Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Their FAQ says they ship to Canada, but you either use FedEx and FedEx brokers the import duties or you tell them who you want to broker for you. Sounds like a PITA. Oh well, maybe I can find a good Canadian source.

You may be able to find these at a restaurant supply store in your province.

Last Fall on Sept. 13th our AC was shut off and the heat tuned on. After that date we had several more days of weather where the temp was above 90ºF. In the apartments, some had temps well above 100ºF. Some residents had to be removed by ambulance to the hospital. Most of the tenants were sitting outside at 1 a.m. in order to get relief. The law states that landlords must provide heat from Sept. 15th to June 15th. So I sat down and wrote a letter with charts from NOAA showing the temperatures for Boston from Septembr 13th to Oct. 30th. I sent a copy to every one of our representatives, law makers, the Mayor and anyone else who is responsible for "One size fits all." laws. I asked that a separate law for the elderly be written as we have different needs and are restricted by what we are allowed to have in our apartments. I atteneded a meeting at City Hall and spoke to the City Council addressing this matter.

Today, I am happy to announce, our AC was turned on 24 days early. If a tenant gets cold, they can put of a sweater. They don't have to turn on their AC unit. So you see folks, you can fight City Hall, the State House and any other fool who likes to write laws that are not right for everyone. And you can win!!!:):)
Good for you!!! More power to you!! It's great to hear there are people out there standing up to all the bearacrats. That has to feel great!

Good for you!!! More power to you!! It's great to hear there are people out there standing up to all the bearacrats. That has to feel great!

Thank you. It was a little warm here today. The AC was needed. Several residents stopped and thanked me.

We have a law that states that heat must be provided or available to a tenant between Sept. 15 and June 15th. I understand that law. There are landlords in the past that didn't want to turn the heat on until the temps outside would drop into the 20's. Then there are buildings like the one I live in. The heat and AC are included in the rent and is provided through a central HVAC system. It is no easy job to switch over for the seasons. We are not allowed to put individual AC units in our windows because this is an historical building. And the needs of the elderly are so different from the general public. Most of us have COPD and need to have our apartments environmentally conducive to our breathing needs.

Tte old law is still in place for those landlords that don't want to pay for the heat and AC when needed. But a new law was written for the "Elderly, Disabled and Medically Impaired." We have been given special status. :angel:

Good going, Addie!

That makes me realize how lucky I am. I'm in low income housing, but have a heating/air conditioning unit. I get an electrical allowance off my rent, and can easily keep my electric bill below that. It lets me choose a/c or heat, whenever.

This is the first time I have ever done something like this. I usually sit back and let the others do it. Now my arm is getting sore from patting myself on the back. It does feel good to know I won. Not just for me, but for all elderly in Boston. And I am pleased that it covers the disabled and medically impaired.

Remember when we all got the $300 from Obama? Well, most of the tenants here had no idea of how to apply for it. Some of the kids of the residents were telling their parent that if they took this money, they would have to pay it back. I got so angry. Do they enjoy seeing their parent living in poverty? So I held a meeting and explained the whole thing to them. I printed out enough forms and envelopes for everyone. I even provided stamps for some of the residents. Some of the residents brought cookies, cake and other snacks and I bought a big thing of coffee from Dunkin' Donut. I got some flack from their kids, but I didn't care. Every resident in the building applied for it and were so happy when that money came. When I was helping them fill out the form, I was given financial information that I was not entitled to. But I have never revealed to anyone who had what amount in their bank account. The residents know I can be trusted. I have also helped many of the residents apply for food stamps. Another thing their kids didn't want them to have. :)

I'm the 43 year old daughter of elderly patents and an aunt in Australia. I also help them and their friends get the help they is rightfully theirs. My dad recently diagnosed with lung cancer was paying to travel the 800kms to and from the major hospital for tests. I took him and mum to see the hospital social worker ( dad said he didn't want charity, I said ******** that's what you paid high taxes for your whole working life). Between the social worker and I they now have free transport and accommodation when having to go to Sydney for tests and treatment and she also arranged a food voucher to see them they to their next pension. I would have helped them financially too but my husband has been on chemo and a bone marrow transplant so we r only just making ends meet, or nearly meet ourselves. I cannot understand my sister and brothers they also have the attitude that mum n dad don't deserve the 'handouts'. Dad and mum both worked their assess off all their working lives and paid their taxes so they and other elderly deserve our respect and as much help as we can give them. Well done Addy I'm sure those people really appreciate what you are doing.

I have finally reached a point where I can say Yipeee. I've had a long hard struggle learning to walk again getting by memory loss the stroke that caused all this the kidney failure. I put on shoes today I haven't been able to wear in 2 years, plus a pair of heels not spikes mind you but about 2 inches wow I feel so good. my weight has gone back to normal and I have reached my goal of size 6 I'm going to my grandson's 6 grade graduation tomorrow then taking him to lunch along with my daughter, other grandson and my very special DH, and I'll be able to navagate the walf without the walker:LOL: My eyes will be finished on 14 of June and Then in several days I'll be able to drive again. Ahhh life feels so good. I'm so happy just to be here but this is like the frosting on the cake. To all of you here thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulnes. My DC family is os sprcial to me. Hugs to all of you.
kades

kadesma said:
I have finally reached a point where I can say Yipeee. I've had a long hard struggle learning to walk again getting by memory loss the stroke that caused all this the kidney failure. I put on shoes today I haven't been able to wear in 2 years, plus a pair of heels not spikes mind you but about 2 inches wow I feel so good. my weight has gone back to normal and I have reached my goal of size 6 I'm going to my grandson's 6 grade graduation tomorrow then taking him to lunch along with my daughter, other grandson and my very special DH, and I'll be able to navagate the walf without the walker:LOL: My eyes will be finished on 14 of June and Then in several days I'll be able to drive again. Ahhh life feels so good. I'm so happy just to be here but this is like the frosting on the cake. To all of you here thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulnes. My DC family is os sprcial to me. Hugs to all of you.
kades

Wonderful news, Ma! I'm so happy for you!

kades

You're going to have to re-sole all your shoes in a week...

Yea!!!!! I'm so excited for you! Hugs and Love!

kades
w00t! That's great news. I'm so happy for you. (((hugs)))

Yesterday we went out to dinner with an acquaintance I haven't seen in a few years. The topic of student demonstrations came up. (The students in Montreal have been demonstrating for the past three months against tuition increases.) I said I agreed with the students. He said that I should wait until I was 50 and got cynical, like him.

:clap: 50! Hah! I just turned 62.

I have a NeatScan portable scanner. It came with NeatScan to Office software. That means that it would only scan using an MS Office product, like Excel. It worked perfectly with the free trial version of Office that came with my computer. It scans the receipt; OCRs it; let's you make corrections; and then puts it in a spreadsheet. I just hate having to use an MS product. I use Open Office and will be switching to LibreOffice. I like free and open source ;)

So, I bit the bullet; held my nose; and bought Office 2010. I tried it with my nifty little scanner. It scanned fine, but didn't do the OCR part. Phooey!

Today I discovered that the scanner works with my favourite image software, IrfanView - one of the most popular viewers worldwide Yay! I'm now hunting for some free OCR software. Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom