Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm now hunting for some free OCR software. Any suggestions?

Adobe Acrobat Standard or Pro will do OCR. (recheck to make sure)
Each of these cost $200-$400. Not the free edition.

Hopefully you'll find something less expensive.:rolleyes:

I recently bought Office 2003 because it will do some things that Oo_O won't. I make lots of forms, and in Open Office it doesn't recognize lines and said there wasn't anything on the page(!) so it wouldn't print it unless I added at least one letter at the beginning and again at the end.

I tried the later versions of Office, but I didn't like the many weird icons and spent most of my time trying to find what I wanted.

I'm glad you're happy with it.

I have finally reached a point where I can say Yipeee. I've had a long hard struggle learning to walk again getting by memory loss the stroke that caused all this the kidney failure. I put on shoes today I haven't been able to wear in 2 years, plus a pair of heels not spikes mind you but about 2 inches wow I feel so good. my weight has gone back to normal and I have reached my goal of size 6 I'm going to my grandson's 6 grade graduation tomorrow then taking him to lunch along with my daughter, other grandson and my very special DH, and I'll be able to navagate the walf without the walker:LOL: My eyes will be finished on 14 of June and Then in several days I'll be able to drive again. Ahhh life feels so good. I'm so happy just to be here but this is like the frosting on the cake. To all of you here thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulnes. My DC family is os sprcial to me. Hugs to all of you.
kades

Kadesma, I know I am a little bit late. This is such great news. I am so happy for you. Coming back from a serious illness is a lot of hard work. I know. I have been there. Something so simple like putting on a pair of normal shoes is a BIG step. When my son got married, I went from the wheelchair to 1.5 inch heels and danced all night at his wedding. I felt like I was on stilts. And all I wanted was to dance just five steps with my son. I am at a loss for words to telliing you how happy I am for you. You are making such great strides in your recovery. Good luck honey. You deserve it. :angel::angel:

Kadesma, I know I am a little bit late. This is such great news. I am so happy for you. Coming back from a serious illness is a lot of hard work. I know. I have been there. Something so simple like putting on a pair of normal shoes is a BIG step. When my son got married, I went from the wheelchair to 1.5 inch heels and danced all night at his wedding. I felt like I was on stilts. And all I wanted was to dance just five steps with my son. I am at a loss for words to telliing you how happy I am for you. You are making such great strides in your recovery. Good luck honey. You deserve it. :angel::angel:
Late is good;) Thank you for the nice post. It's so nice to have friends who care.
kades

taxlady said:
Yesterday we went out to dinner with an acquaintance I haven't seen in a few years. The topic of student demonstrations came up. (The students in Montreal have been demonstrating for the past three months against tuition increases.) I said I agreed with the students. He said that I should wait until I was 50 and got cynical, like him.

:clap: 50! Hah! I just turned 62.

Whoa! You look over 12 years younger! Fantastic!

What's your secret?

PrincessFiona60 said:
NO KIDS!!!!:angel:

:LOL: hard to escape 'em in my line of work! Oh, you mean your own personal kids...

I was thinking the good Scandanavian genes had something to do with it!

Last edited:
:LOL: hard to escape 'em in my line of work! Oh, you mean your own personal kids...

I was thinking the good Scandanavian genes had something to do with it!

Yes, the personal kids that put all those lines in your face from telling them to stop....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the 43 year old daughter of elderly patents and an aunt in Australia. I also help them and their friends get the help they is rightfully theirs. My dad recently diagnosed with lung cancer was paying to travel the 800kms to and from the major hospital for tests. I took him and mum to see the hospital social worker ( dad said he didn't want charity, I said ******** that's what you paid high taxes for your whole working life). Between the social worker and I they now have free transport and accommodation when having to go to Sydney for tests and treatment and she also arranged a food voucher to see them they to their next pension. I would have helped them financially too but my husband has been on chemo and a bone marrow transplant so we r only just making ends meet, or nearly meet ourselves. I cannot understand my sister and brothers they also have the attitude that mum n dad don't deserve the 'handouts'. Dad and mum both worked their assess off all their working lives and paid their taxes so they and other elderly deserve our respect and as much help as we can give them. Well done Addy I'm sure those people really appreciate what you are doing.
People like you & Addie are angels that are put on this earth to help people. Good for the both of you!! You are earning your wings here.

People like you & Addie are angels that are put on this earth to help people. Good for the both of you!! You are earning your wings here.

Thank you. I do what I do because there is a need and other will not and can not step up to do it.

And now on a happy note. For all our Canadian friends. The Canadian Mounted Police will serve for one week in honor of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Aniversary as "The Queen's Life Guards" guarding the entrance to the Palace. They were invited by Queen Elizabeth herself to serve. The Sovereign's personal body guard, known today as the Queen's Life Guard, have been guarding the ceremonial entrance to the Royal residence since the 17th Century.

Congratulations Canadians. You have to be proud. That is quite an honor. :)

my granddaughter and her fiancé found a place to live today. so they won't be staying with me anymore. they will be paying $600 for a converted garage. that is the rental situation in so calif. they are thrilled so i am thrilled for them. their staying here for a month and me feeding them was a help. they need money for all the 1st, deposits that go with moving in somewhere. it is very close to his work and that will cut down on the gas expenses. hard for kids these days.

Hard for us not kids, too. I pay the same rents that a pack of college students would pay. Rent is based on what a landlord can make off 2 students for each bedroom. So I pay $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment. It was only $450 12 years ago and is still one of the cheapest rents in town.

my granddaughter and her fiancé found a place to live today. so they won't be staying with me anymore. they will be paying $600 for a converted garage. that is the rental situation in so calif. they are thrilled so i am thrilled for them. their staying here for a month and me feeding them was a help. they need money for all the 1st, deposits that go with moving in somewhere. it is very close to his work and that will cut down on the gas expenses. hard for kids these days.

You are so right babe. Most rentals here want first month, last month and a month's rent for security. If the rent is $1,000 or more a month, that is often more than they earn in a month. And they want it all at the same time. No time payments allowed. In the meantime, they are trying to save and still have some money to live on. Even two incomes is often not enough to get them started on their way. :(

Whoa! You look over 12 years younger! Fantastic!

What's your secret?
I think PF is right, that it is mostly that I don't have any children. No worry/aggravation lines. I think it may also be the Saami genes. Maybe it's 'cause I am careful about what food I eat. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Hard for us not kids, too. I pay the same rents that a pack of college students would pay. Rent is based on what a landlord can make off 2 students for each bedroom. So I pay $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment. It was only $450 12 years ago and is still one of the cheapest rents in town.

I am in the same situation where I live !

I am not sure what the next step will be, I can't move in with my parents! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If it weren't for Elderly Housing, I would have to move in with one of my kids. :ermm:

I don't have any kids, I need to begin looking at housing options for seniors.

I also need to start getting rid of "stuff".

The less options you have the lighter you need to travel. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Low income housing gave me back a life. In Florida I was paying $400 a month to rent a bedroom in someone's house. No privacy, and not much money left over, not to mention their bad mannered pets.

Now I pay $210 for a nice one bedroom apartment that's all mine, and money left over to shop for pretty much whatever I want (I'm low maintenance.)

I don't have any kids, I need to begin looking at housing options for seniors.

I also need to start getting rid of "stuff".

The less options you have the lighter you need to travel. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If the elderly housing in your area is federally sponsored, you need to be 55 y.o. So since most elderly housing has a waiting list, I would suggest you apply right now if you are within six months of 55. Most elderly housing is a studio apartment. There is an income limit. You can look it up on your computer. Your rent is one-third of your income and usually includes utilities such as heat, electricity, full bath and hot water along with AC. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer your questions. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom