"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #721
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a wonderful melange of medications that cause weight gain...
I wish I could blame my meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm with you kid!

My nibbling is not about hunger it's about boredom. I do pretty well when I'm working on a project or surfing the net. If I'm in front of the tube I start getting the munchies.

If I got rid of the couch and the television I would probably drop another thirty pounds!

I have never been a between meal snacker. With very little effort, I can gain weight on three meals a day.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #722
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I nibble on sliced apples, strawberries, blueberries, peanut/almond butter, mutigrain crackers...all while typing madly on the computer at work. I make good choices, just overdo them. With going to eletronic medical records, our floor tme has been cut by 75%, sitting time has made my butt look like my chair...wide and grey.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #723
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm with you kid!

My nibbling is not about hunger it's about boredom. I do pretty well when I'm working on a project or surfing the net. If I'm in front of the tube I start getting the munchies.

If I got rid of the couch and the television I would probably drop another thirty pounds!
Have you tried "Commercial Activities"? Every time a commercial comes on, you get up from the couch or away from the computer and do something. Dust the window sills, wipe of fingerprints from the switch plates. You get the idea. The average commercial breaks last four minutes. You'd be surprised at how much you can accomplish in those four minutes. Clean the bottom panes of two windows. Wipe down all you counters in the kitchen. Vacuum one room. Sweep the kitchen floor. Take up a hobby that requires you to sit up while watching TV. Needlework, reading. Considering how many commercial breaks there are in a day, you could clean the whole house and get to move at the same time.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #724
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you tried "Commercial Activities"? Every time a commercial comes on, you get up from the couch or away from the computer and do something. Dust the window sills, wipe of fingerprints from the switch plates. You get the idea. The average commercial breaks last four minutes. You'd be surprised at how much you can accomplish in those four minutes. Clean the bottom panes of two windows. Wipe down all you counters in the kitchen. Vacuum one room. Sweep the kitchen floor. Take up a hobby that requires you to sit up while watching TV. Needlework, reading. Considering how many commercial breaks there are in a day, you could clean the whole house and get to move at the same time.
A friend taught me how to clean my entire apartment and do many routine chores during the commercial breaks! It really is amazing how much you can accomplish during that wasted time!

I really don't snack all that much and I have not sat on my couch in years. I never thought I would get to the point that I need to vacuum my upholstered furniture.

My frustration comes from the medications that have slowed my metabolism. I am losing weight with my diet, I am also gaining weight due to some of the medications. It is hard to explain, the weight is coming off in the right places and piling up in the wrong places. I am still losing slowly, it is just frustrating.

Getting old is the pits!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #725
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

Getting old is the pits!
It's better than the alternative.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #726
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's better than the alternative.
Getting old is hard work. There are some days when it happens faster than you can move.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #727
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a job interview tomorrow--I'd appreciate as many positive thoughts as possible. I haven't worked since April and funds are getting very low.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #728
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have a job interview tomorrow--I'd appreciate as many positive thoughts as possible. I haven't worked since April and funds are getting very low.
Best of luck, CW!! Fingers crossed!! (Toes too).
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #729
Chef Extraordinaire

For you. One can never have too many angels looking out for them. Good luck in the interview.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #730
Master Chef

I just got hired full time at a local high school providing interpreting services for a Deaf student. I have been working for the school system as a substitute interpreter for 2 years. Happy to have the full time job!