wearing them (1989). Well, I gotta run to the store and guess what I'm wearing...my white Lee jeans. Good thing I washed them a few weeks ago...I wish my friends from high school could see me now...not only do my earrings still fit, but so do a pair of jeans I wore way back when.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #709
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I know, I've vented about how nauseous the medication I'm on makes me and how I've had no appetite, how my clothes no longer fit and I can't afford a new wardrobe...well, like others, I'm sure, I've had that pair of really skinny jeans in my drawer. These are white "Lee" jeans (never go out of style), however, I haven't worn these for a LONG time. I have pics of me on my honeymoon wearing them (1989). Well, I gotta run to the store and guess what I'm wearing...my white Lee jeans. Good thing I washed them a few weeks ago...I wish my friends from high school could see me now...not only do my earrings still fit, but so do a pair of jeans I wore way back when.

You need to talk to the doctor about this medication, Quality of life is just as or more important as Quantity. There has to be a better medication for you. Worried about you!!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #710
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You need to talk to the doctor about this medication, Quality of life is just as or more important as Quantity. There has to be a better medication for you. Worried about you!!
Thanks, PF. I'm down to about 2-3 days / week where I'm not able to eat much (a little, but not a lot). This is much better than 5 / 7 on the other medication we tried. I'm working on moving the medication to evening (it is a time-released med and also puts me to sleep, so better that I take it at night rather than sleeping the afternoon away). This week is the transition week. The medication works well for me, but the side effects do not. I am very sensitive to medication so always have side effects. And, the nausea is not as bad as it was when I was taking it in the morning or when I was on the other drug we tried. The drug has worse side effects than nausea and drowsiness, so I'm lucky my bp is not spiking.

My doctor is well aware of the side effects and has been working with me. I take a gravol with it and that seems to help. I'm only queasy for about 2-3 hours instead of 7-8.