Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Low income housing gave me back a life. In Florida I was paying $400 a month to rent a bedroom in someone's house. No privacy, and not much money left over, not to mention their bad mannered pets.

Now I pay $210 for a nice one bedroom apartment that's all mine, and money left over to shop for pretty much whatever I want (I'm low maintenance.)

Here in Boston they are rehabbing any school building that has been closed to Elderly Housing. And if they are building new housing, it is one floor. No stairs. The are learning from past mistakes. Here in Eastie, we have one school building called The Lyman. It was one of the very first rehabs. No one wants to live there. If they have a difficult resident that creates too many problems, they move them to The Lyman. They can't put them out on the street, and their family doesn't want them. We have three types of Elderly Housing. Assisted Living is when you have someone who does your housework, makes sure you get meals on wheels, etc. Partial Assisted - Help with housework and other services when needed. And Non Assisted - No help. You have complete privacy and do all your own housework and cooking along with your own laundry. I am in Non Assisted. We do have several handicap apartments. A couple of residents are in wheelchairs and through their own health plan have some help with laundry and housework. Every apartment has a 911 button along with the necklace button.

I love being elderly. I now qualify for everything. Food stamps, house cleaner, (if I want one) low rent, all utilities included in rent, etc. I even get low rates for transportation cost. If the average citizen pays $2.00 one way, I pay $2.00 round trip and can go 35 miles outside of Boston, seven days a week. Not a bad deal. And I can bring a caregive with me for free. There are a lot of residents here that don't drive. So if they want to go to Somerville to the Mall, I call for a ride and take them as my caregiver. I get out of the house, and they get free transportation. And I don't ask them to pay me. I have a balance already in my account, so I don't even miss the money. It is not like I had to take the $2.00 out of my pocket. It is great being elderly. But a lot of hard work. Walking with creaky knees or a lousy hip is hard work. :)

I don't have any kids, I need to begin looking at housing options for seniors.

I also need to start getting rid of "stuff".

The less options you have the lighter you need to travel. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A tip for moving. If you use boxes from just anywhere, cut handles halfway down the sides. Makes for easier carrying. Don't cut them too close to the top. They will just rip. And leave the flap. Only cut three sides. Make it so the flap is on the top. It saves the hands and it won't cut into your palm. :)

A tip for moving. If you use boxes from just anywhere, cut handles halfway down the sides. Makes for easier carrying. Don't cut them too close to the top. They will just rip. And leave the flap. Only cut three sides. Make it so the flap is on the top. It saves the hands and it won't cut into your palm. :)

Leave the flap? Why cut three sides.
Can you explain this so I can understand, I'm not getting it.
Let's say you have one bottom, 4 sides (NSEW) and 4 flaps (NSEW). Thank you

Leave the top of the hand holds holes uncut and fold them into the box giving your hands a sort of cushion.

Leave the top of the hand holds holes uncut and fold them into the box giving your hands a sort of cushion.

Thanks Zhizara, I was thinking of flaps at the top four flaps, not the handle flaps. Got it!

Leave the flap? Why cut three sides.
Can you explain this so I can understand, I'm not getting it.
Let's say you have one bottom, 4 sides (NSEW) and 4 flaps (NSEW). Thank you

Sorry 'bout that.

On two opposite sides of the box make a three sided cut. Then fold the flap up to protect the palm of your hand. Have you ever seen the boxes that offices use to pack files in for storage? They have openings of just two sides of the box so you can pick it up easier. The cuts are EW. S is leaning against your body and N is away from your body. A hand on each side. Those are the sides you make a three sided cut. Slice down, across and then up. That gives you a flap to fold into the box and up to protect the palm of your hand. N is going to be the side that goes through the door first.

Say a box is 3' by 2'. You make the cuts on the 2' sides. E and W. Now you pick up the box. The S (3') side is leaning against your body. The N (3') the part of the box furthest away from your body, isn't being touched by anything.

It's easy to find the Office Supplies, Copy Paper, Furniture, Ink, Toner, Cleaning Products, Electronics and Technology you need | Staples®

Take a looksee. Just cut your slots further down on the sides. :cool:

Hard for us not kids, too. I pay the same rents that a pack of college students would pay. Rent is based on what a landlord can make off 2 students for each bedroom. So I pay $1000/mo for a 2 bedroom apartment. It was only $450 12 years ago and is still one of the cheapest rents in town.

My theory is in many cases, with the housing crisis, people losing their homes, and mortgages harder to get, more people are renting than ever before. Landlords are taking advantage of that.

When I moved here 16 years ago, a one bedroom went for $500 in a nice area, that has almost doubled. 2 bedrooms in a decent area are well over $1000. The area that I'm in is also near a large university, so that keeps rents up.

We have a mortgage that is less than rents here, 3 bedrooms 3 1/2 bath townhouse for a great deal less than a 2 bedroom right down the street. I do miss the included maintenance, but I've learned to do a lot myself and keep a little in the bank for things we can't fix.

I'm too old to acquire a mortgage...I'm about ready to start looking into Senior housing myself. Don't know how much longer I can get Shrek up out of the basement...:ermm:

Retirement is more than 10 years from now, but, the house will be paid off and it will be too big.

Choices:
1. Two story w/basement. The first floor has a large living room, large family room, kitchen w/breakfast nook, half bath, dining room.

Turn the large first floor living room into a bedroom and full bath.
Move the washer and dryer from the basement into a laundry room made from the dining room.

Leave the 4 upstairs bedrooms and full bath for guests or caretakers in the future. Shut down water, heating to the upper floor when not in use. Leave the basement for storage, heating and water heater.

In case of injury, make a front door ramp, or, a ramp for the garage entrance to the family room.

The first floor would then consist of a kitchen with breakfast nook, family room with eating area into the kitchen and entrance from the garage, laundry room and linen closet, bedroom and full bath.

2. Move to a smaller one story house and make adjustments to there.

Anyone been through these decisions? TIA

Retirement is more than 10 years from now, but, the house will be paid off and it will be too big.

Choices:
1. Two story w/basement. The first floor has a large living room, large family room, kitchen w/breakfast nook, half bath, dining room.

Move the washer and dryer from the basement into a laundry room made from the dining room.

Leave the 4 upstairs bedrooms and full bath for guests or caretakers in the future. Shut down water, heating to the upper floor when not in use. Leave the basement for storage, heating and water heater.

In case of injury, make a front door ramp, or, a ramp for the garage entrance to the family room.

The first floor would then consist of a kitchen with breakfast nook, family room with eating area into the kitchen and entrance from the garage, laundry room and linen closet, bedroom and full bath.

I think you have time on your side. I would look for a small ranch that has been set up for an elderly or handicapped person. In this area they come on the market a couple times a year and they usually sell below market because the average person is not interested in the modifications that have been made. Another option would be a ranch with an inlaw apartment. It could generate a small income until you need it for a caregiver or just someone to handle the chores. Good luck, it is a big decision!

I'm too old to acquire a mortgage...I'm about ready to start looking into Senior housing myself. Don't know how much longer I can get Shrek up out of the basement...:ermm:

Everyone who lives in this building will tell you how glad they are to be here. Most of them owned their owned home and because of our state laws, they transferred title to their kids at least five years before moving here with residence in perpetuity. But once they really started to age, they realized how much work keeping up the home was. They opted to come here. Time to pass the wand on to the kids. Stairs was their biggest problem. Some of the residents have continued to work part-time. Just enough to stay under the ceiling for income levels. It keeps them busy and active in the community.

Most of the residents grew up in Eastie. Most of the residents are of Italian decent and are very active in the Catholic Church. The same church where they were baptized and grew up in. There are plenty of free activities in the community and throughout Boston. Free transportation is provided to attend these functions. So in essence, they have all of the amenities that they had before moving here without the hassle of caring for a large home, and rattling around alone most of the time. The kindest thing our society did for seniors, is Senior Housing.

Everyone benefited. The kids didn't have to come up with a hefty down payment for a home, Mom and/or Dad have affordable housing without worrying about paying taxes, water bills, repairs, etc., and family is still nearby. A large number of the residents still drive and have a car. They pick up the kids after school, and take them in the morning, spend holidays with family, and remain very active within the building itself and community.

Grant you, you may go from a seven room house to a studio apartment, (some have a separate bedrooms for couples) and it does take some adjustment. But look at how much cleaning you don't have to do. No stairs to climb. No snow to shovel. No utility bills to pay. You do have to downsize A LOT. And you make a host of new friends your own age. Some come here fighting tooth and nail. But it doesn't take long to adjust. :angel:

My nana really enjoyed her senior apartment. She didn't mind going from a big house to a smaller place. She was already very social and still drove, but this place put her within walking distance of church, and a drug store that had enough food stuffs to fill in between trips to the grocery store. They had a bus that made two trips per week to the larger grocery store.

We felt better with her there, we lived in another town. There were enough busy bodies there, that if she didn't leave her place at least once a day, someone would knock on her door looking for her.

Choices:

I like choice # 1, as it still gives a living area. Creating an accessible bath is easier than trying to convert one. My parents had to remove a bedroom to convert their bath to accessible. But, it is a nice bath...no tub, just a HUGE shower!:)

My nana really enjoyed her senior apartment. She didn't mind going from a big house to a smaller place. She was already very social and still drove, but this place put her within walking distance of church, and a drug store that had enough food stuffs to fill in between trips to the grocery store. They had a bus that made two trips per week to the larger grocery store.

We felt better with her there, we lived in another town. There were enough busy bodies there, that if she didn't leave her place at least once a day, someone would knock on her door looking for her.

Our mailman will alert the office if they notice that mail hasn't been picked up for more than two days. And "busy bodies" is the right word. I have a scooter and go everywhere with it. Often times I will pick up something for another if I am going to the store. Specially in the real hot weather. And there are some residents that will call me that they are on their way home. Can I meet them at the bus stop and help with their bundles. Gladly. I let them carry the lightest one. Usually just a loaf of bread. And then I load up my scooter with the rest of their bundles. :)

I like choice # 1, as it still gives a living area. Creating an accessible bath is easier than trying to convert one. My parents had to remove a bedroom to convert their bath to accessible. But, it is a nice bath...no tub, just a HUGE shower!:)

In Texas, my shower was big enough to bring a wheelchair in. :)

Our mailman will alert the office if they notice that mail hasn't been picked up for more than two days. And "busy bodies" is the right word. I have a scooter and go everywhere with it. Often times I will pick up something for another if I am going to the store. Specially in the real hot weather. And there are some residents that will call me that they are on their way home. Can I meet them at the bus stop and help with their bundles. Gladly. I let them carry the lightest one. Usually just a loaf of bread. And then I load up my scooter with the rest of their bundles. :)

senior housing can create a small community within itself.

One funny thing, my nana had to "buzz" you in. One day she left without her keys to go out to lunch with me. While we were in the entry, she said "watch this" and she just pushed a button. A lady came over the speaker and said "who is it" and my nana said "Jack the Rippper" about 2 seconds later the buzz came and the door opened, LOL. Nana said, "real secure huh?" with a chuckle.

senior housing can create a small community within itself.

One funny thing, my nana had to "buzz" you in. One day she left without her keys to go out to lunch with me. While we were in the entry, she said "watch this" and she just pushed a button. A lady came over the speaker and said "who is it" and my nana said "Jack the Rippper" about 2 seconds later the buzz came and the door opened, LOL. Nana said, "real secure huh?" with a chuckle.

We have the same problem here. But the residents have learned the hard way to ask. If they aren't sure, they now come to the door to see who it is. After 9 p.m. the buzzers don't' work. You have to come to the door to let someone in. One of the residents was having a poker party and there was a stabbing. Fortunately it wasn't the resident. He was sent to live in a less desirable building.

We have a police officer who works with seniors. He came and talk to the residents and explained something to them that they never thought of.

With all the medicines elderly take, every apartment is a pharmacy just waiting to be robbed. When a drug addict see a bottle of medicine, they don't look to see what it is. To them it is a DRUG. And if they are high enough they will do whatever it takes to get them. Even hurt you.

That shook them up enough so that now they don't just buzz the door open. Even if they are expecting a family member, they ask. My kids use a special ring. So I know it is them. And most of the time I know who I am expecting. The pharmacy guy calls about five minutes before he arrives. So when he buzzes the door, I know it is him.

A little known fact. Emergency personnel have the same key as the mailmen have. It is the same key that opens all those mail boxes on the street corner. Fire, ambulance, police have the key. If you call 911 and can't get to the door to buzz them in, they can use the key. They also have the key to the elevator to hold it on the floor where the emergency is. That way they don't have to wait for it when they are ready to take the person out of the building. All elderly housing has the same lock for the front door and in the elevator. :)

Back
Top Bottom