Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would you be on the Carnival Glory by any chance? My son just started a 4 month contract with them. He is playing his guitar and singing in some lounges and on the pool deck three times a day. It would freak him out if I could get some strangers(to him, anyway) to come up and say hello to him by name. :LOL:

Unfortunately not this time, although I have sailed on that ship!

Yesterday I went to a new to me optometrist. I really, really like him. He was more than happy to explain stuff with all the science. He also said that my double vision was a known effect of astigmatism, which I have and has gotten worse. I also liked that he introduced himself as Dave. I am so tired of doctors who call me by my first name and then expect to be called Dr. Whatever. He also explained that the correction change in my prescriptions is large, so I may get dizzy or even nauseous the first week I wear the new glasses. All in all, I am very pleased.

Last year my previous optometrist said that my prescription was fine. I really didn't like her attitude when I told her I would be buying my glasses on the internet. My new optometrist confirms that my prescription should have been updated last year.

Nothing better in life than having good doctors and a good mechanic taxy! Glad for you that you had such a good exam and experience. When we had vision insurance I went to the local member eye doc just once. Not a fan. Spent the bucks to go back to my regular eye guy. At least when we move back home I already know which doctors and mechanics are good. :)

I go to an eye clinic that is under contract to my health plan. The head doctor has made it his mission that he is the only doctor to examine me. They have student doctors and some graduates. But every time they miss something. Like they insist on examine my left eye. I don't use my left eye and can only identify maybe one letter, if I am lucky. I become very impatient and want to leave immediately. He knows this and only gives me a cursory exam on that eye. Like you TL, I too like my eye doctor. And I adore my eye surgeon. I do need to make an appointment with her. But not until the weather gets warmer. :angel:

I am feeling great after a good, long time in the gym. Spent 115 minutes tonight doing the machines.

Yesterday I went to a new to me optometrist. I really, really like him. He was more than happy to explain stuff with all the science. He also said that my double vision was a known effect of astigmatism, which I have and has gotten worse. I also liked that he introduced himself as Dave. I am so tired of doctors who call me by my first name and then expect to be called Dr. Whatever. He also explained that the correction change in my prescriptions is large, so I may get dizzy or even nauseous the first week I wear the new glasses. All in all, I am very pleased.

Last year my previous optometrist said that my prescription was fine. I really didn't like her attitude when I told her I would be buying my glasses on the internet. My new optometrist confirms that my prescription should have been updated last year.

Good you found an Optomistrist you can trust. When I retired from the military the Dr said everything was fine. Not too long afterwards, I got to the point where I had to close one eye to get rid of the multiple headlights coming at me when I was driving. Mrs D dragged me off to the eye Dr, and she is great. When she set the lens machine to the correct prescription.....holy jeez what a difference. She said I had astigmatism and a 20% prism would correct it. That was in 1996 and she has been my optometrist ever since.
It sure is comforting when you have the proper Dr.

Tell me more, I also have severe astigmatism and mine is getting worse, the double vision has happened a couple of times, too.

And my Ocular Migraines are starting to hurt...

Tell me more, I also have severe astigmatism and mine is getting worse, the double vision has happened a couple of times, too.

And my Ocular Migraines are starting to hurt...
Do you get the double vision even when one eye is closed? Back in 2008 I had a scary episode. It looked like Shreddy had four distinct eyes (with the left or right eye shut). I went to the ER and the neurologists said it was a brain thing, not an eye thing, so most likely a form of migraine. They referred me to the hospital ophthalmologist, who said it was my eyes. She couldn't/wouldn't explain why it happened in episodes. I saw several ophthalmologists at the hospital. I have been seeing another ophthalmologist for two years and one other optometrist and no one ever said anything about double vision from astigmatism. I Googled and it is only mentioned in the Wikipedia article. It also says that astigmatism can cause migraines. I'm thinking that it is not a very common symptom of astigmatism, so they just didn't think of it.

I'll tell you how it goes when I get the new eye glasses.

Do you get the double vision even when one eye is closed? Back in 2008 I had a scary episode. It looked like Shreddy had four distinct eyes (with the left or right eye shut). I went to the ER and the neurologists said it was a brain thing, not an eye thing, so most likely a form of migraine. They referred me to the hospital ophthalmologist, who said it was my eyes. She couldn't/wouldn't explain why it happened in episodes. I saw several ophthalmologists at the hospital. I have been seeing another ophthalmologist for two years and one other optometrist and no one ever said anything about double vision from astigmatism. I Googled and it is only mentioned in the Wikipedia article. It also says that astigmatism can cause migraines. I'm thinking that it is not a very common symptom of astigmatism, so they just didn't think of it.

Not sure whether this is something you want to pursue, but have you ever seen a neuro-ophthalmologist? I saw one several years ago for a chronic headache condition; he wasn't able to help me, but it might be an avenue for you to explore if it's something you're concerned about. He had completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in ophthalmology.

The double vision is scary, because it's happened twice now while I've been driving, most of the time it's while I am at work or home. I hadn't put the ocular migraine together with the double vision, but now that I think about it, the migraine generally follows the double vision. I will have a quick chat with the optometrist next week when I haul Shrek in for his annual visit and choice of new glasses. The Opthamalogist is just up the hall if he thinks I should see him.

Thanks TL!

Not sure whether this is something you want to pursue, but have you ever seen a neuro-ophthalmologist? I saw one several years ago for a chronic headache condition; he wasn't able to help me, but it might be an avenue for you to explore if it's something you're concerned about. He had completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in ophthalmology.
Thank you for reminding me of this possibility. I have gotten so frustrated over the years that I had sort of let that idea slip.

The first ophthalmologist, the one at the hospital, was convinced it was eyes. She did a test where I looked through a paddle with lots of little holes. I could see clearly through that, so she said it was obviously a question of me needing glasses. That seemed logical until I got home and realized that I hadn't been having an episode when she did that test, so it didn't really prove anything about the episodes. The fact that she believed it was eyes meant that I couldn't go on with tests for a neurological reason. She did, however, discover that I have glaucoma. I kept on seeing her for the glaucoma for several years.

I eventually opted for another ophthalmologist because it was so inconvenient seeing her. The receptionists would make appointments for everyone she was going to see in the afternoon at 13h00. I would usually get to see her at around 16h30. By the time I was done and ready to make my next appointment, it would be past 17h and the receptionists had gone home. They were terrible at returning calls. The other annoyance about going to the hospital was travel. It's in Montreal, in town. A half hour drive in ordinary traffic. Street parking in the area of the hospital is always all taken. I had to park the car in the expensive, valet parking next to the hospital. Public transportation to that hospital is ~1.5 hours. The ophthalmologist I see now is a mile away and there is a parking lot. It's about $10 by taxi for those times I get the pupil dilating drops. It's about 10 minutes by bus.

I'll see how it goes in terms of episodes of double vision when I get the new glasses. If I still get them, it's time to see a neuro-ophthalmologist.

The double vision is scary, because it's happened twice now while I've been driving, most of the time it's while I am at work or home. I hadn't put the ocular migraine together with the double vision, but now that I think about it, the migraine generally follows the double vision. I will have a quick chat with the optometrist next week when I haul Shrek in for his annual visit and choice of new glasses. The Opthamalogist is just up the hall if he thinks I should see him.

Thanks TL!
So, you get it in episodes too.

I've been lucky. I used to get another type of visual migraine and twice got it while driving. The first time I was stuck in a traffic jam and it went away before I got to the end of the block. :LOL: The second time, I pulled over and waited for it to go away. So far, the double vision thing hasn't struck while I was driving. It has prevented me from getting into the car to drive on several occasions.

Maybe you should be asking to see a neuro-ophthalmologist too.

I went to a neuro-opthamologist for diplopia (fancy name for double vision) and had a Fresnel lens pasted onto my left lens (driving glasses) and that took away the diplopia and made it safe for me to drive. (I didn't have any headaches associated with it.)
Severe astigmatism is a real PITA! And it doesn't get any better as a person ages!
Hilary Clinton is/was wearing a Fresnel lens.

Hillary Clinton: Does Secretary of State have double vision after blood clot scare? | Mail Online

I went to a neuro-opthamologist for diplopia (fancy name for double vision) and had a Fresnel lens pasted onto my left lens (driving glasses) and that took away the diplopia and made it safe for me to drive. (I didn't have any headaches associated with it.)
Severe astigmatism is a real PITA! And it doesn't get any better as a person ages!
Hilary Clinton is/was wearing a Fresnel lens.

Hillary Clinton: Does Secretary of State have double vision after blood clot scare? | Mail Online
Yup, my diplopia is "double monocular diplopia". I have episodes of seeing double with either eye closed. :wacko:

I don't think a Fresnel lens would really help me, since it is only strongly double some of the time.

So, you get it in episodes too.

I've been lucky. I used to get another type of visual migraine and twice got it while driving. The first time I was stuck in a traffic jam and it went away before I got to the end of the block. :LOL: The second time, I pulled over and waited for it to go away. So far, the double vision thing hasn't struck while I was driving. It has prevented me from getting into the car to drive on several occasions.

Maybe you should be asking to see a neuro-ophthalmologist too.

There's one of them up the hallway, too! I'm in the right vision center for anything that comes up except detached retina.

In April we ordered Amazon.com: New Trent PowerPak Xtreme 12000mAh Rugged Water/Dirt/Shockproof Dual USB Port External Battery Charger/Power Pack for Smartphones, Tablets and more: Cell Phones & Accessories. I charged it up, but it wouldn't charge my phone. Today I was finally going to do something about it, see if I could get it replaced. But, then I remembered that I have a wonky USB - USB micro cable. It hadn't been giving me trouble back in April or May in terms of charging my phone. You use the connector that comes with your phone or tablet to charge the PowerPak. So I figured I would give it a try with the new cable. I plugged in the PowerPak to charge and saw that it still had approximately 3/4 charge! After ~2 months! So, I unplugged it from the power and plugged it into my phone. Bingo! It worked like a charm. Charged my phone nice and fast.
hapydancsmil.gif

Yesterday after work I get home and my internet was out :mad:

I call my internet service provider and got their automated system, their automated system asked me what my problem was and I chose the appropriate option. When the system couldn't ping my modem, it gave me the option to set up an appointment, so I did. I never had to talk to a person.

He comes today, on time and fixes the issue. Apparently the little bit of wire that wasn't buried along the retaining wall was cut by the landscapers. He ran a new line, and gave me a new modem (I don't even pay a modem fee) for good measure. He left me his mobile number to call him directly if I have anymore issues.

It's really nice to have customer service go the way it should!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom