Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats Andy M.

My son--
It's 10 days since my youngest's 21st birthday. He had been on the road to no-where this past few years, which was scary for me and I guess finally for him. No job....and 21 years old. Living at home-failure to launch--though a GREAT person to be here with chores and him taking responsibility for himself, never a bother or a conflict. I do adore him.

He's launched.

Now I need to do all the chores he used to do. :):) He won't be cooking for us or with us. We'll have to take out our own garbage and wash our own dishes. Lawn, snow shoveling......this should all get me back in shape. I'll miss him on fishing trips. This is a good thing, this is a good thing, this is a good thing.:) Someone kindly remind me that this is a good thing when I get to not being sure of myself.

I met someone 6+ years ago, that I trust (amish-y, christian, frugal, down to earth, calm demeanor, excellent teacher), that lives 600 miles from here. He and his wife have an organic farm with chickens. He offered to apprentice my son, and amazingly, my son accepted. I bought him train tickets last week to go for a 3 month commitment which might be extended after that. He left Sat. arrived Sun., worked and learned new things (using a chain saw, hauling wood, met the chickens) , after being awake 36 hours he crashed and slept 13 hours, got up ate french toast and will spend today working (with chickens and reading the tractor manuals). I'm SO HAPPY FOR HIM, I MISS HIM TERRIBLY.:(:( I usually don't cry. (think- Charlie St. Cloud when he is losing his brother)

He's going to learn electrical, plumbing, tractors, machines, chickens, eggs, farmer's market, farm upkeep, computers, and --jack and jill of all trades are his teachers--they are teaching him. It's a good thing for him, and a good thing for the farm. Win-Win!
Blissful--That's GREAT! Life on the farm is a different life--I really like it.

blissful, that is great news!

Now is the time to dry your eyes and dust off a dream or two of your own!

Absolutely! Crying is very tiring, I slept for 2 hours after that. I thought I'd cry in the past few days but today I'm here alone and he's gone.

I haven't yet had a chance to look at my dreams---that time is coming up fast! Different job? Some remodeling in the house? Change my schedule-get some exercise? Start painting again?

Blissful--That's GREAT! Life on the farm is a different life--I really like it.

It will be different. In the negotiations for him to go or not to go we had a few discussions.

Here's what was said:
You realize internet will be limited and only to text instead of what you have here? He said 'yes'.
Is this a deal breaker? He said 'no'.
Will you be able to cut the head off a chicken, pluck it's feathers, cut it up? He said 'yes'.
The car will be the family car, the phone the family phone and limited and you'll be working ALL day? He said 'yes'.
They are far from anywhere--almost like here? He said 'yes'.

He's always helped with gardens (four on an acre) since he was little, just not with a full grown tractor (great big on 10+ acres). He's helped with cutting up venison, so the chicken thing might be okay. He wouldn't filet fish, but was supportive, it makes me wonder about the chicken killing part.

I can't go on a walk tonight until I hear from him. I'd hate to miss his call.

I need to get him some rain gear for the farm, any ideas on what kind? I'm shipping him some things that didn't fit into his bags, like a disposable camera, peanut butter, steel toed shoes, a couple of quilts and extra clothes.

Thank you for your support!

I need to get him some rain gear for the farm, any ideas on what kind? .

I would wait and let him or his host family tell you what he needs.

I am sure this is not easy but, this is not summer camp it is life let him live it!

He will be fine and so will you. :flowers:

I would wait and let him or his host family tell you what he needs.

I am sure this is not easy but, this is not summer camp it is life let him live it!

He will be fine and so will you. :flowers:
yes, you are right. I talked with the family, and they said he needs rain gear and steel toed shoes. The rest of the things are just my over-mommishness. I know we will both be alright, it's just taking time to adjust.

I'm doing the happy dance--the importation/inspection/licensing/insuring process on the Volvo is DONE! I am so grateful to have a car that I can feel safe driving, that if my dad (or mom) calls me in the middle of the night, I can pack and go and drive 1400 miles without worrying about it breaking down. My BFF has given me a gift beyond compare--I needed a reliable car, and this one is that car....

I'm doing the happy dance--the importation/inspection/licensing/insuring process on the Volvo is DONE! I am so grateful to have a car that I can feel safe driving, that if my dad (or mom) calls me in the middle of the night, I can pack and go and drive 1400 miles without worrying about it breaking down. My BFF has given me a gift beyond compare--I needed a reliable car, and this one is that car....
What a great gift. Just be careful and you will love that car and your friend.How lucky for both of you and mom and dad.
kades

What a great gift. Just be careful and you will love that car and your friend.How lucky for both of you and mom and dad.
kades
I think it was Joseph Campbell who wrote (and I paraphrase because I can't find the book in which this was in) that we don't know why a person crosses our path until we are old...I now know why her path and my path crossed. To do this for me. I feel so blessed to have a friend who is closer to me than a sister (I don't have a sister, but if I did, I would imagine our relationship would be like this) and who has been there through all the bad times (and the good). Who loves me no matter what and forgives me no matter how selfish or difficult I have been, and is generous to a fault, because she can afford to be. I will take very good care of this car--it is such a gift.

Photos.

Whatcha gonna call her/him? Do you know if yours is a girl or a boy yet?

Pending a succesful background check I have been offered a job! I am so flipping thrilled. Things are falling into place and soon the hubby and I will be able to breathe more easily. I just feel so blessed at the moment. The icing on the cake, it's a job that I think I'm really going to enjoy. The choclate drizzle on the icing on the cake, I'll be making enough solo that if the hubby has to quit his job (50 hour work weeks are rough and they're about to start 60 hour work weeks) or wants to quit to go back to school I'll be able to cover all of our bills plus a little extra. I'm just so happy right now.

Pending a succesful background check I have been offered a job! I am so flipping thrilled. Things are falling into place and soon the hubby and I will be able to breathe more easily. I just feel so blessed at the moment. The icing on the cake, it's a job that I think I'm really going to enjoy. The choclate drizzle on the icing on the cake, I'll be making enough solo that if the hubby has to quit his job (50 hour work weeks are rough and they're about to start 60 hour work weeks) or wants to quit to go back to school I'll be able to cover all of our bills plus a little extra. I'm just so happy right now.

w00t! :w00t2:

Yay!!!! You didn't mention the Chief, did you?:LOL:

Was that your photo I saw in the post office? Good luck. Here's hoping and praying that you will be raking in the money real soon. :):):)

Back
Top Bottom